Carnival has changed the tradition of cruising

Cruisegoer

19 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

My first cruise at age 12 in 1989 was on the RCL Nordic Prince, it was at that time the epitome of classic cruising (per the reviews of my parents who had been cruising since the early 70s),

Carnival started in 1972 as a mass market cruise line by Ted Arison after he liberated some assets from NCL.

The epitome of class cruising were the ocean liners with different classes (including one for mass market), and the companies who sponsored those are mostly bankrupt or cost an arm and a leg.

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The epitome of class cruising were the ocean liners with different classes (including one for mass market), and the companies who sponsored those are mostly bankrupt or cost an arm and a leg.

There is a difference between "class" cruising such as White Star Line where you get the level of service you're paying for and classic cruising which Royal Caribbean was in those days.  By "classic cruising" I meant a high staff to guest ratio, superb room steward and wait staff service (even the Maitre de becomes very familiar with you), midnight buffets, food quality and menu, the entertainment staff who would sit at your table in the MDR and the Captain and staff who would be seated for dinner in the MDR, the Captain's Cocktail Hour, etc. Of course much of this has gotten impossible on the mega-ships but I think you understand now what I was referring to.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, richstowe said:

I strongly disagree and why would "the oldest set out to offer a different model. " ? I seem to sail on a different brand every cruise and believe that Carnival is mostly reacting to innovations , both good and bad , from other brands . 

RC has innovated with monster ships , amusement park options and spectacular entertainment . Many believe they have moved ahead of Carnival prestige wise . They instituted charges for things like burgers realizing there's a group out there that believe things are better when you pay for them and want to convince themselves that they are sailing a step above. Maybe they are .

Norwegian has led the way with incredibly diverse dining options . So many different choices, most with extra fees . In fact Norwegian has often led the way in segmenting the cruise market into different classes . Check out The Haven ,

Celebrity led with their smoking policies and by pushing the image of being a step up from the other mass market brands . Cruising for people who aren't part of the old newlywed & nearly dead crowd . Selling class .Now they are pushing the suite experience and splitting the ship into separate classes .

Princess has also pushed the image of  being at a higher level  . 

And then there's Carnival not pushing the envelope in any way but reacting to the moves of others . This is not an insult  as I'm not crazy about some of these changes . Carnival does seem to capture those who are just common folk . 

This was my reaction to the OP.  I don't see Carnival as the line that "changed the tradition of cruising" the most....they are more of a follower than a leader.  And what is a cruising tradition?  The only constants for me in all my cruises has been a ship on the ocean and change.  But lets go back to changes...you had Royal come out with the Mega ships and specialty places like Johnny Rockets to eat at.  You had NCL with Freestyle...talk about a break from "tradition" in terms of who we dine with, when we dine, where we dine,  and how we dress.  These I see as big "tradition" breakers that Carnival is slowly following catching up on. 

There have been many changes over the years that I have enjoyed and a few that I did not.  I like the more casual atmosphere with more options to choose from.  FTTF is meaningless to me.  I'm not Platinum and I wouldn't pay extra for services offered.  I also don't care if someone else wants to pay for the privilege to have therm.  I don't like burgers and will ask for more than option in the MDR if it appeals to me so I don't really understand OP's point there.  I don't see a change here.  As for daily room service, when asked I choose PM only with extra towels so we are  not bothered if we choose to sleep in or come back to our room after breakfast.  Most times we are not asked and they just do 2x anyways.  The changes that have affected me on Carnival I mainly enjoy.  Like the more casual dress code and anytime dining.  More choices of included places to dine at lunch since I am not a big Carnival Buffet fan.  More outdoor activities to do.  More comedy shows.

It is a good thing we all have so many ships to choose from when planning a vacation.  We don't all like the same things.  I don't think I am a "traditional" type of cruiser and will choose not to sail on a ship with formal dress codes and only traditional dining options.  But that's just me.  To each his own.  Happy sailing everyone.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Did I say I don’t like Carnival? I didn’t realize it was an all or nothing thing.  I have the ability to like and dislike many things and appreciate those that I think are good and dismiss those I dislike.  Perhaps if this country found this philosophy acceptable it wouldn’t be such a mess.

I'm sure someone corrected you further down this thread but you can choose twice a day cabin service.  We get it and have no doubt Carnival will continue to offer guests the "option" to request once a day.  I would think most guests with more than one cruise under their belt realize you can order anything off the menu...multiple entrees and multiple deserts.  For example, on lobster night I tell the staff to keep them coming until I cry uncle.  Don't assume everyone else on this board is clueless.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, UnorigionalName said:

"What cost $975 in 1989 would cost $1993.47 in 2018."

The thing is, not a lot of people in terms of the overall US/world population liked the old style of cruising.  Of course there are many people (like many people on this board) that were perfectly happy with the old product, but in general it was something that not a huge segment of the population liked.

With all the changes through the years, the current product is exploding in popularity and cruise lines are experiencing unprecedented increases in passengers and profits.  People like the newer model.  Satisfaction with cruises is currently very high.  I don't understand why people complain about the changes.  It's not "your" cruise line.  If it no longer fills your needs, go find another one.

