So do I hang up my Tux?

CLS/KAS

Just back from the Paradise on a 5 night and only 1 formal night.  Very disappointing in that most men didn’t wear a jacket and at best were in golf shirts.

However just for my DW, I dressed up including Jacket and tie and we had many nice compliments 

Point is that you should do what’s good for you as the bulk of the crowd thinks it’s after midnight at Walmart 

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Just back from the Paradise on a 5 night and only 1 formal night.  Very disappointing in that most men didn’t wear a jacket and at best were in golf shirts. 

You are on the wrong cruiseline if you expect more than an extremely small minority of men to wear a jacket on elegant night. 

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are on the wrong cruiseline if you expect more than an extremely small minority of men to wear a jacket on elegant night. 

Way over the top statemement.  First of all, what the heck is an extremely small minority?  You make it read like it is single digits...

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Way over the top statemement.  First of all, what the heck is an extremely small minority?  You make it read like it is single digits...

A minority is 49.9% of the passengers, which is 1499 passengers assuming there are 3000 passengers on the ship. Not sure how you concluded that means single digits when I said an extremely small minority.  10% of the passengers would still be 300 passengers in my example. 

I did a 7 day cruise on Miracle in December and an 8 day cruise on Sunshine a few weeks ago.  On the 4 elegant nights combined , I saw less than a hundred men wearing a jacket. Granted I didn’t see every passenger on elegant nights, but I didn’t see many men wearing jackets on both cruises. 

On 3/7/2019 at 1:02 PM, chocolate melting cake said:

Perhaps----but two warnings----what a man considers "sharply dressed" may not be considered the same by his wife, I wore this suit (yes-matching pants) on a cruise close to Mar. 17 last year and had to pull my mortified wife around the ship! 

us 2019.jpg

First of all, you are awesome! :classic_biggrin: Secondly, I know what you are saying, I think I have great taste in shirts, my DH (the closest I will ever come to having a wife) begs to differ and will pretend to not know me at times :classic_laugh:

Edited by schazzy

59 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

A minority is 49.9% of the passengers, which is 1499 passengers assuming there are 3000 passengers on the ship. Not sure how you concluded that means single digits when I said an extremely small minority.  10% of the passengers would still be 300 passengers in my example. 

I did a 7 day cruise on Miracle in December and an 8 day cruise on Sunshine a few weeks ago.  On the 4 elegant nights combined , I saw less than a hundred men wearing a jacket. Granted I didn’t see every passenger on elegant nights, but I didn’t see many men wearing jackets on both cruises. 

I’ll have to call you out on this one as there is no way there were 4 elegant nights on a 7 night cruise.  My guess is 2.

if you celebrated 2 other elegant nights on your own, you would have definitely been the minority with jackets

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

4 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I’ll have to call you out on this one as there is no way there were 4 elegant nights on a 7 night cruise.  My guess is 2.

if you celebrated 2 other elegant nights on your own, you would have definitely been the minority with jackets

The poster said " 7 day cruise on Miracle in December and an 8 day cruise on Sunshine".

There are 2 elegant nights on each of those. 2+2=4. Basic math.

4 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

He was actually talking about 4 elegant nights on the two cruises combined

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I will not argue the math with you, but there're still many people who dress up for elegant night, whether male or female, much closer to fifty percent than ten.... and yes before someone posts it I have heard many times about how it affects (or not) how people eat their meal.  At the end of the day it comes down to what  experience that we all want from our cruise vacations....

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will not argue the math with you, but there're still many people who dress up for elegant night, whether male or female, much closer to fifty percent than ten.... and yes before someone posts it I have heard many times about how it affects (or not) how people eat their meal.  At the end of the day it comes down to what  experience that we all want from our cruise vacations....

On the cruises I have been on, there haven't been anywhere near 50 percent of people dressed up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Regardless of the number of people who dress up or not, it has no impact on my cruise and no impact on my experience in the MDR. 

• Like 1

We have cruised during February the past two years (2018 on the Vista and 2019 on Celebrity). Both times it was mainly couples. I was really surprised at the number of people who dressed up for the elegant nights. There were quite a few tuxes/long or fancy cocktail dresses on both cruises. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, BoDidly said:

Hell No , I'm not paying to get the butter out of your Tux 😎 😁

I said Jacket which I no longer wear , these days it's a collard shirt

No more dry cleaning for me . Butter spots equals trash can !👍 

One of these?

5c9812db18d4367c81577706c850fb67.jpg

• Haha 1