Grandeur

ohfan

We are sailing out of Baltimore to NE and Canada in June and need a little information please.  Specifically what TV channels are available?  Is there a ship app for cell phones to talk to others in our party?  If so, what is the price?  I tried calling RCL for help and even read several reviews on CC. but recieved very little information.  Thanks for your help.

11 minutes ago, ohfan said:

...  Is there a ship app for cell phones to talk to others in our party?  ...

Texting via the RCI App is not yet available on Grandeur, but it could be by the time you cruise.  So far, there's been no charge for texting using the RCI App.

36 minutes ago, ohfan said:

We are sailing out of Baltimore to NE and Canada in June and need a little information please.  Specifically what TV channels are available?  Is there a ship app for cell phones to talk to others in our party?  If so, what is the price?  I tried calling RCL for help and even read several reviews on CC. but recieved very little information.  Thanks for your help.

Most of the TV channels have some sort of RC programming.  There are also MSNBC, Fox News & BBC.  There are two sports channels - I think that they are both ESPN.  There are rotating children's programming on three of the channels.  Random prime time TV shows pop up on two of the channels.  There is another odd BBC channel.  There is CincoMas, a channel in Spanish.  

Grandeur does not have interactive TV - you can't "do" anything on your TV except watch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Most of the TV channels have some sort of RC programming.  There are also MSNBC, Fox News & BBC.  There are two sports channels - I think that they are both ESPN.  There are rotating children's programming on three of the channels.  Random prime time TV shows pop up on two of the channels.  There is another odd BBC channel.  There is CincoMas, a channel in Spanish.  

Grandeur does not have interactive TV - you can't "do" anything on your TV except watch it.

My interest is piqued!  What is the 'odd' BBC channel?   Is this BBC first which shows popular old shows?  I take it the other channel is BBC America or World News.

ETA How 'old' are the tvs---  do all cabins have flat screens these days?

Edited by dutchclogs

3 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

My interest is piqued!  What is the 'odd' BBC channel?   Is this BBC first which shows popular old shows?  I take it the other channel is BBC America or World News.

ETA How 'old' are the tvs---  do all cabins have flat screens these days?

I think that every ship I have been on (which does not include the Grandeur) have had flat screen TV's mounted to an adjustable wall mounted bracket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 11:15 PM, Merion_Mom said:

So....on Grandeur there is no interactive TV OR phone app...you actually have to go to guest services to get a print out and check your bill? 

Are there Kiosks to check your bill? I am sailing on her on April 18th 2019.

HLR

4 minutes ago, HLR said:

So....on Grandeur there is no interactive TV OR phone app...you actually have to go to guest services to get a print out and check your bill? 

HLR

No kiosks, no phone app (yet).  Guest Services will give you a printout.

1 hour ago, HLR said:

HLR

The Grandeur is the traditional old school cruise experience.  No app support.  No interactive TV.  You have to use guest services or the phone to make reservations.   The photos are printed as there are no digital kiosks.  There are no reservations for any shows.  There are a handful of specialty restaurants.   From a free food standpoint there is Windjammer, MDR, Park Café in the solarium and Some small snacks where the specialty coffee is in the centrum area.   Those are the food options.

1 hour ago, HLR said:

… and the crew talks about how the earth is flat, and hopefully we don't sail off the edge! 🙂

Grandeur is a great ship and I'm very much looking forward to our cruise next month.

12 hours ago, Wildcatfish said:

… and the crew talks about how the earth is flat, and hopefully we don't sail off the edge! 🙂

Grandeur is a great ship and I'm very much looking forward to our cruise next month.

There we go! THIS is the kind of response I was trying to elicit from my post. But you forgot about Sea Monsters in the Bermuda Triangle. 

I am looking forward to a relaxing cruise...and even though this sailing on the 18th encompasses Passover, Easter AND Spring Break in Baltimore...it should still be quieter than the Bells and Whistles ships..aye?

Howard

We did the Easter week cruise (12 night before and after Easter) last year and it was wonderful and very relaxing.  Very different from Oasis class and Anthem.  Not that they're bad, just different experiences.  In fact we're doing a family cruise aboard Allure later this year.

… and HLR you're right about the Bermuda Triangle.  Grandeur doesn't have the new technology to keep Sea Monsters away.  Although I think one of the activities is to see who can spot the most sea monsters while cruising the Bermuda Triangle.  Survivor gets a Royal Caribbean keychain.

