Carnival has changed the tradition of cruising

Cruisegoer

5 minutes ago, ecarbine said:

I find it interesting that many of the Platinum and Diamond level cruiser speak about it like it is some kind of God given right! It is a perk that is offered by Carnival Cruise Line, the same line that offers FTTF for a fee.

There is no cheating going on, there are no bribes being paid, no jumping in line, just people who feel entitled, who resent others who are willing to pay for the same benefit.

I am not entitled, but platinum is something I have earned!

I have been with carnival since 1993, and other's have been a lot longer, so in your opinion some first time cruiser who paid his fee(Bribe Money)for FTTF should be ahead of me, in the tender line or at Guest services...I Think Not!!

Mike

6 hours ago, rolloman said:

All rooms were ready upon boarding going back as early as the 2000's.  In today's  world they have conveniently trained everyone to believe paying for the privilege is a big deal.  On the upside Platinum and above still have the honor, for which I give props to Carnival because no one else is doing that. 

I believe you are incorrect on the first point.

• Like 1

On the twice a day cabin servicing, we got asked at the start if the cruise and said twice a day. But in retrospect I wish i thought to ask for a third option:

"You don't need to clean the whole cabin in the PM, just take a quick look and see if we need fresh towels." If it was a beach day, you might have come back from that and showered and want more towels for showering the next morning. If I didn't shower after the morning cleaning, fine, nothing needs to be done.

7 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

I have been with carnival since 1993, and other's have been a lot longer, so in your opinion some first time cruiser who paid his fee(Bribe Money)for FTTF should be ahead of me, in the tender line or at Guest services...I Think Not!!

Mike

If they get in line before you do, they absolutely should be ahead of you.

The guidelines are set by Carnival and they decided our loyalty benefits,(I am also a Platinum) are available for a price and therefore loyalty has been trivialized!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

I have said it before FTTF cheats Plat's and diamonds

Well, not really, P&D's basically are given FTTF as perk, others have to pay for it if they want it. Also, P&D's are given priority over the people who paid for FTTF:

A Few Facts on Faster to the Fun

• VIFP Diamond and Platinum members and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are the only guests to have access to the Captain’s Lounge at embarkation.   
  • Similar to airlines boarding first class and then elite frequent flyers, etc., we will start boarding with VIFP Diamond and Platinum members, followed by guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations and then FTTF guests.
  • The number of people who may purchase the FTTF package will be capacity controlled based upon the number of VIFP Diamond and Platinum members booked on the sailing.
1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

RC may have it's on set of problems but a least they don't offer FTTF

No, they have "The Key" instead.

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive and special amenities during their cruise vacation: 

• Priority check-in and boarding*
  • Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom**
  • Exclusive welcome lunch at Chops Grille® 
  • Private hours at onboard activities*** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider®  and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
  • Priority port of call debarkation
  • Reserved seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater and Studio B.
  • VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet
  • Choice debarkation with an exclusive a la carte breakfast

• Like 2

Just now, mpdog42 said:

Are you sayng that is a good idea?

Nope, I think it is fine just the way it is.  Way back when (about a yea ago) when this first popped up (I started a thread on this based upon something I heard on a social media site), I was rather outspoken against it if it were true.  It was not then, and while I have no reason to think it is so now, the fact is there are a whole lot of plats out there which could make it untenable in the not so distant future.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Nope, I think it is fine just the way it is.  Way back when (about a yea ago) when this first popped up (I started a thread on this based upon something I heard on a social media site), I was rather outspoken against it if it were true.  It was not then, and while I have no reason to think it is so now, the fact is there are a whole lot of plats out there which could make it untenable in the not so distant future.

Ok that's fair, and you are right it may happen soon!

mike

21 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Mike

I don’t understand.  I purchased FTTF in August.  We boarded after Platinums and Diamonds.  And the number of FTTF they sell (or if they offer it at all) is based on how many Plats/Diamonds are sailing.  So it won’t be any more competition for tenders/guest services.  It may just be that some of the people are FTTF rather than Platinum/Diamond.  But if it’s going to be 100 people (random, arbitrary number - no idea how many they actually allow) either way, what does it matter whether those 100 “earned” that or paid for it?  Not to mention, there wasn’t a single person in the “special” guest service line any time we walked by it (even when the regular line was quite long), so I’m not sure this is that big a concern.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mpdog42 said:

Mike

Carnival never promised that P/D cruisers would be the only ones, exclusively, to get these benefits forever and ever, and that P/D cruisers will never, ever, ever have to wait in line behind some lowly blue, red, or gold member.

What P/D cruisers are getting is all of those things for FREE (and no, taking a bunch of cruises does NOT equal paying for those perks). 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Carnival never promised that P/D cruisers would be the only ones, exclusively, to get these benefits forever and ever, and that P/D cruisers will never, ever, ever have to wait in line behind some lowly blue, red, or gold member.

What P/D cruisers are getting is all of those things for FREE (and no, taking a bunch of cruises does NOT equal paying for those perks). 