Based on the pricing of 1989 & inflation costs of 2018, you can still get an upscale cruise, like before.  I had a truly upscale experience, with MSC Seaside a Inside Yacht Club Cabin: this included a Butler, Spa Access, Private Dining Room, Private Pool, Private Lounge, Premium Drink Package, Unlimited drinks & snacks from cabin mini-bar, etc.  All for $1,250 pp, for a seven night cruise (with $450 on-board credit & free wi-fi), plus Black Card Benefits.

For $4,000 you could get Yacht Club Balcony as well as passage on Cunard, voyages on Windstar, Oceana, Azmara, and perhaps even Crystal & Seaborn, with the right sales.  My point is, if you spend the equivalent of 1989 money, you can get meals & service that equal those times.  What the true upgrade is your large, well appointed accommodations, and ship features that did not exist at the time.  So you get what you pay for, if you move up to better lines, Premium or Luxury all inclusive. 

Edited by gkbiiii

On 2/23/2019 at 8:39 PM, mpdog42 said:

Of course, you say yes to FTTF, Because your not Platinum..Will you buy FTTF when you get your Platinum status??..Of course not...I have said it before FTTF cheats Plat's and diamonds.

How?

When you get in line at Guest services you cheat the Plat/Diam behind you

When you get a tender spot: You cheat a Plat/Diam behind you

and all because you paid Bribe Money (in my opinion) to jump in line!!

RC may have it's on set of problems but a least they don't offer FTTF (Bribe Money)

Mike

To be fair, if you have a Suite Gold Card with Royal, you get all the above as well.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, mpdog42 said:

Of course, you say yes to FTTF, Because your not Platinum..Will you buy FTTF when you get your Platinum status??..Of course not...I have said it before FTTF cheats Plat's and diamonds.

How?

RC may have it's on set of problems but a least they don't offer FTTF (Bribe Money)

Mike

At least two P/D benefits didn't exist before there was FTTF. The reality is FTTF subsidizes to some extent the perks P/D cruisers receive. You're welcome.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Don’t get me wrong, all lines have “modernized” cruising but IMHO Carnival has integrated the most number of practices to change the tradition of cruising, their worst being once a day servicing of your stateroom.  I would never want to have to chose just once in such a small room on vacation.  I wonder how many people on Carnival ships know they can order multiple items off the MDR menu?   They’ve convinced the masses that Guy Fierri burgers are a proper meal plan.  Again, yes I know everyone has different tastes but the burger push is real on Carnival.  Selling access to board the ship, FTTF, is also a “new” concept that I really don’t understand but yet I’ve purchased it on my upcoming cruise.

You can still have twice a day cabin service but morning service is okay for me.

I wonder how many people know that they can order multiple items off the MDR menu on other cruise lines too?

I like Guy's burgers myself.

I wish that they had FTTF before we reached Platinum, I would have purchased it.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:39 PM, mpdog42 said:

How?

Mike

Royal Caribbean has a new initiative called The Key. Check it out... you may be surprised.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve551 said:

You can still have twice a day cabin service but morning service is okay for me.

I wonder how many people know that they can order multiple items off the MDR menu on other cruise lines too?

I like Guy's burgers myself.

I wish that they had FTTF before we reached Platinum, I would have purchased it.

Rumors show Holland America may be charging for additional entrees in the MDR very soon, if not already.

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Rumors show Holland America may be charging for additional entrees in the MDR very soon, if not already.

Where did this rumor start? A Celebrity board? LoL.  

HAL is a wonderful, old time line, the notion of charging in MDR off regular menu makes no sense.

14 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Congratulations on starting the most outrageous rumor of the week . 🏆

I don’t know anything about Holland America, but what is so outrageous about that comment. I know that you can order steakhouse selections on both Carnival and NCL, as I’ve seen them on the menu, for an additional cost. Not outrageous at all. 

8 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I don’t know anything about Holland America, but what is so outrageous about that comment. I know that you can order steakhouse selections on both Carnival and NCL, as I’ve seen them on the menu, for an additional cost. Not outrageous at all. 

Holland is the most traditional mass market cruiseline . It was the last to abandon male hosts , organized bridge classes , smoking on balcony's etc, etc . Limiting mains in ship MDR's may happen someday but it won't be HAL who begins this indecency . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Royal Caribbean has a new initiative called The Key. Check it out... you may be surprised.

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive and special amenities during their cruise vacation: 

• Priority check-in and boarding*
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom**
  • Exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® 
  • Private hours at onboard activities*** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider®  and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • Reserved seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater and Studio B.
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

29 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Not my rumor to start... see for yourself.

From what I can tell without reading the whole thread is that was that the $10 charge was for entrees on a special menu.

I love how several of the commenters made me think of the old lady from Polaner All-fruit commercial who faints when the country man asks to be passed the jelly, except they'd faint over the thought of someone asking for a second entree. :classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, schazzy said:

From what I can tell without reading the whole thread is that was that the $10 charge was for entrees on a special menu.

I love how several of the commenters made me think of the old lady from Polaner All-fruit commercial who faints when the country man asks to be passed the jelly, except they'd faint over the thought of someone asking for a second entree. :classic_laugh:

OP reported back that it wasn’t a special menu.

9 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Not my rumor to start... see for yourself.

Theories seem to abound on the HAL board about this. The scan itself looks like it was photo-shopped as lines appear to be cut. Other thoughts are this happened on a Culinary Afficanado’s cruise perhaps by the Culinary Council.  Constant though is that not many have experienced this on their recent sailings so I’m not sure it holds water.

• Like 1