Edited by Wildcatfish

16 minutes ago, Wildcatfish said:

We did the Easter week cruise (12 night before and after Easter) last year and it was wonderful and very relaxing.  Very different from Oasis class and Anthem.  Not that they're bad, just different experiences.  In fact we're doing a family cruise aboard Allure later this year.

… and HLR you're right about the Bermuda Triangle.  Grandeur doesn't have the new technology to keep Sea Monsters away.  Although I think one of the activities is to see who can spot the most sea monsters while cruising the Bermuda Triangle.  Survivor gets a Royal Caribbean keychain.

We were on the 12 night Easter Grandeur sailing last year as well.  

Loved that they they handed out chocolate everywhere.  The egg hunt was terribly organized though.  Having the egg hunt in the Main theater and letting kids pick up the eggs as they entered the theater rather than letting all the kids into the theater and then letting them all start at the same time was terribly disappointing for the kids.   If you were not one of the first 20 kids in the theater you did not get any eggs as they were all gone by the time you finally got in.

49 minutes ago, rimmit said:

We were on the 12 night Easter Grandeur sailing last year as well.  

Loved that they they handed out chocolate everywhere.  The egg hunt was terribly organized though.  Having the egg hunt in the Main theater and letting kids pick up the eggs as they entered the theater rather than letting all the kids into the theater and then letting them all start at the same time was terribly disappointing for the kids.   If you were not one of the first 20 kids in the theater you did not get any eggs as they were all gone by the time you finally got in.

That sounds so weird! They should like do it in the Mini Golf course or something.... And what of Passover? I'm afraid if I go to the dinner I will end up leading it. I'm not religious, but I know the important prayers and passages of the service in Hebrew. I kinda want to go in honor of my [late] parents...but I don't know.

Howard

The egg hunt in the theatre seemed to be a good idea, but not well executed.  There were about 100 children, along with  200 adults waiting single file outside the theater until the appropriate time.  By the time the last half of the children entered the theater the eggs were gone.

Edited by Wildcatfish

21 hours ago, HLR said:

There we go! THIS is the kind of response I was trying to elicit from my post. But you forgot about Sea Monsters in the Bermuda Triangle. 

I am looking forward to a relaxing cruise...and even though this sailing on the 18th encompasses Passover, Easter AND Spring Break in Baltimore...it should still be quieter than the Bells and Whistles ships..aye?

Howard

Our last spring break cruise on Grandeur a couple of years ago, there were over 600 children onboard and not as much for them to do.  It wasn't the quieter relaxing cruise we're used to onboard.  It was a 9 night southeast coast and Bahamas cruise.  That said, the dates don't line up exactly for a lot of school breaks as they overlap so there might not be that many kids, but expect a lot.  We're going on 6-18 April and most spring breaks around here are either the entire week of 15-19 April or the weekend of easter (Fri-Mon) 19-22 April.  Compare the over 600 kids with a 12 night fall cruise (left 31 Oct) that only had like 10 kids onboard.

Edited by BND

10 hours ago, HLR said:

That sounds so weird! They should like do it in the Mini Golf course or something.... And what of Passover? I'm afraid if I go to the dinner I will end up leading it. I'm not religious, but I know the important prayers and passages of the service in Hebrew. I kinda want to go in honor of my [late] parents...but I don't know.

Howard

Grandeur doesn't have a mini golf course.

18 minutes ago, BND said:

Our last spring break cruise on Grandeur a couple of years ago, there were over 600 children onboard and not as much for them to do.  It wasn't the quieter relaxing cruise we're used to onboard.  It was a 9 night southeast coast and Bahamas cruise.  That said, the dates don't line up exactly for a lot of school breaks as they overlap so there might not be that many kids, but expect a lot.  We're going on 6-18 April and most spring breaks around here are either the entire week of 15-19 April or the weekend of easter (Fri-Mon) 19-22 April.  Compare the over 600 kids with a 12 night fall cruise (left 31 Oct) that only had like 10 kids onboard.

The 12 night cruise end of March into April wasn’t too bad last year.  There were probably about 200-300 kids max.   It was good number which was good so my kids have someone to play with.  Likely lower due to a 12 night sailing.

Not sure what’s gonna happen this Mar 22. Only 6 nights as they cut short the original 12 nighter for the dry dock.  With 12 kids and end of March it’s peak spring break season so it could be hopping.