3 Adults on Amtrak

babs135

For 3 adults you would need the bedroom Suite that holds 4. Same thing on both Superliner and Viewliner. 

From Amtrak,,, where you should have gone.

The purchase of sleeping accommodations is considered to be an upgrade to your regular rail fare. The charge is applied as an add-on, usually to the lowest rail fare available. When you share a sleeper, you will be charged only one accommodation charge for all parties sharing the sleeping accommodation. Each passenger pays regular rail fare.

Thanks.  I did actually ask a travel agent how it worked and sadly she was quite clueless.  She did, however, say that she 'thought' that they could remove one of the walls to make a bigger cabin!!!  To be honest, I wasn't sure if she was joking or not!!

No "single" bedrooms although you could book one just for one person. If two of the three adults don't mind being "cozy" (real cozy!) they could share the lower berth with the third person in the upper.

You might consider two Roomettes. That would accommodate up to 4 adults and would be less expensive than two bed rooms. If you call, you can ask/request that they can be across the corridor from each other. All of you would also have meals included.

Call Amtrak!

Edited by TinCan782

In the UK.    It was the comment about 'removing' a wall that puzzled me. The agent was manning an Amtrak stand at a recent Destinations Show I attended so I assumed she would know what she was talking about. And yes, she did mention about snuggling up close together!!!! 

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The bedrooms have doors, so two adjoining ones can be combined . A less expensive alternative would be to book a bedroom (which comes with open shower/bathroom) and a nearby roomette (no bath) for #3.  During the day, the bedroom has ample space for three to sit comfortably.

This is not quite correct.  A roomette on a viewliner (single level ) sleeper does have a toilet and sink in it.  Superliner sleepers do not have a toilet in the roomette.   In the bedrooms, the lower berth is about 40" wide, if you wish to snuggle.  EM

There is a forum of Amtrak fans here:  https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

It is not an official Amtrak website, just one for fans of rail travel.  Lots of advice there. 

Last April, I took the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles.  BTW, it was a great, relaxing trip with great scenery.   I had a roomette to myself.  The train car was a Superliner - the double-decker.  It was great for myself, would have been very cozy for 2 people.  Two facing comfy seats a little tray.  At night, the seats are folded down by your cabin attendant and made into a bed. Will only fit one person.  The second person will sleep in the pulldown bunk.   There is no room for a 3rd or 4th person to even visit in the roomette.  

Definitely take a closer look at what your particular train offers... 

You DO NOT WANT 3 people in an Amtrak roomette in either a Viewliner or a Superliner sleeping car!  A bedroom can hold 3 people, but for sleeping, it would be uncomfortable in my opinion.  Two on the lower bed--crowded, I think--one in the upper berth.

Two roomettes across from each other, or next to each other, would be more comfortable as long as one person is willing to climb up/down to an upper berth on a moving train.  A bedroom for two and a roomette for one would be a comfortable option, but, again, someone has to climb up/down into an upper berth in either accommodation.

A site for Amtrak discussion was posted by a previous person.  I participate in that website's discussion and recommend it for good advice.

• Like 1