Disembark time at Miami

shuguley

My wife and I will be taking a trip in the fall that will disembark at Miami.  We have private transportation from the pier to our next destination so I was wondering about what time can we expect to be able to leave the ship and secure our bags?  I need to be able to tell our drive what time to be there.

Thanks for the help.

You will be given an option for disembarkation near the end of the cruise and you can choose a convenient time for yourself as long as it's within the disembarkation time period for that port.

Per Regent's website: For disembarkation, guests should plan on vacating their suites shortly after the scheduled arrival time into port. Cruise-only guests should not schedule flights prior to four hours after disembarkation.

We usually don't need transportation to the airport, so we choose the latest disembarkation time allowed.  Check with Regent or your TA to get a better idea.

In the opinion of many CC'ers, Miami is likely the worst port to disembark in the U.S.  The ship may dock at 6:00 a.m. but Regent must wait for the union workers to take every single bit of luggage off of the ship before anyone can disembark.  

When we had an 11:20 a.m. flight out of MIA (which no one thought we would ever make), we stood in line for two hours to get off of the ship.  During that time we watched the dock workers unload luggage.  It was like watching the Three Stooges.  One group takes the luggage off of the ship and puts it on a truck-like device.  They drive it to the door of a building and offload it.  Then, other workers take it on a forklift and take it about 20 feet and stop again.  I could not see how it got to the final spot but it was like watching paint dry.  And, if they happen to need a break (scheduled and always adhered to), everything stops.

Most posters suggest not booking flights out of MIA before noon (I think that 1:00 p.m. is better).  BTW, we did make our flight (but watched others in on the ship miss theirs).  Being second in line to disembark got us through customs quickly and there was no taxi queue.  It was also a weekend so we got to the airport quickly and with time to spare but I would not recommend doing what we did.  

In addition to the luggage process, we seem to run into some sort of immigration issue every time we are in Miami. One time, all non-US citizens had to be processed on board before anybody could leave the ship, and one person did not show up despite repeated calls. Nobody got off until 9:30. On the transatlantic this past November, it was Voyager’s first call in the US in a while, and all the crew had to go through immigration before passengers could leave. It took hours.

For us, we book a late afternoon flight and take are time getting off the ship,  Once at the airport have a nice lunch, go to one of the clubs---your vacation isn't over till you get home-so why have the stress, why hurry even if you're taking a chance to get on an earlier flight.  Another thing I don't run to gates any more, there is always another flight.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

For us, we book a late afternoon flight and take are time getting off the ship,  Once at the airport have a nice lunch, go to one of the clubs---your vacation isn't over till you get home-so why have the stress, why hurry even if you're taking a chance to get on an earlier flight.  Another thing I don't run to gates any more, there is always another flight.

Great advice.  MIA can be a nightmare and keep in mind you need to recheck your luggage after customs and immigration.  Give yourself plenty of time and chill out at a lounge.  Why stress and you arrive home comfortably.  This advice goes for disembarking guests as well as those flying back from foreign countries.

Edited by MalbecWine

Based on several past experiences--some of which I have been detailed in earlier Threads on this exact topic--

Second, and third the motion of earlier posters.  NEVER, NEVER Ever schedule a flight departing from either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale before 1400H.  Even then, depending on day of week, that could be close.  Watching paint dry is a good analogy to watching the clock tick, tick; with repeated announcements not to congregate near the departure area.  What a way to end a cruise. 

We have learned from those experiences.  So--next time arriving at Miami will, at this point, be late March, 2020 when leaving Splendor.  Am already planning our "Great Escape" so as to leave time at an airport Lounge to decompress and accept the reality that we are really off the ship.   

GOARMY!

Yeah, but some of us still in the workforce don’t have that flexibility sometimes.  I’d rather spend an extra day or two on board and come straight home than take a shorter cruise and have a day to sit at home.

I think my worst one was coming home from a 10-night cruise in the eastern Med when we lived in Colorado...we got home at 2AM and I was in the office at 6AM that same day(night?) It was still worth it, though.

This has been a reassuring thread for me as I have been looking at a 3 PM flight on disembarkment day.

A little off-topic, but does Regent participate in the Luggage Valet program in Miami?  We've been able to use it on 2 out of our 3 cruises and liked it a lot.  We paid for it in Miami (about $25 as I recall) but it was free in Seattle.  

8 minutes ago, briar14 said:

In April 2018, Global Entry was available in Miami after a Mariner, Barcelona to Miami trip.

That is good to know - I'll be able to make use of it when we disembark in Miami in November.  The problem though is getting off of the ship.  

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

That is good to know - I'll be able to make use of it when we disembark in Miami in November.  The problem though is getting off of the ship.  

We will be getting off also. Hope it goes as smoothly as it did last April. However, we have heeded everyone’s advice and will take a flight that leaves MIA @ 3:30.

Travelcat2's comments about the dock workers on Miami doing a 3 Stooges imitation is spot on.  However, if they don't feel that their great comedy act is sufficiently appreciated, they will all lay down their tools and refuse to work until some kind type strokes them sufficiently while saying in a soothing tone, "There, there."  In this case, you will be delayed even more before you can leave the ship.

We went to Veranda and had a very nice, leisurely breakfast.  We waited in Veranda until they called our group.  Once released to disembark, it took us maybe 10 minutes to find our bags, clear customs and exit the building.  If felt like much less than that.  We called an Uber and were at MIA within 30 minutes of stepping off the ship.

We had a 1:00 flight.  We could have made the 11:00 flight with plenty of time to spare.  Except, there were no seats.  So, we just waited for the flight.  I wouldn't book anything before noon.  It's not worth the stress.

• Like 1