Venice Introducing a Tourist Tax

Eglesbrech

Venice has announced that it is introducing a new tourist tax for all day trippers coming in by any form of transport, those staying in a hotel will not pay.

It has just been on the radio news this morning that the Italian government has now ratified this tax. They had quite a lengthy interview about the reasons the Mayor of Venice wants this in, to summarise day trippers who are only in the city for a few hours cost more in inconvenience than any benefits they bring.

The cost will be between 3 to 10 euros, with the top rate being charged at the busiest times of the year.

I wonder just how this will impact on cruise ship itinerary’s.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Add detail

This was first talked about in December last year and since then it all went quiet. Obviously there has been no impact on cruises so far so perhaps it is a price worth paying to take ships there.

BBC radio Scotland had the article this morning but there does not appear to be anything in the mainstream news about this. They may be following the story as Edinburgh is introducing a tourist tax but only for hotel nights, not day trippers.

The issue might be double charging as ships will be charged per capita but then tourists may also be charged when they hit the city limits depending on how they travel in. The charge will be added to vaparetos, trains and bus fares to capture all day trippers from what the lady on the radio this morning was saying.

Maybe this is what Amsterdam should have done - though obviously it would be much more difficult. 

If they could find a way to do what Venice are doing (ie charging all day trippers, however they access the city) P&O would gain nothing by trying to avoid the charge using Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam, and everybody (P&O apart) would be a lot happier.

Whilst the City has agreed to take this forward, they haven't decided exactly how it will be operated.  From what I have read in several articles they seem to be planning on levying it on transport arrivals to Venice, such as trains, buses and cruise ships. It will also replace the current hotel tax.

I can't see the cruise lines pulling out of Venice as it is a huge draw for pax and also, other tourists arriving in the City by various methods will also be paying it.

1 hour ago, docco said:

Maybe this is what Amsterdam should have done - though obviously it would be much more difficult. 

If they could find a way to do what Venice are doing (ie charging all day trippers, however they access the city) P&O would gain nothing by trying to avoid the charge using Ijmuiden instead of Amsterdam, and everybody (P&O apart) would be a lot happier.

They mentioned on the radio that the unique geographical placement of Venice makes this relatively easy for them to implement. I can’t see it being as easy for any other city as buses and trains will pass through the city going elsewhere, anyone going on transport to Venice is only going to Venice.

Just had a survey in from P&O with the usual stuff but also questions about ports.

One of the questions was about visiting Venice however the berth was Trieste which they state is “Venice” but is 1 hour 50 minutes away!

Weird coincidence given what I heard on the radio. Did anyone else get the survey today?

I'd pay more than that to go to Venice. We have to pay over £20 each to go to Alton Towers so this really is not a big deal.

When we stayed in Rome we had to pay a tourist tax and it was minimal. When you've paid thousands for a cruise 10 euros high season is not  massive issue to us...…

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just had a survey in from P&O with the usual stuff but also questions about ports.

One of the questions was about visiting Venice however the berth was Trieste which they state is “Venice” but is 1 hour 50 minutes away!

Weird coincidence given what I heard on the radio. Did anyone else get the survey today?

P&O gets more and more like Ryanair every year. That’s a typical Ryanair stunt, giving a misleading name to make people think they’re going somewhere they’re not.

They’ve tried it with Ijmuiden and Amsterdam, now it looks as if they’re planning the same cheap stunt with Venice. I wonder what ruse they’ll dream up to try to avoid the tourist tax.

14 minutes ago, docco said:

P&O gets more and more like Ryanair every year. That’s a typical Ryanair stunt, giving a misleading name to make people think they’re going somewhere they’re not.

They’ve tried it with Ijmuiden and Amsterdam, now it looks as if they’re planning the same cheap stunt with Venice. I wonder what ruse they’ll dream up to try to avoid the tourist tax.

To be fair to them they have done nothing so far, they are seeking customer views.

I will be the first to comment if they do make a change but at present they have not.

17 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry, just seen this one. Are they having a laugh ? Bet they are thinking ahead and wondering what to do if they end up with a fleet of huge ships that can't sail into Venice. Being a small ship saved Oceana (my thinking anyway) as she replaced Ventura for the fly Med. cruises. I really hope that they don't go down this route as I certainly don't want a 2 hour drive to get to Venice and no sail in / out.