Without belaboring the point, loyalty programs DO in fact reward frequent cruisers with perks, the more cruises the more the perks.  Whether they keep these in place or make them only for the elite of the elite (due to numbers) is their prerogative.  That said, if they offer it, it is by design that Diamonds and Plats can use them.  If the lower levels (you use the term lowly) feel neglected, sail more to get them.  

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Without belaboring the point, loyalty programs DO in fact reward frequent cruisers with perks, the more cruises the more the perks.  Whether they keep these in place or make them only for the elite of the elite (due to numbers) is their prerogative.  That said, if they offer it, it is by design that Diamonds and Plats can use them.  If the lower levels (you use the term lowly) feel neglected, sail more to get them.  

Again, they are getting the perks for FREE. The "free" part is the loyalty benefit. Carnival never promised that others couldn't pay extra for a similar experience. Lots of companies offer loyalty programs, but also allow those who haven't gotten to the top tiers to pay extra for more benefits. Forvinstance, I can pay for extra airline miles or hotel nights, even if I haven't "earned" the extra free miles or nights. 

2 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Again, they are getting the perks for FREE. The "free" part is the loyalty benefit. Carnival never promised that others couldn't pay extra for a similar experience. Lots of companies offer loyalty programs, but also allow those who haven't gotten to the top tiers to pay extra for more benefits. Forvinstance, I can pay for extra airline miles or hotel nights, even if I haven't "earned" the extra free miles or nights. 

I am not disagreeing with you.

1 hour ago, Cruisegoer said:

I certainly believe Carnival has spearheaded the change if for no other reason than they are the oldest that set out to offer a different model. 

I strongly disagree and why would "the oldest set out to offer a different model. " ? I seem to sail on a different brand every cruise and believe that Carnival is mostly reacting to innovations , both good and bad , from other brands . 

RC has innovated with monster ships , amusement park options and spectacular entertainment . Many believe they have moved ahead of Carnival prestige wise . They instituted charges for things like burgers realizing there's a group out there that believe things are better when you pay for them and want to convince themselves that they are sailing a step above. Maybe they are .

Norwegian has led the way with incredibly diverse dining options . So many different choices, most with extra fees . In fact Norwegian has often led the way in segmenting the cruise market into different classes . Check out The Haven ,

Celebrity led with their smoking policies and by pushing the image of being a step up from the other mass market brands . Cruising for people who aren't part of the old newlywed & nearly dead crowd . Selling class .Now they are pushing the suite experience and splitting the ship into separate classes .

Princess has also pushed the image of  being at a higher level  . 

And then there's Carnival not pushing the envelope in any way but reacting to the moves of others . This is not an insult  as I'm not crazy about some of these changes . Carnival does seem to capture those who are just common folk . 

Edited by richstowe

47 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Staterooms not being ready upon boarding IS a relatively newer concept, probably began around 2009, and if room steward crew count has declined (I can neither confirm or deny the concept but would understand financially why it’s true) the reasoning is clear.  I do wonder though from personal experience how so many rooms simply aren’t ready because by the time they ask you to be out of your stateroom (approx 8am on debarkation morning), I tend to notice about 40%-50% of rooms already turned over.

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Staterooms not being ready upon boarding IS a relatively newer concept, probably began around 2009, and if room steward crew count has declined (I can neither confirm or deny the concept but would understand financially why it’s true) the reasoning is clear.  I do wonder though from personal experience how so many rooms simply aren’t ready because by the time they ask you to be out of your stateroom (approx 8am on debarkation morning), I tend to notice about 40%-50% of rooms already turned over.

I wake up in the morning, go to the pool or port, then come back to my room that is clean. Apparently, I am supposed to be outraged because there should be a second service in there because I need two bath towels a day. This will really break the Carnival business model. Even better is that I can ask for it if I want it.

10 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I strongly disagree and why would "the oldest set out to offer a different model. " ? I seem to sail on a different brand every cruise and believe that Carnival is mostly reacting to innovations , both good and bad , from other brands . 

My first cruise at age 12 in 1989 was on the RCL Nordic Prince, it was at that time the epitome of classic cruising (per the reviews of my parents who had been cruising since the early 70s),  My second cruise was on the then glitzy and obnoxiously glamourous Carnival Ecstasy in 1994.  I remember the commercials with Kathy Lee Gifford, “If they could see me now, on a FUN ship cruise”.....that line alone forever changed the impression of cruising. It was meant to appeal to the masses, to the non-cruiser.  What the non-cruiser didn’t know, the traditions of cruising, they might never find out about if only taking a Carnival cruise (granted back then Carnival still offered many of the same traditional cruise indulgences as the other lines) but you simply didn’t see Royal Caribbean or any of the other lines (mostly non-American at that point in history) advertising........so that’s how Carnival, as the oldest brand, began to change the traditions and the model.

I have my opinions that if Carnival hadn’t done so, cruising wouldn’t be as mass market and the costs would probably have increased with inflation. The cost of a lowest category inside cabin on a 7 day Bermuda cruise in 1989 on RCL was $975pp with 3 in a cabin.  Can you imagine what that cost might equate to now with inflation if cruise lines never found the need to fall in a mass market affordable budget????  Again, not a bad thing, just reality.

• Thanks 1