Caribbean Princess Medallion door entry - no mailbox

zahav1

Hmmm....the Grand is returning today from dry dock where they started the Medallion ready wiring including the screen where the mailbox used to be located.  We will be traveling with family on our next cruise on the Grand so will make myself one of those do it yourself mailboxes for notes that they would usually leave in the wall mailbox.  Our grandson left us a couple of his toy dinosaurs in our mailbox on our last family cruise.    😃

• Haha 1

The Patter can only be placed on your bed if you're not already in the room when the steward gets them.  We were recently on the Ruby and the steward put them under our door every night as we were already in our room.  Given that we wouldn't want to wait until morning to get them, as we may miss something we want/need to know about ahead of time, I don't really see what other choice he had.  Obviously, placing items under the door would not be good for someone with limited mobility but I'm sure the steward will come up with another alternative if asked.   Anything that came in the morning or throughout the day was placed on the table in our room. 

My guess is that they took out and didn't replace mailboxes hoping that someday in the near future they can go paperless. I would certainly appreciate if they wasted less paper but there are a couple of things, such as the Patter, that I really would be bummed not to have on paper.  As I think they realize, not everyone wants to carry around and/or use a phone while onboard (and a small number don't have one) but I am not sure that they realize that the TV and those big screens they've placed around the ships are not a great substitute for some paper items (the Patter!!!).  We were on the Paul Gauguin in September where they've eliminated a significant amount of the paper handouts. We didn't realize (because we hadn't turned on the TV) that we needed to fill out our disembarkation information until about an hour before we needed to have it submitted and it was just by chance that we decided to flip on the the TV to see if they'd added any new channels since our last cruise.   I am sure that it was easier for them to sort through the info. submitted this way but I didn't find it to be easier for us and it needed to be communicated.  Their daily version of the Patter had been condensed down to 1 double-sided sheet of paper and I missed and/or couldn't find so much stuff because that page was printed in way too small of font and way too crammed with info..  I understand and very much appreciated (from an environmental perspective) the decreased paper usage but it went just a tad bit too far and made things a bit more challenging for us which is not a positive on a cruise. I'm just not ready for that on Princess but I do think that is the direction they are probably trying to go and I do at least understand and appreciate how this would be better for the environment.  

Just off the Caribbean Princess March 16.   The Pattern each night was placed on the bed.  During the night or early in the morning, papers (ex: art auction) would be slipped under the door.  On the last night, my account balance  paper was attached to the outside door handle.

It would be nice to have something on the outside of the cabin, for any papers as sometimes hard to bend down to pick up.

2 hours ago, phabric said:

Just off the Caribbean Princess March 16.   The Pattern each night was placed on the bed.  During the night or early in the morning, papers (ex: art auction) would be slipped under the door.  On the last night, my account balance  paper was attached to the outside door handle.

It would be nice to have something on the outside of the cabin, for any papers as sometimes hard to bend down to pick up.

yeah, I don't really like the account balance hanging on the door - much rather they slip that under the door during the night

Pretty soon, maybe, you might have to go down to customer service to get a paper Platter when OM is fully functional

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

If only there was a way to get them not to give us the art auction and spa stuff! It all goes straight into the trash.

That would be great! Or maybe providing a recycle bin instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why not stop printing all these pieces of paper that eventually end up in the trash and provide digital copies? I get people don’t like change, but we don’t always have a choice so maybe try embracing them. 

I don’t imagine princess execs sit around in meetings coming up with ways to annoy their customers. Profit is their main goal and passenger satisfaction goes hand in hand with that. Not everything can be like it always has been. I have much work to do, but in being less reactionary and have a more “wait and see” mindset, I have been pleasantly surprised. 

We tried a homemade mailbox once. Despite being asked nicely several times, incoming mail was never put in our mailbox. It always wound up on the floor inside or outside the door, on the bed or on the table. Odd since the steward was otherwise quite good.

40 minutes ago, AZJerry said:

We tried a homemade mailbox once. Despite being asked nicely several times, incoming mail was never put in our mailbox. It always wound up on the floor inside or outside the door, on the bed or on the table. Odd since the steward was otherwise quite good.

Interesting. Our steward was happy to put papers in there and even left us little towels animals in it. 

IMG_2394.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SO MUCH paper is used to print the photos that people don’t buy.  I mentioned that on Royal Caribbean Symphony I was on in January, they use face recognition and the photographer said Princess tried it and it did not work.

Edited by phabric

1 hour ago, greenie082756 said:

Great idea that could be placed next to the elevators or at the end of the halls.

Everything is recycle onboard.

They do not need more receptacles. 

They have a very intensive system now and it works well.

Stewart is an integral part of the process.

• Like 1