ID for 16 yr old

My son needs 2 forms of ID. He doesn’t have his license, his permit nor is he a passport holder. Says he can use his student ID card. If this just has his picture and name but no birthdate, will he be ok along with his birth certificate?

Thanks,

Ida

I agree would either get a non-driver ID from DMV or just get a Passport. I would recommend having a passport, got them for my whole family kids are 7 and 10 just in case.  would hate to be stuck in a foreign country.

• Like 4

We also got the Passport card when we got our passports.

While a birth certificate might be fine for closed loop cruise. Everyone regardless of age will need a passport if you need to fly home for some unforeseen reason.

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This has been covered before. A school ID is not considered government issued, public school or not.  

I have read many accounts like the one below.

1 hour ago, jpe87 said:

In January my 16 year old nephew was able to check in for Anthem using a school issued photo ID and birth certificate.

I called Royal after checking him in online. It asks what documentation your using for ID and one of the selections is a student ID card. So I called Royal and the answer I got was it is OK as long as the school is public.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, luvIU said:

I called Royal after checking him in online. It asks what documentation your using for ID and one of the selections is a student ID card. So I called Royal and the answer I got was it is OK as long as the school is public.

Royal’s phone people are known for not giving correct information. Rather than trust the response, especially as you said the school ID has no date of birth, it would make more sense to go to the DMV,or similar, and get a state issued IDCard.  Passport would be the best solution. I would hate to risk a cruise based on information from a phone call.

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Royal’s phone people are known for not giving correct information. Rather than trust the response, especially as you said the school ID has no date of birth, it would make more sense to go to the DMV,or similar, and get a state issued IDCard.  Passport would be the best solution. I would hate to risk a cruise based on information from a phone call.

And I'd never take chance showing up at Pier, be denied the School ID and watch ship sail away without me. Doesn't take but minutes and few bucks to get a State issued ID...

• Like 1

Plan on getting the state ID, but see if they’ll take the school ID first.I can’t believe they won’t take it when it’s in the drop down menu for which 2 forms of ID your using.

15 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If the school is a public school then it is a government issued ID.

Incorrect, but understandable....

14 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This has been covered before. A school ID is not considered government issued, public school or not.  

Correect....

9 hours ago, luvIU said:

I called Royal and the answer I got was it is OK as long as the school is public.

Also Correct!   Royal has said a school ID ***OR**** Government ID is acceptable.  School ID are NOT government IDs, however they are accepted by Royal.

56 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Incorrect, but understandable....

Correect....

Also Correct!   Royal has said a school ID ***OR**** Government ID is acceptable.  School ID are NOT government IDs, however they are accepted by Royal.

They can only be acceptable if the regulations say they are and since the regulations specify government ID it stands to reason that the government at least considers them to be government issued. I pay taxes to my school and only a government entity may assess taxes. 

30 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They can only be acceptable if the regulations say they are and since the regulations specify government ID it stands to reason that the government at least considers them to be government issued. I pay taxes to my school and only a government entity may assess taxes. 

Try going through a security checkpoint at the airport and show your student ID, when they refuse to allow you access, let them know your school taxes make this a government issued ID. Drive over the border into Mexico or Canada and try the same on return to the USA.

Just because you pay taxes to an entity does not mean they have the authority to dispense official ID cards. These cards have no fraud protection, no protection against forgery, no universal standard to be compared to. 

They MIGHT be accepted as valid for a closed loop cruise (which have the most lax residency requirements of any international travel) but the certainly are not government issued. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Try going through a security checkpoint at the airport and show your student ID, when they refuse to allow you access, let them know your school taxes make this a government issued ID. Drive over the border into Mexico or Canada and try the same on return to the USA.

Just because you pay taxes to an entity does not mean they have the authority to dispense official ID cards. These cards have no fraud protection, no protection against forgery, no universal standard to be compared to. 

They MIGHT be accepted as valid for a closed loop cruise (which have the most lax residency requirements of any international travel) but the certainly are not government issued. 

We can quibble about definitions all we'd like, the fact that they are acceptable is what matters (and again, if they aren't government issued they wouldn't be acceptable). CBP vets all passengers during the cruise which is why the regulations allow the exception to a passport. As for flying here's what the TSA says: "TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18." As I understand it if someone under 18 is traveling alone then a student ID is accepted, at least for now.

18 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We can quibble about definitions all we'd like, the fact that they are acceptable is what matters (and again, if they aren't government issued they wouldn't be acceptable). CBP vets all passengers during the cruise which is why the regulations allow the exception to a passport. As for flying here's what the TSA says: "TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18." As I understand it if someone under 18 is traveling alone then a student ID is accepted, at least for now.

There is nothing to quibble about, your statement that a school ID is a government ID is false, plain and simple. 

Everything else we agree on. 

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There is nothing to quibble about, your statement that a school ID is a government ID is false, plain and simple. 

Everything else we agree on. 

OK, I'll bite.  

Public schools are run by the government, right?  If not, who runs (is in charge of) them?  They're not private companies. 

17 minutes ago, rbschultz said:

It is worth spending $150ish to get your child a passport. It will be good for 10 years and will give you peace of mind that you MAY or MAY NOT get get denied for a student ID. 

Or spend $15-20 and get a state ID card (similar to DL).