New to cruising

Huskydo

Hello All

We are new to cruising and I’m about to book a cruise to Alaska for May next year. We are looking at a veranda deluxe cabin, possibly 1A category on the Celebrity Eclipse.

These cabins appear to be nearer the elevators, and I’m wondering if these may be a bit more noisy! Any advice please?

Im also eager not to book a cabin with a poor view,im a photography enthusiast so this is important for me:) 

We are doing the Inside Passage trip. 

To be honest I don’t know where to start! 😳

Many thanks.

7 minutes ago, Huskydo said:

Hello All

We are new to cruising and I’m about to book a cruise to Alaska for May next year. We are looking at a veranda deluxe cabin, possibly 1A category on the Celebrity Eclipse.

These cabins appear to be nearer the elevators, and I’m wondering if these may be a bit more noisy! Any advice please?

Im also eager not to book a cabin with a poor view,im a photography enthusiast so this is important for me:) 

We are doing the Inside Passage trip. 

To be honest I don’t know where to start! 😳

Many thanks.

Hi Huskydo,

From what i know of the Eclipse I would suggest a cabin on the 9th deck midships and you should have a good position for photography. What to do is check out the cabins available for your cruise and then check them against the S Class cabin information on the first page of the celebrity forum.

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShonaTay56 said:

Hi Huskydo,

From what i know of the Eclipse I would suggest a cabin on the 9th deck midships and you should have a good position for photography. What to do is check out the cabins available for your cruise and then check them against the S Class cabin information on the first page of the celebrity forum.

Alan

Thank you, I will endeavour to find the S class cabin info thread. I’m all over the place! 

Much appreciated

We've done 2 Alaska cruises.  On both cruises we had aft balcony cabins.  You said you want to get photo's.  An aft cabin provides views of both sides of the ship.  Very important on an Alaska cruise.  Another benefit is, it will be protected for the wind.  These cabins are a bit more expensive but well worth it IMHO.  On other cruises we do like to be near the aft elevators.  Never had a problem with noise.  Try to book a cabin on a deck below a deck with cabins.  You may not want to be under a public area.

Rollie

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rollie said:

We've done 2 Alaska cruises.  On both cruises we had aft balcony cabins.  You said you want to get photo's.  An aft cabin provides views of both sides of the ship.  Very important on an Alaska cruise.  Another benefit is, it will be protected for the wind.  These cabins are a bit more expensive but well worth it IMHO.  On other cruises we do like to be near the aft elevators.  Never had a problem with noise.  Try to book a cabin on a deck below a deck with cabins.  You may not want to be under a public area.

Rollie

Are the aft cabins the Sunset cabins on the Eclipse? The ones at the back of the ship?

Any of the aft cabins are good.  Sunset, concierge, and sky suites.  Price goes up accordingly.  Concierge would be C1, sky suite would be S1.

Rollie

Edited by rollie
  • Like 1

Aft cabins are SV on the lower decks and C1 on the higher decks.  As rollie says the price goes up.  If you can swing it the S1 corner aft sky suites are wonderful.

You asked about 1A center ship by the elevators.  They are not noisy at all.  There is hallway with a wall between the rooms and the elevator.   The 1A rooms on the forward slant of the hump are my favorite.  The first and third ones from hump have the largest balcony's.

• Like 1

If you are looking at a 1A on the 'hump', I like this location a lot. With the way the elevator lobby is set up, almost all of the traffic bypasses those cabins on their walk forward or aft. The only real reason you would walk in that section of hallway is if you have one of those particular cabins. 

• Like 2

The midship cabins near the elevators on the S-class ships (which includes Eclipse) are quiet. The hallway where the elevator is located is separated from the cabin access hallway by a wall and a sliding glass door. Whenever I book a cruise I use a website called cruisedeckplans.com. It's a travel agent (TA) website that has a free section for anyone, and has deck plans of all ships on all major cruise lines. It indicates lots of helpful info like cabins with larger balconies, noise, etc. You'll see red or green stars around the deck and when you hover over the stars you'll see a pop up with info relating to specific cabins. There's also a tool that allows you to drag one deck on top of another to see what is directly above and below a cabin you're thinking of booking as well as lots of pictures.

• Like 2

There are really very few balcony/veranda cabins that don't have a clear view for photography on the S-class ships...and that includes "obstructed view" cabins because the obstruction is looking down where you see lifeboats.  There are a few cabins where window washing equipment is stationed outside...they are listed somewhere, or you can find them by looking up a proposed cabin in the S-Class cabins thread on CC.  1A's on the slant are great (our favorites) because of the larger balconies but because of the slant, you see either to the rear or front...probably not the best if you are focused on photography.  Cabins on the rear have a wonderful view of behind the ship.  That's terrific if you want to take pictures of scenery behind the ship.  They obviously aren't so good at seeing to the side or the front.  They are, however, excellent cabins, but probably not if your prime interest is photography.  If you aren't in a cabin on the slant, then find a cabin halfway between the slants to get the widest front/back view (not blocked by the slanted cabins..if that makes sense.

