King Crab Dinner in Juneau?

Sunny AZ Girl

We will be in Juneau in mid-May, docked until 9 PM. We have an excursion on Adventure Bound that ends at 6 PM.  I thought it may be a good day to experience a good crab dinner in Alaska after the excursion.  I see Tracy's Crab Shack recommended at times.  I am not sure if that would be a good evening option, or should we go elsewhere.  Near the ship would be preferable, although if Uber is available we could consider that option.

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

Here is another option:

http://www.twistedfishcompany.com

I am allergic so can't compare.

That looks like a great option with more choices.  My DH would probably prefer a steak, LOL!

Do you know offhand how close it would be to the port?

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

18 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

That looks like a great option with more choices.  My DH would probably prefer a steak, LOL!

Do you know offhand how close it would be to the port?

Very close (depending on where you dock).

• Thanks 1

Do remember that any king crab you'll get in Juneau or anywhere else has been frozen for as long as any you'd get at the Costco in Phoenix.  It's harvested in the winter, around 1300 miles from Juneau.

• Like 1

I second Gardyloo's sage advice.  Don't pay premium for Alaskan king crab in the summer just because you're in Alaska and think it's fresh. It's not.  It's been processed in the lower 48, frozen, and shipped back to AK for consumption, just like seafood you buy anywhere else.  Our fishing guide explained that to us on our last Alaskan cruise.  

That being said, DH ate at Tracy's which was right next to the pier. 

Edited by stacyh270

2 minutes ago, stacyh270 said:

I second Gardyloo's sage advice.  Don't pay premium for Alaskan king crab in the summer just because you're in Alaska and think it's fresh. It's not.  It's been processed in the lower 48, frozen, and shipped back to AK for consumption, just like seafood you buy anywhere else.  Our fishing guide explained that to us on our last Alaskan cruise.  

That being said, DH ate at Tracy's which was right next to the pier. 

Though - where I live, King Crab Legs are not on the menu and most of us don't know how to properly prepare them. For that reason - I think many would like to order them in Alaska where they are used to preparing them.

• Like 5

We are doing a private Whale Watch in Juneau, the tour company also recommended Twisted Fish for what its worth.

(We were incurring about Salmon ) as we might not have time to go to gold Creek for salmon

42 minutes ago, pondhome said:

How about the Dungeness Crabs?? Are they fresh in July? Or Frozen?

According to the Alaska Fisheries Calendar, the Duneness Crab season is May 1 - Dec 31 so fresh crab will be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a summer Dungeness fishery in SE Alaska, unless it's curtailed by the State, so they MIGHT be fresh (i.e. alive) then.  It will depend on the year and how the fish are sourced by the restaurant.  "Season" opening and closing dates are determined based on monitoring, and are regional, not statewide.

Edited by Gardyloo

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, Glaciers said:

In addition to Twisted Fish, we also like The Hangar.

To the OP: The Hanger on the wharf is a wonderful place.  It has a large menu which you can view online  You can call ahead and make a reservation for a window table where you can watch float planes take off and land. We called and made a reservation 3 months in advance with no problem. We both had the battered halibut and it was delicious.  We are planning to go again in June when we will be on our 14th Alaska cruise.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:48 PM, stacyh270 said:

It's been processed in the lower 48, frozen, and shipped back to AK for consumption, just like seafood you buy anywhere else.

uh, no. Crabs are processed (sorted, steamed, frozen) soon after offloading, in Alaska.

• Like 2