*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

Just discovered your post Seamist. Just wonderful.

We leave in 'your footsteps' in 2 weeks on the Maasdam from Auckland bound for the Islands you visited plus Tonga & Cook Islands en route to San Francisco.

Regards & safe trip back to San Diego

Bellair

1 hour ago, Bellair said:

Just discovered your post Seamist. Just wonderful.

We leave in 'your footsteps' in 2 weeks on the Maasdam from Auckland bound for the Islands you visited plus Tonga & Cook Islands en route to San Francisco.

Regards & safe trip back to San Diego

Bellair

Thank you.  May you have calm seas and great weather!

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Can't believe that you have completed your last port and are the way back to San Diego.

Good to take the captain's advice and stay out of the water.

Wonderful pictures.

HURRY back!  We are waiting to board in SD, so cannot wait for your return!  We were able to get a GREAT upsell offer and ended up in a well located Neptune, so are looking forward to a nice, laid back cruise to warmer weather.

• Like 1

@seamist

thank you for such such a great thread. Though I am only doing the 17 day RT Hawaii later this year, I have learned so much from your posts.

I am interested to see what type of activities will be available on your return trip sea days.  I have seen posts from folk with a large number of back to back sea days complaining about the lack of activities on the return trip. 

Enjoy the rest rest of your cruise! Thank you again for your amazing pics and wealth of info shared.

Ann

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@seamist

thank you for such such a great thread. Though I am only doing the 17 day RT Hawaii later this year, I have learned so much from your posts.

I am interested to see what type of activities will be available on your return trip sea days.  I have seen posts from folk with a large number of back to back sea days complaining about the lack of activities on the return trip. 

Enjoy the rest rest of your cruise! Thank you again for your amazing pics and wealth of info shared.

Ann

Thats exactly what happened on our Dec 2017 17 day cruise to Hawaii.  Lots to see and do on the way there, but VERY little on the way back.  If I could, I would cruise to Hawaii and fly back.

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Thats exactly what happened on our Dec 2017 17 day cruise to Hawaii.  Lots to see and do on the way there, but VERY little on the way back.  If I could, I would cruise to Hawaii and fly back.

Today’s activities:

I have to agree, activities don’t seem on the same level they used to be.  Seems to be more of a money grab nowadays, all designed to sell you something.  DH looks at HAL now as transportation.  We could not have afforded to fly directly to Bora Bora, etc.  This trip was the most economical way to see French Polynesia.  As for me, I spend my time at the Fitness center or finding a quiet spot to just sit and read and I’m happy.  This trip I’ve been “living” in the Thermal Suite 😁, nice and quiet in there!

For those planning to embark as we disembark in a few days, try and get table 129 (or around in there) deck 2 open seating where DinDin is the waiter......he is FABULOUS.

677913E7-8D54-49B5-A80D-C15D729D04F0.jpeg

38095CF6-24DC-440D-BC54-4578BB563EE9.jpeg

C8F8EE26-7DBF-435F-ACC1-FDBFA0B19A2C.jpeg

I have not yet done any pics of the Lido Market, so will try and post a few of those.  I’m afraid I will not have any of the specialty restaurants, we are not doing any of those this trip.  Pics below are of breakfast this morning.  They do have the omelet station, eggs benedict station, waffles,  crepes, hot cereals, cold cereals, pastries, and everything in between.  I’ve been on this ship almost a month, and I’ve rarely had the same thing twice!  Lots of options.

We also have not been in the dining room for breakfast and lunch any which explains lack of menu and pics there.  I love the dining room, DH loves the Lido, so we compromised.  He lets me have the dining room for dinner and he gets the Lido breakfast and Lunch.  Lol, it works for us.

9C5DBA5B-58BD-4415-8FAB-E4630A0801CA.jpeg

BEE26BA6-AC47-4C71-88EE-9245F935E047.jpeg

63E5884B-1411-4E66-9D16-A9668E20B034.jpeg

4F49580F-E013-4B0C-8A91-7F4AF7B33776.jpeg

2E2E8944-E2A9-42FA-A925-7B209C088A9B.jpeg

942C8B9B-867D-46D6-8DE5-787C8A6BB582.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Thank you, @DaveOKC I am old enough to find things to occupy my time, but I do like the cruise line to help.  

Maybe I will be exhausted from my activities, and just want to occupy a lounger and/or eat on the return trip.😎 I can always work on my pictures and review.

Edited by cat shepard

19 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@seamist

Ann

We found that there were plenty of activities on the way to Hawaii and Tahiti but a lot of them were offered by the Hawaiian/Polynesian Cultural Ambassadors:  Lei making, Woven Bracelet Making, Hula lessons, Ukulele lessons and Hawaiian music shows in the Crows Nest most evenings. Now that the Cultural Ambassadors have left the ship, there are not a lot of activities. There are lectures but I will not comment here about them except to say that we are not attending them now.  

I think it’s going to be a looong week at sea. 

• Haha 1

Today the DH and I achieved our bronze medals (100+ actual sea days).  I realize for some of you this is peanuts, but as the DH said, a lot of money went into that bronze!😁.  Following are some of the pics of how many medals were passed out on this cruise.  This ship is so full of Mariners that they had to spread the Mariner Lunch out over 3 days to get everybody in.  Most of the medals were bronze, about 7 or so couples received a silver (300+ actual sea days), and one couple received a gold (500+ actual sea days).

Then there was the Presidents Club...a few couples received commendation for 1500+ actual sea days and I was ASTONISHED to see one couple actually had almost 3,000 😳.  I think the only way I will see that one is if I die and become a crew member on the Flying Dutchman, lol.

We will be quite close to the 4* status once our next booked cruise of 27 days is completed, so fingers crossed that one in 2020 will be enough to bump us into the next level.

AE55E13D-DDFC-413A-99F6-64C3DD3D8CA3.jpeg

5AB4002A-53BF-4D55-978F-2C64EBBCE31E.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seamist said:

Today the DH and I achieved our bronze medals (100+ actual sea days).  I realize for some of you this is peanuts, but as the DH said, a lot of money went into that bronze!😁.  Following are some of the pics of how many medals were passed out on this cruise.  This ship is so full of Mariners that they had to spread the Mariner Lunch out over 3 days to get everybody in.  Most of the medals were bronze, about 7 or so couples received a silver (300+ actual sea days), and one couple received a gold (500+ actual sea days).

Then there was the Presidents Club...a few couples received commendation for 1500+ actual sea days and I was ASTONISHED to see one couple actually had almost 3,000 😳.  I think the only way I will see that one is if I die and become a crew member on the Flying Dutchman, lol.

We will be quite close to the 4* status once our next booked cruise of 27 days is completed, so fingers crossed that one in 2020 will be enough to bump us into the next level.

AE55E13D-DDFC-413A-99F6-64C3DD3D8CA3.jpeg

5AB4002A-53BF-4D55-978F-2C64EBBCE31E.jpeg

Congratulations, Seamist... Wishing you the best for making 4* Mariner status on your first cruise next year!  🙂  We achieved 4* status with our 2016 Tahiti cruise.  Because of some medical issues and Betty having 3 cervical spine surgeries, we hope to board our 1st cruise as 4* Mariners in August on a 14 day Alaska cruise aboard the Amsterdam.  We hope to do a repeat of the Tahiti cruise one day & cross our fingers for the kind of weather you folks have, for the most part, enjoyed compared to what we experienced in 2016.