So do I hang up my Tux?

CLS/KAS

Just got back off the Magic, Glory last year, and so on...

I told my DW if I can't find 5 other guys on Formal night wearing a Tux, this trip

I'm not bringing mine anymore.. well.. each year its less and less.. this past trip was 4 of us dressed..

I'm sure I missed a few.. but still,   on a Ship holding 3000 plus?...All the Picture spots are still there.

But Carnival has stopped renting Tux's.. so not seeming to really care anymore

"I'm on vacation.. I'm not getting dressed up" is told to me often..

The one reason I still do, I think, is because I love to see my DW all dressed up.

She enjoys it so.. and looks fwd to it...

but.....I ask an honest question...Guys...Ladies...

Should I bother with a Tux anymore...

or a suit, or as I have seen.. just a Polo shirt is the norm.. 

is a shame....tks

• Like 1

It's up to you. Wear it if you want. There's far too many "negative experiences" on here with people caring too much about what other people are doing. 

For me, that's the last thing I want to wear on vacation. There are fancier lines out there if you really find that atmosphere important

• Like 1

If you enjoy it, like the pictures, it's your cruise-----enjoy!

Have to admit to being a nonconformist formal night dresser. I own 4 tuxedos purchased on Ebay, non of which cost more than $35. Of course they are sold from rental shops and are normally what many will not rent! I have a "western tux", a silver with black velvet, a regular version and a white tux with blue "Yankee pinstripes". You may recognize me on a cruise because I'll be wearing one of two bow ties (also purchased on Ebay) black with either a red or white neon outline (you might also recognize me if you see a man in a white tux pulling an embarrassed wife along), If you like it go for it!

tuxedos.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Only if you want to. It's your vacation and dress in what makes you and your wife happy!!! I love to dress up on my cruise because I don't get to at home. But my DH likes less formal ,slacks and button down shirt. He wears what he is comfortable in and we dont care if its not what others do. It doses not bother me what others wear either. 

• Like 2

My thoughts . . .

Since cruising in general and cruising on Carnival in particular has become so commonplace, it just doesn't rank as a memorable time-stamping celebratory event. Early cruises with my 8 year-old son we both had tuxes and my wife was dressed to the nines, but those days are all gone. In the 60s I dressed in a suit when traveling on an airplane! This isn't done anymore. I'm sure there are cruise lines where tuxes would be EXPECTED to be worn at times. Carnival, thankfully, isn't one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you're driving in to port, I believe air travel restrictions on luggage may have a part in the lack of formal wear seen on ships. Also, times are changing as to what some consider proper decorum. Sad, but true.....

(Heck, I haven't even worn a sport jacket onboard in years.)

38 minutes ago, CLS/KAS said:

I told my DW if I can't find 5 other guys on Formal night wearing a Tux, this trip

I'm not bringing mine anymore.. well.. each year its less and less.. this past trip was 4 of us dressed..

I'm sure I missed a few.. but still,   on a Ship holding 3000 plus?...All the Picture spots are still there.

The one reason I still do, I think, is because I love to see my DW all dressed up.

is a shame....tks

Wear whatever makes you feel good.   Some like formal...some like casual.    It doesn't matter what others wear.

My family prefers casual.  But it doesn't hurt us that others like formal...it doesn't ruin our dinner...it doesn't ruin our night.   The same should be true for the opposite

Edited by bingomamma19

41 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

If you enjoy it, like the pictures, it's your cruise-----enjoy!

Have to admit to being a nonconformist formal night dresser. I own 4 tuxedos purchased on Ebay, non of which cost more than $35. Of course they are sold from rental shops and are normally what many will not rent! I have a "western tux", a silver with black velvet, a regular version and a white tux with blue "Yankee pinstripes". You may recognize me on a cruise because I'll be wearing one of two bow ties (also purchased on Ebay) black with either a red or white neon outline (you might also recognize me if you see a man in a white tux pulling an embarrassed wife along), If you like it go for it!

tuxedos.jpg

Love that white dinner jacket, you look like Bond himself my man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Love that white dinner jacket, you look like Bond himself my man!

Every time I wear white I tend to drop lobster butter on it . Two , three hundred dollar Jackets one hundred dollar shirts butter becomes a magnet with me. 

Edited by BoDidly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

What's a Tux ?😎

23 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Every time I wear white I tend to drop lobster butter on it . Two , three hundred dollar Jackets one hundred dollar shirts butter becomes a magnet with me. 

I knew there was a reason we have not cruised together......

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLS/KAS said:

is a shame....tks

Don't stop.  I've worn mine on every Carnival cruise, and yes, it fits in the checked luggage on the plane.  There are many passengers who wish they could convince their other half to get dressed up once in a while.  But please, be sure to tuck the shirt in. : )

• Like 2

Where did people go in the 70s and 80s to discuss their displeasure with people no longer dressing up to fly on a plane?  All joking aside, wear what you want.  Most people don't care, which is why you don't see everyone dressing up any more, and why Carnival does not enforce their own rules.   I'll dress up a little, but in the end, I am on vacation and want to be comfortable.  Besides, packing and dragging along a suit on the airplane is not something I want to do for vacation.

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Bo, when we cruise together, my tux will be there as well.

Hell No , I'm not paying to get the butter out of your Tux 😎 😁

I said Jacket which I no longer wear , these days it's a collard shirt. 

No more dry cleaning for me . Butter spots equals trash can !👍 

• Like 1

I enjoy dressing up, my husband, not so much.  We compromise.  I wear a nice cocktail dress and all the trimmings, he wears slacks, button down shirt and sometimes a tie.  I want him to be comfortable.  You should be comfortable, too.  If you enjoy wearing tux's, then that's what you should do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1