My favorite topic! - Formal Night!

Missbollinger

I won’t lie, as a mother of 4, formal night is one of the highlights of a cruise for me. We have two and I plan on going all out. This year, I have already lost 20lbs and plan on losing more before the cruise, I need inspiration, last time (7 years ago) I wore this dress. 02d26e131badf0af70f4041e6df38fe1.jpg

I want sparkles and I think I want red this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Congratulations on the weight loss! I have found cruising or similar goals are really helpful motivators. Your pictured dress is lovely but I would think wearing something more colorful and sparkling would be more FUN...which is what vacation is all about! Dillard's sales racks can yield some excellent finds. Once prom season has come and gone, there should be some really great deals out there all over the place. Do you know a good tailor? Or able to alter yourself? I would urge you to not worry over the size of a dress and get one when you see one that you love, even if you worry that you would shrink out of it. Just plan on having it altered if necessary, even with the alterations expense...the cost would be worth it IMO to have a happy formal night and celebrate your improved health and fitness/

• Like 1

Are you near a Dillards?  I just bought a gorgeous purple gown there, sequins/lace on top.  They had a lot of different colors and some prints on the sale racks.

Missy

We do have one close by, back when I was slimmer and younger, I could shop the juniors dresses post-prom. Thanks!

Congratulations on the weight loss! I have found cruising or similar goals are really helpful motivators. Your pictured dress is lovely but I would think wearing something more colorful and sparkling would be more FUN...which is what vacation is all about! Dillard's sales racks can yield some excellent finds. Once prom season has come and gone, there should be some really great deals out there all over the place. Do you know a good tailor? Or able to alter yourself? I would urge you to not worry over the size of a dress and get one when you see one that you love, even if you worry that you would shrink out of it. Just plan on having it altered if necessary, even with the alterations expense...the cost would be worth it IMO to have a happy formal night and celebrate your improved health and fitness/

That is a great idea, I will be patient and see what the sales yield!

I do not shop in the Dillard's Juniors...not for 35 years!  The purple dress was from the regular ladies' formal dresses.  Try it...

I also recommend looking at sizes you might not think of.  I tried on a larger size because it was the only one they had, and by putting in new seams under the arms, I'm good to go.

• Like 1

I find my dresses at Burlington or Marshalls.   You also can hit Macy's clearance rack. I never pay full price for anything. I like to bargain hunt. I am not so much about formal night like my husband is. Everyone is different. Congrats on the weight loss. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

You got all 4 of them?  You go, girl !   You're right, you can't bring them all - sequinned dresses are very heavy and you'll use up lots of weight just carrying them.  I'd vote for the first one(blue) and the third (gold long) - they're so pretty!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

I'm glad to see someone get excited about dressing up on formal night. There's a handful of relentless posters of the princess thread that would like to see other.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I love to dress up! It's one of my favorite parts of cruising. I try to have a new dress made every couple of years.

Me too!  Any time I find a fabulous one on the bargain rack I know I can always use it.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, PurpleHays said:

I love to dress up! It's one of my favorite parts of cruising. I try to have a new dress made every couple of years.

I am finally going to try making a dress for formal night.  Like you I love to dress on formal night.  It is the only time I get to put a dress on.  I have a black and gold stretch lace that is lined.  I plan on view B.  It is a pull over with no darts or zipper.  I will let the fabric carry the dress.

https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6886

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to try one of these for our next cruise:

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1542 in an emerald green (I'm a redhead) or 

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1534 in a lace top and chiffon or georgette skirt modified to knee length. 

Somehow, I doubt I get it done during the next semester that starts my student teaching. . .

• Like 1

My favorite part of cruising is that I can get dolled up on formal night!  I'm so sad that many lines are doing away with it.  I'm looking at HAL for a Panama Canal cruise in November, and hoping there will be at least two "Gala" nights.  I've lost some weight too, and I join you in hoping to find something colorful and sparkly!! 

• Like 2