So do I hang up my Tux?

CLS/KAS

Like everyone else has already said, take what you want and wear what you want. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You don't have to ever see those people again. You're right though, hardly anyone wears a tux on a cruise. You don't even see many jackets anymore. Personally I don't even own a tux, jacket or even a tie. I have no use for that stuff ever in life so I have never purchased anything. 

9 hours ago, fyree39 said:

My intention is not to criticize.  I'm just noting that typically the wife dresses up way more than the husband.  Not in your case.  Maybe that's refreshing!

I agree---but as I originally stated I'm a nonconformist.

However, I've noted throughout the animal kingdom it's the male that "shows off" to attract the female. Primarily the birds, it's always the male robin, cardinal, etc. with the bright plumage. The lion has his mane and the male collie always has better fur (they used males for both the Lassie TV show and movie).

That being said, no matter what I wear my wife ALWAYS looks better than I do!!

m f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will be leaving on Sunday on the Conquest for a family cruise. My DH will be bringing his white dinner jacket for formal night. He enjoys wearing it (says it is more comfortable than a suit) and I enjoy seeing him in it. IMHO, nothing looks nicer than a man in a tux or uniform :)  He doesn't care what other people wear (neither do I). We dress for ourselves and the amazing picture we can get while all dressed up.

2 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

I agree---but as I originally stated I'm a nonconformist.

However, I've noted throughout the animal kingdom it's the male that "shows off" to attract the female. Primarily the birds, it's always the male robin, cardinal, etc. with the bright plumage. The lion has his mane and the male collie always has better fur (they used males for both the Lassie TV show and movie).

That being said, no matter what I wear my wife ALWAYS looks better than I do!!

m f.jpg

Some times it's better to be attracted to each other and not worry about all the other species in the world :classic_love:

Like yourselves :classic_biggrin:, what a lovely couple.

17 hours ago, CLS/KAS said:

Just got back off the Magic, Glory last year, and so on...

I told my DW if I can't find 5 other guys on Formal night wearing a Tux, this trip

I'm not bringing mine anymore.. well.. each year its less and less.. this past trip was 4 of us dressed..

I'm sure I missed a few.. but still,   on a Ship holding 3000 plus?...All the Picture spots are still there.

But Carnival has stopped renting Tux's.. so not seeming to really care anymore

"I'm on vacation.. I'm not getting dressed up" is told to me often..

The one reason I still do, I think, is because I love to see my DW all dressed up.

She enjoys it so.. and looks fwd to it...

but.....I ask an honest question...Guys...Ladies...

Should I bother with a Tux anymore...

or a suit, or as I have seen.. just a Polo shirt is the norm.. 

is a shame....tks

I say, if it makes you and your wife happy, do it!! Life's too short to worry about what others are wearing! 

• Like 1

As a woman,  it comes down to two factors for me. First, we have to pay to check luggage so we only bring one checked luggage that is already close to the 50 pound weight limit with our clothes, sunscreen, full face snorkel masks, etc etc. I still bring a lightweight dress and my husband brings his travel, wrinkle free work suit. 

The other factor is that I hate hate hate shopping for clothes! I have a hard time finding dresses that fit me in a flattering way (or in a way that I find flattering at least) and I don't want to spend a lot of time, energy, and money to find something to wear for one hour. 

So in the end, do what is right for you. If you like to dress in a tux, go for it. It's all about making yourself and your wife feel good and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks

Wear the tux!!!  Maybe you will start a trend and bring back dressing up!!  I hope somebody does.  It's a shame that people don't dress up anymore.  15 cruises under our belts and DH wore his suit on the last cruise.  It was his choice.  The photographer had him take off his jacket for this shot otherwise he kept it on for all the other shots.  

Every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man  ~  ZZ Top

Sam & Linda.jpg

• Like 1

Wear the tux!!!  Maybe you will start a trend and bring back dressing up!!  I hope somebody does.  It's a shame that people don't dress up anymore.  15 cruises under our belts and DH wore his suit on the last cruise.  It was his choice.  The photographer had him take off his jacket for this shot otherwise he kept it on for all the other shots.  

