*Live* from the Eurodam - Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas

seamist

18 minutes ago, RCByrd said:

Amazing pictures!! We were on the same cruise on the old Statendam in spring of

2015  and have looked every year since for a live report  so are really enjoying yours!

Thanks for all your efforts -brings back many good memories! We were wondering

if any children on your sailing (there were none on ours). So glad  your're having a great

time and thanks for sharing!

I’ve seen 3.  Was quite surprised given we’ve been gone a month.

Last day?  OMG - how did that happen so fast? 

Enjoy your last day on board and thank you so much for taking the time to share all our fabulous pics and great reports with us. 😄 

Safe travels tomorrow to you and all on board.

@seamist 

first thank you for the pics and info. Your Where & Whens have been insightful. I can not even imagine what the topic of the 9:00 a.m. talk with Bruce P. would be, but he certainly has a great way of getting peoples’ attention and making them curious.

I am sorry to see your cruise end. Perhaps not quite as sorry you & DH are.

Safe travels.

Edited by cat shepard
Fat fingers

24 minutes ago, riverrat said:

After living onboard for several weeks any suggestions or wish you had known about the Eurodam? (other than the cabin)

Are you ready to get off or stay on board and go with us to Mexico this week?

Well, lol, learning about the smaller cabin sizes on Eurodam, Neuw Amsterdam, and Pinnacle Class would have been nice to know ahead of time!  But now we do.  But that’s probably the biggest one, the Eurodam is really a nice ship all in all.  

Another disappointment I wish I had known ahead of time is the end of the HAL cast of singers and dancers.  I really did miss those production shows 😞.   Not much I can do about that one but hope HAL brings those back.  As well, the gift shops just don’t seem to be as nice as they used to be.  Other than the Lido 2 for $10 sales, everything in there now is on the pricey side and they don’t offer any longer items distinctive to the ports you are visiting, I.e., Rum Cakes in the Caribbean for example.  We had absolutely nothing offered that would indicate we were ever in the South Pacific....not even a t-shirt.  We would have bought a t-shirt that said HAL on it with the islands we had visited if they had offered one.

Internet also continues to be a HUGE disappointment compared to other cruise lines, but that’s not limited to the Eurodam unfortunately.  We bought the premium package on this trip (which is supposed to allow you to stream and video) and it was so slow we were never able to do either - the entire trip.  I was able (obviously) to upload pics but it was a very slow process most of the time unless I logged on at 2:00 AM or something.  So bear that in mind if you purchase the premium net package - you still might not be able to stream anything.

And no we are ready to go home after a month - lol.  Our next cruise was booked on this trip:  The Neuw Statendam in October 2020 (need to get my signature changed!). We are going to do the 27 day Mediterranean + transatlantic back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Have a great trip to Mexico!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seamist said:

Well, lol, learning about the smaller cabin sizes on Eurodam, Neuw Amsterdam, and Pinnacle Class would have been nice to know ahead of time!  But now we do.  But that’s probably the biggest one, the Eurodam is really a nice ship all in all.  

Another disappointment I wish I had known ahead of time is the end of the HAL cast of singers and dancers.  I really did miss those production shows 😞.   Not much I can do about that one but hope HAL brings those back.  As well, the gift shops just don’t seem to be as nice as they used to be.  Other than the Lido 2 for $10 sales, everything in there now is on the pricey side and they don’t offer any longer items distinctive to the ports you are visiting, I.e., Rum Cakes in the Caribbean for example.  We had absolutely nothing offered that would indicate we were ever in the South Pacific....not even a t-shirt.  We would have bought a t-shirt that said HAL on it with the islands we had visited if they had offered one.

Internet also continues to be a HUGE disappointment compared to other cruise lines, but that’s not limited to the Eurodam unfortunately.  We bought the premium package on this trip (which is supposed to allow you to stream and video) and it was so slow we were never able to do either - the entire trip.  I was able (obviously) to upload pics but it was a very slow process most of the time unless I logged on at 2:00 AM or something.  So bear that in mind if you purchase the premium net package - you still might not be able to stream anything.

And no we are ready to go home after a month - lol.  Our next cruise was booked on this trip:  The Neuw Statendam in October 2020 (need to get my signature changed!). We are going to do the 27 day Mediterranean + transatlantic back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Have a great trip to Mexico!

Thank you for  writing this blog. We just got off a 14 day cruise on the ROTTERDAM and while on her we booked the Oosterdam for  March 2020 . Since the Oosterdam is doing pretty much an identical itinerary as yours, I was pleasantly surprised to see your posts! I have read through the entire thread and any reservations we had about this cruise have been totally dispelled. Your lovely photos, insightful commentary and terrific information have us incredibly excited about going on this trip. Again, thank you for taking the time and effort to write this.

