main dining

25 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Where?  in the itaiian  restaurants??  Maybe the Chicken Marsala was served in WJ, but twice I have been to Jamies and found no chicken ,except served  plain, with bone intact.   very disappointing.   They do not serve typical itaiian food. Their food choices were terrible.  I did not  have to spend extra for spaghetti and meat sauce   Will never go back there. 

I believe they were talking about those dishes being in the Windjammer.

27 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Where?  in the itaiian  restaurants??  Maybe the Chicken Marsala was served in WJ, but twice I have been to Jamies and found no chicken ,except served  plain, with bone intact.   very disappointing.   They do not serve typical itaiian food. Their food choices were terrible.  I did not  have to spend extra for spaghetti and meat sauce   Will never go back there. 

No, in Windjammer on Italian night. 

I did enjoy the mdr, being served, and it did take more than a sit down dinner as far as time, that was when they came and served you rolls, then the appetizer, and then the main course, but now the rolls are already on the table, and the menu doesn't change, i again would much rather not have to dress up because everyone complains that people wear short in the mdr and i can chose what and how much i want to eat.  i'm relaxing and my cruises are my vacation and i don't want to have to hurry, rush, dress up on my vacation unless i want to .  this is great for those who want to, but for me, windjammer will be my dinner time, especially since they do have prime rib, duck, veal, "italian night" turkey, in the windjammer!

• Like 1

Thanks to the search function I was able to find out about the menus being on the Royal app and perused them quickly. Looks similar to what we experienced with other lines- a few mainstays are there night after night with a few additions each night (same thing with apps and deserts). I'm sure we'll be fine (and we won't lose weight:classic_biggrin:).

50 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Unlike Giovanni's, Jamie's is somewhat Italian Cuisine, other than the meat platter, shrimp/crab with linguine and a different Lasagna that I'm not accustomed to.  We usually love the Lamb Chops,  Prawns or Crab Linguini Marinara (fra diavolo) to go along with  the meat platter and some other appetizer.

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm thinking this is the goal of the cruise line(s) - to make more people want to go to the extra-charge dining options.

I don't think that is the goal as the specialty restaurants hold only a small percentage of people cruising.  I think the main goal is to have more people eat in the WJ as in a few  years that is going to be where cruisers have meals unless they pay to have more expensive cabins or extra to eat in the MDR.

MSC, from what I have read, and I could be wrong, as I personally haven't sailed on that line, has some cabins eat only in the buffet.  They don't get to have meals in the MDR.

I do think cruising is just beginning to become more a la carte and providing better tasting food in the WJ is the start of it.  JMO.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

I don't think that is the goal as the specialty restaurants hold only a small percentage of people cruising.  I think the main goal is to have more people eat in the WJ as in a few  years that is going to be where cruisers have meals unless they pay to have more expensive cabins or extra to eat in the MDR.

MSC, from what I have read, and I could be wrong, as I personally haven't sailed on that line, has some cabins eat only in the buffet.  They don't get to have meals in the MDR.

I do think cruising is just beginning to become more a la carte and providing better tasting food in the WJ is the start of it.  JMO.

I agree with what you say as well.  Fewer people eating in the MDR means fewer employees needed, saving the cruise line money.

1 hour ago, katiel53 said:

You can eat in the MDR no matter the cabin... however only certain experiences are allowed to have "My time dining," so you are forced into regular fixed times. (Early/Late) 

12 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

You can eat in the MDR no matter the cabin... however only certain experiences are allowed to have "My time dining," so you are forced into regular fixed times. (Early/Late) 

Thank you for correcting my post.   I guess that's what I get for posting something I've not experienced, but just have read.

50 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Thank you for correcting my post.   I guess that's what I get for posting something I've not experienced, but just have read.

Nah... we all hear things, and let me be quite honest, I have not sailed with them either. My Aunt, who also bought the house next door, (Another subject, for another time with a therapist) has sailed on Divina & Seaside. I have made their reservations for them, and taken care various things including reading the terms, etc. This is how I knew that info about dining, and basically that is limited to the two ships, and who knows how they do it elsewhere in the world. 

I was on Liberty back in November of 2017 and will be back again at the end of this year, so definitely curious to see what has changed in the MDR. I remember the menu always had a few staples which were the same from night to night, but then also had new additions each night according to the theme (French, Italian, etc.) I dunno... Maybe I'm just one of the few rare specimens that actually enjoys getting dressed up and gracious for being waited upon (I can wear my yoga pants to dinner at home!) I like the WJ for a casual sit down lunch or a snack, but the experience of the MDR is one of the main reasons why I cruise. It's a chance to break out of the norm. A special occasion to be treated as such. I understand it's not for everyone, and that's fine. More lobster tails for me! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TinaJoy said:

I was on Liberty back in November of 2017 and will be back again at the end of this year, so definitely curious to see what has changed in the MDR. I remember the menu always had a few staples which were the same from night to night, but then also had new additions each night according to the theme (French, Italian, etc.) I dunno... Maybe I'm just one of the few rare specimens that actually enjoys getting dressed up and gracious for being waited upon (I can wear my yoga pants to dinner at home!) I like the WJ for a casual sit down lunch or a snack, but the experience of the MDR is one of the main reasons why I cruise. It's a chance to break out of the norm. A special occasion to be treated as such. I understand it's not for everyone, and that's fine. More lobster tails for me! :classic_biggrin:

We used to enjoy the MDR too, but it's just too hectic and noisy for us anymore.   Not so special.

Just returned from the March 3rd sailing on the Oasis, we ate at the MDR twice and as many have reported the menu options are limited and I feel the quality of the food is good but not great.  The service we received was excellent.  The MDR experience for us has lost its appeal.  We had the 5 night dining package and have come to really enjoy the quieter atmosphere and ( in my opinion ) the higher quality food.  My wife and I no longer cruise with our kids as they are both adults and are busy with school and work so we really enjoy the smaller specialty venues.  This works for us and we realize dining is subjective. We usually have OBC to use for the cost of the package.