As many have said, wear what makes you and your spouse happy, with some added weight to your spouses opinion!  "Happy wife = Happy life!"

I was always excited to get dressed up for what were then "Formal" nights.  I always rented a Tuxedo for cruises as I really had no use for one at home.

Several years ago I joined an organization that requires me to wear either a Tuxedo or Tails several times a month, sometimes several times a week and the luster is gone!  I will still wear dress slacks, a button down shirt and tie on whatever evenings they put tablecloths on the tables, but that is just me.  I have no issue any way someone else wants to dress.

Like many have said, it really is up to you.  If you want to continue wearing it, do so.  Personally, I have not worn a tux since I was in college.  That was a long time ago.  I owned two traditional black ones back then and had to wear them several times during the year.  Haven't worn one since.  I own numerous suits, but rarely wear them anymore (just when officiating weddings or funerals.)  Most of the time on Elegant nights my wife and I choose to eat on the Lido and not dress up.  For that matter, we eat most nights on the Lido.

It's up to the OP to decide what he wants to wear.  He can make two lists, pros & cons, of bringing his tux and see which column has more entries.

As for me, I haven't brought a tux on a cruise (Celebrity) for about 5 years, so that's about 15 or 20 cruises ago.  Haven't worn a tux on Carnival for maybe 9 or 10 years.  I would bring my tux on Cunard or some other high end line if I ever sail on one.  Good news is that it still fits me.

2 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Perhaps----but two warnings----what a man considers "sharply dressed" may not be considered the same by his wife, I wore this suit (yes-matching pants) on a cruise close to Mar. 17 last year and had to pull my mortified wife around the ship! Also some formal outfits may stretch limits, about ten years ago we watched this couple go to all the photography areas with their proud display! They (she-for some reason I couldn't remember what he had on) wore this elegant outfit for both elegant nights------I'm not sure if the metal chains were MAGNETIZED, but they sure did cause an ATTRACTION of attention!

us 2019.jpg

elegant.jpg

2 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Perhaps----but two warnings----what a man considers "sharply dressed" may not be considered the same by his wife, I wore this suit (yes-matching pants) on a cruise close to Mar. 17 last year and had to pull my mortified wife around the ship! Also some formal outfits may stretch limits, about ten years ago we watched this couple go to all the photography areas with their proud display! They (she-for some reason I couldn't remember what he had on) wore this elegant outfit for both elegant nights------I'm not sure if the metal chains were MAGNETIZED, but they sure did cause an ATTRACTION of attention!

I'll probably get shelled for this but I'll say it anyway...

If they are going to have "formal night" as a designated theme, then "formal" ought to mean something.  Letting everyone decide what formal means on an individual level, while quite a popular practice today, kind of defeats the purpose of calling out a dress code at all.  The idea that formal means "I wear pants instead of shorts" is laughable!  Simply wearing long pants does NOT and never has constituted formal attire.  Formal has traditionally meant tuxedo or dark suit (w/jacket and tie) for men and some sort of evening dress (not slacks) for the ladies.

I want to be very clear that I am not slamming nor do I have an issue with anyone who does not want to wear formal attire on their vacation.  I respect that.  I just hate to see things constantly dumbed down to the point of irrelevancy.  If the vast majority of cruisers on your line don't want to dress up for a formal night then just get rid of it entirely.  Respect their wishes...  As for those few of us that do enjoy a more formal ambiance on occasion,  maybe make one of the alternative dining options formal and enforce it.

Just my 2 cents...okay let the shelling commence!

Don

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Don,

Carnival actually got rid of Formal night a long time ago.  It is called Elegant night because dressing formally is no longer required.  There is a broad range in the Elegant Dress Code provided by Carnival.

I stand corrected then... Thank you.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:59 PM, MJSailors said:

CLS/KAS- just a thought

Have you considered another cruiseline such as Celebrity ,Azamara or Regent where the atmosphere and demographic may make dressing in evening formal wear more the norm than exception ?

no enjoy Carnival....understand things change..but did get people talking about this,,,,, :) 

from the general response... sounds like I will be a lone man dressed going fwd.

no worries... 

Edited by CLS/KAS
spelling