Edited by Presto2

Can't say I blame the local government. They're not going to stop the cruise ships (as the 'ban' is on again off again) - however it might deter some lines from sailing there.

As for P&O docking in Trieste - that's not going to avoid the tourists levy - you'll still have to get passengers into the city (and pay the fee).

1 minute ago, Monorail Orange said:

Can't say I blame the local government. They're not going to stop the cruise ships (as the 'ban' is on again off again) - however it might deter some lines from sailing there.

As for P&O docking in Trieste - that's not going to avoid the tourists levy - you'll still have to get passengers into the city (and pay the fee).

If the ship is not in Venice then only those who choose to go to Venice would pay the levy and it could be added on to the cost of the trip. People might choose to something new in the area.

The survey asked about the attractiveness of a variety of different cruise itinerarys.

Some advertised Venice and were berthered in Venice 

Some advertised Venice but with the  berth in Trieste.

Personally I have seen enough of Venice so Trieste might make a nice change with different places to go to.

Interestingly they were also asking about a variety of Greek island tours which looked quite good for a short 7 day fly cruise.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Venice limits the size of cruise ships to less than 96000 tonnes. This limit was introduced several years ago after  evidence emerged that the wash from the mega ships was damaging the wooden piles on which the city is built. P&Os Aurora, Oriana, Oceana and Arcadia are small enough to go in, as are Celebritys Constellation and RCIs Radiance classes. But Azura and Ventura are too big, as Iona and her sister will also be. So if any of the latter ships include Venice on their itinerary , they will have to dock at Trieste as the nearest port which will handle a ship of their size and bus passengers in. I do not believe that these ships currently include Venice on their itineraries for that reason but if P&O get rid of alll their mid size ships to concentate on mega ships it will be the only way they can include Venice.

Edited by Denarius
typos

On 3/15/2019 at 6:43 PM, docco said:

This sort of thing is certainly not limited to P&O.  Many cruise lines advertise Le Havre as the port for Paris - which is getting on for 3 hours away!  Many American Lines also advertise Southampton and even Dover as being London.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Venice limits the size of cruise ships to less than 96000 tonnes. This limit was introduced several years ago after  evidence emerged that the wash from the mega ships was damaging the wooden piles on which the city is built. P&Os Aurora, Oriana, Oceana and Arcadia are small enough to go in, as are Celebritys Constellation and RCIs Radiance classes. But Azura and Ventura are too big, as Iona and her sister will also be. So if any of the latter ships include Venice on their itinerary , they will have to dock at Trieste as the nearest port which will handle a ship of their size and bus passengers in. I do not believe that these ships currently include Venice on their itineraries for that reason but if P&O get rid of alll their mid size ships to concentate on mega ships it will be the only way they can include Venice.

You're thinking the same as me ……

25 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

You're thinking the same as me ……

Likewise - and I'd have no problem with that, provided that P&O clearly show the port visited as Trieste and not Venice.  The post above suggests that they might be planning something different, though:

1 hour ago, docco said:

Likewise - and I'd have no problem with that, provided that P&O clearly show the port visited as Trieste and not Venice.  The post above suggests that they might be planning something different, though:

The information about the 1 hour 50 journey was there or I would not have been able to specifically quote the travel time. The headline visit was Venice. As Britboys says above it is no different to companies advertising “London” when they mean Southampton. As I said above they have done nothing yet, they are simply doing a survey about itinerary’s.

I wish they they would not do this kind of advertising , Paris = Le Harve, but in reality many of them do.

Did anyone else get the survey and what were your impressions?

26 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The information about the 1 hour 50 journey was there or I would not have been able to specifically quote the travel time. The headline visit was Venice. As Britboys says above it is no different to companies advertising “London” when they mean Southampton. As I said above they have done nothing yet, they are simply doing a survey about itinerary’s.

I wish they they would not do this kind of advertising , Paris = Le Harve, but in reality many of them do.

Did anyone else get the survey and what were your impressions?

We haven't had a survey at all and usually get them.