Needed Documentation

carnival03

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I usually take my driver’s license ashore with me.... government issued picture ID.

7 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Occasionally a government issued picture ID.   Depends on port.

Just the answer I was looking for. Thank you both!

I usually have my passport, my passport card and my state ID. And pictures of my documents in my email and photos phone just in case lost or stolen. Depends on what port. I would invest in a passport card next time you renew your passport. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than a real ID in the state of CT(175.00)the passport card is accepted as ID to fly domestically. international you still need a passport.

8 hours ago, rcclmiami said:

I carry a passport card for port I’d. If you miss the ship, it speeds up issuing a new passport to get home.

Great idea, I will have to consider getting one.

8 hours ago, Alrana Eris said:

I usually have my passport, my passport card and my state ID. And pictures of my documents in my email and photos phone just in case lost or stolen. Depends on what port. I would invest in a passport card next time you renew your passport. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than a real ID in the state of CT(175.00)the passport card is accepted as ID to fly domestically. international you still need a passport.

PA real ID isn't expensive.

Some ports, nothing.  Some ports, photo ID.  Some ports, passport.

The more compelling question however is this:  What grown adult DOESN'T carry photo ID with them pretty much at all times?

The best advice?  Carry your passport any time you are on foreign soil if the cruise line isn't holding it (never really on Caribbean itineraries, maybe European).  You paid good money for it.  It can be very useful should anything go wrong.

People here will tell you that they keep it in their safe and rely on the crew to retrieve it and hand it off to the port agent if you don't come back.  But personally, I don't really need to rely on living in a nannie state where everyone takes care of everything for me.  It's a passport- stick it in your back and you're good to go.

Food for thought.....

In this modern electronic data world, pretty much anyone who is conscious, alert and breathing can verify their identity to a government official without ID.

Its when you AREN'T conscious, or alert, or breathing that the picture ID comes in handy.  Its a ***** when the police, paramedics or ambulance crews can't get ahold of your family because they don;t know who you are because you aren't carrying ID.

My $.02

12 hours ago, rcclmiami said:

You haven’t watched “Live PD”, have you? It is amazing how many people pulled over don’t carry Id.

Most of them don't want to be identified.

MOST people carry ID.  And when pulled over, do nothing interesting to show up on TV.

This thread was not started to get out of carrying ID while in port. We always carry some sort of identification, even if it's a work ID. I simply asked the question to receive clarification on which ID is appropriate and required. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:28 PM, carnival03 said:

This thread was not started to get out of carrying ID while in port. We always carry some sort of identification, even if it's a work ID. I simply asked the question to receive clarification on which ID is appropriate and required. Thank you.

To get this back on topic.

In the Carribbean/Bahamas except for Cuba...

Carry your seapass card, and some sort of official photo ID.  Mininum  for the photo ID we have used is a Drivers License (has always worked for us).  If you want to use the passport card or an actual passport that is your pergorative.

Can not answer if a work id that has both a picture and name with the name matching the name on seapass card would work as I have never tried this.  Basically the guards at the actual pier want to make sure you are on a ship currently docked at said pier area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Other than passport what other form of ID could one have for a 12 year old.

In most places under 16 does not need a photo ID.  Other ID could include birth certificate or for outside US there are others can't remember the official names for.

7 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Other than passport what other form of ID could one have for a 12 year old.

Nothing else as long as the child is traveling with both parents and they share the same last name.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Nothing else as long as the child is traveling with both parents and they share the same last name.

Not both parents.  Husband not into cruising.  It's not a big deal for us as he has a passport and I am one of those who always takes it off the ship with me.  I was just wondering.