As far as noise...make sure there is nothing potentially noisy above you...in other words, don't get a cabin under the pool deck where people scrape chairs...or under the gym, etc.  Find a cabin with another cabin above and below...it's your best bet.  Having said that, the other major cause of noise is your neighbors on-board, but you can't predict who will be next to you playing music loudly on their balcony, etc.  Luck of the draw here (on all cruise lines).

Welcome to cruising 🙂

Edited by ghstudio

1 hour ago, ghstudio said:

There are really very few balcony/veranda cabins that don't have a clear view for photography on the S-class ships...and that includes "obstructed view" cabins because the obstruction is looking down where you see lifeboats.  There are a few cabins where window washing equipment is stationed outside...they are listed somewhere, or you can find them by looking up a proposed cabin in the S-Class cabins thread on CC.  1A's on the slant are great (our favorites) because of the larger balconies but because of the slant, you see either to the rear or front...probably not the best if you are focused on photography.  Cabins on the rear have a wonderful view of behind the ship.  That's terrific if you want to take pictures of scenery behind the ship.  They obviously aren't so good at seeing to the side or the front.  They are, however, excellent cabins, but probably not if your prime interest is photography.  If you aren't in a cabin on the slant, then find a cabin halfway between the slants to get the widest front/back view (not blocked by the slanted cabins..if that makes sense.

As far as noise...make sure there is nothing potentially noisy above you...in other words, don't get a cabin under the pool deck where people scrape chairs...or under the gym, etc.  Find a cabin with another cabin above and below...it's your best bet.  Having said that, the other major cause of noise is your neighbors on-board, but you can't predict who will be next to you playing music loudly on their balcony, etc.  Luck of the draw here (on all cruise lines).

Welcome to cruising 🙂

I beg to differ with this opinion.  Aft cabins afford pictures from both sides of the ship.  When on a side balcony you can only take pictures on that side.  Unless you've done this you have no idea.

Rollie

We actually booked two cabins for a group of 6 near the front elevator with the largest balconies on both side of the ship to cover the views. They are also protected from wind as they slant facing backward. Some of the aft cabins have larger balconies but most not. They are also not fully covered due to the recession of upper decks. They are still good options for later upgrades.

• Like 1

A 1A cabin (not A1) is an excellent choice! You should get a much larger balcony than other cabins. The difference is in length not width but it can be susbstantial. Yes, you will only see one side of the ship, but there are times when going to the top deck or front is a good option for photos. By the way A1 is aqua class and under an overhang. Great restaurant, not a good view of the sky.

• Like 1

1A cabins are great right by the elevator and they have the big balcony.   We have been in those cabins a lot of times and never once heard any noise from people walking by.   The big balconies are also great because you can pull your chair back in the shade if you want depending where the suns is.  We have also had friends over for sailaway with tons of room to spare.  Be mindful the balcony size is a little different on those cabins but either way much bigger than normal ones

• Like 1

You are all very kind and thank you for your helpful comments. I’m just anxious that I don’t book the wrong one 🙄:classic_unsure:

Do the 1A cabins which are not on the slant but opposite the elevators also have larger balconies? 

9192 and 9155 have the largest balconies in the front hump near the front elevators. 9237, 9292, 9215 and 9270 have the largest balconies in the back hump near the back elevators. You can look at those on the Deck 8 too.

Edited by Tourist1292
  • Like 1

also--are you sailing south or north. Whether you are port or starboard may matter to you re pictures

We sailed the passage several years ago. Beautiful and memorable. Great photography opportunities from the glaciers, the small villages /totems, the whales etc. 

Enjoy. Welcome to cruising and Celebrity

• Like 1

Some people may not realized that sometime in the last year they have reclassified all the cabins along the flat part of the hump 1A as well.  Originally all the 1A had larger balcony's because they were all on the slant.  The 4 I have pointed out have the larger (3x) deep balconys.  The other 2 are still nice about 2x.  I know the forward ones are larger as well but not exactly sure which one is deeper.  Personally I've taken any of the 4 on either side on the slant.  If you notice the ones on the rear of the slant are the same except they have been classified as C2.

image.png.feff8c0d71a0974e7919f801a967c8dc.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Some people may not realized that sometime in the last year they have reclassified all the cabins along the flat part of the hump 1A as well.  Originally all the 1A had larger balcony's because they were all on the slant.  The 4 I have pointed out have the larger (3x) deep balconys.  The other 2 are still nice about 2x.  I know the forward ones are larger as well but not exactly sure which one is deeper.  Personally I've taken any of the 4 on either side on the slant.  If you notice the ones on the rear of the slant are the same except they have been classified as C2.

image.png.feff8c0d71a0974e7919f801a967c8dc.png

I just checked the Eclipse booking for this May. The map is not updated on my TA's website but the room class has been changed. Not sure that happens to other TA too. One needs to be careful when looking at those cabins.

Edited by Tourist1292
  • Like 1

Thank you to all who have provided such welcome advice.

i have booked today and chosen cabin 9215. It doesn’t appear to have a sofa but I’m guessing the cabin is still as big as those with a sofa? Hope that’s right :)

It will have a sofa, but not one that opens into a sofa bed. (the square icon). It is the same size as others in its category, but the balcony is much larger being the first off the hump. It will be about 3X the size of a regular balcony. You've made a great choice. Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1