3 hours ago, seamist said:

We had absolutely nothing offered that would indicate we were ever in the South Pacific....not even a t-shirt.  We would have bought a t-shirt that said HAL on it with the islands we had visited if they had offered one.

I agree!  On our Voyage of the Vikings cruise last summer (another pricey cruise) there was absolutely nothing in the shops indicating where we were 😞  

Another thank you for bringing us along!  I have a friend on board who had a bad experience in the Pinnacle Grill -- sorry I don't remember if you've said if you had a good or bad time in the PG?  Other than that I know she's enjoyed the cruise. 🙂  

• Like 1

It will be sad to have to go for a WHOLE WEEK without ANY Eurodam updates, but we'll be boarding a week from now so I guess I'll manage.

In the meantime, it's cloudy and a little wet in San Diego today - not the best weather for disembarkation - so I will do my very best to clear all of this out of here for you so tomorrow will be a patented San Diego Spring Day! (it's the least I can do after all you've done over the past month! - LOL) Safe travels home, and thanks again for taking everyone along. And ENJOY the last day of your cruise!

Edited by bigez

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I agree!  On our Voyage of the Vikings cruise last summer (another pricey cruise) there was absolutely nothing in the shops indicating where we were 😞  

Another thank you for bringing us along!  I have a friend on board who had a bad experience in the Pinnacle Grill -- sorry I don't remember if you've said if you had a good or bad time in the PG?  Other than that I know she's enjoyed the cruise. 🙂  

We didn’t do PG at all this cruise, have done it 3 times in previous cruises with all 3 not being worth the money.  DH says 3 strikes you’re out sort of thing.  We will only do it if it’s given to us as a freebie.  Sounds like it was a good decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigez said:

It will be sad to have to go for a WHOLE WEEK without ANY Eurodam updates, but we'll be boarding a week from now so I guess I'll manage.

In the meantime, it's cloudy and a little wet in San Diego today - not the best weather for disembarkation - so I will do my very best to clear all of this out of here for you so tomorrow will be a patented San Diego Spring Day! (it's the least I can do after all you've done over the past month! - LOL) Safe travels home, and thanks again for taking everyone along. And ENJOY the last day of your cruise!

😂lol.

ugg for rainy and wet lugging 28 days worth of luggage😳😳

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Hope you didn't book another inside cabin on the Nieuw Statendam -- they are suppose to be smaller than those on the Eurodam.

Yeah we did but made sure we picked it this time with the advice of the cruise consultant here on board.....no gty.   Also have to make sure that inside runs side to side on these newer ships, NOT bow to stern, when you are selecting the cabin on the deck plan.  We like the insides (stays dark for naps) and allows us to buy thermal suite and more excursions.  But those bow to stern, O my word, those should be booked single occupancy, not double!

I have got to figure out how to get a smaller version of that spa home, too!

5 minutes ago, seamist said:

We didn’t do PG at all this cruise, have done it 3 times in previous cruises with all 3 not being worth the money.  DH says 3 strikes you’re out sort of thing.  We will only do it if it’s given to us as a freebie.  Sounds like it was a good decision.

Ah, that explains why I didn't recall any posts or photos of the PG 🙂  Yes, she said the service was especially bad (everything from no smiles and slow service to trying to pour from her bottle of wine for people at a nearby table).  Luckily they stopped the steward, reminding him they were ordering wine by the glass 😉   

• Like 1

We got off the Eurodam on the 9th.   We had the PG booked twice as well as Sel de Mer Pop Up.  Our PG experience was not good.  Our Server, Jim, was horrible and the food was barely warm.  We do 8 pm and they were not busy.  We cancelled our 2nd PG Dinner(our 5 Star perk) after we did SDM Pop Up.  We asked not to have Jim and they obliged and our Service was good.  However, again barely warm food.  This was our friends first SDM experience and they were not impressed.  We’ve done SDM Pop Ups on other Ships as well as in SDM on Kdam and NS and have always thought it excellent.  Something was definitely off on this Ship in the PG!  

So Seamist you didn’t miss a thing and Crusing Along it sounds like your friends had the same experience as we did!

Totally agree with the Gift Shop and also miss the Tee Shirts specific to Ports!

Okay everyone, thanks for all the lovely comments, as of midnight tonight no more ship net so will have to catch up at the airport or at home.  It is now up to somebody else sailing on the Eurodam to give us a *live* report 🙂

Perhaps in October of 2020 (when our next cruise is scheduled on the Nieu Statendam Mediterranean/Transatlantic) I will do another *live* posting covering that itinerary.

In summary this trip had fantastic weather and a great itinerary.  The ports were fabulous and I would encourage anyone considering the Hawai/Tahiti/Marquesas run to give it a go, and keep fingers crossed the weather will be as wonderful for you as it was for us.

Happy sailing!!

• Like 2