Can a wheel chair fit through the door of a standard cabin?

desertrose64

My client wants to book a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium but there are no handicap rooms left. When his wife called the Celebrity website they told her that a regular inside or OV cabin door width is 28 inches. Can anyone confirm this? Also this is not taking into account for the door  which  I am thinking is another 1 to 2 inches width. Would hate to book this cruise to fine that he can't get his wheel chair in through the door because the information is not accurate. If anyone is on the Millennium now, would they mind checking this for us. Thanks so much.

5 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

The size of the door in my cabin onboard the Silhouette is 74 cm or 29 inches

Is that for an OV or inside? If you take the door into account would you say that the access space that is clear would be around 27 inches? Thanks for the response 🙂

I don’t know that you can ever be sure unless there is a measurement for the exact cabin. I have never had a problem clearing the door on any regular cabin( non H/ C) on any S-Class ship with my scooter and have had 10. Two weeks ago on the Reflection, we arrived to find a pole to the right of our door than diminished the entryway before the cabin by about 2 Inches.  Thank goodness I am not bound to the scooter so I could get off, tilt the scooter to get it around the poll and continue getting it into the cabin, where there was plenty of room to ride it to the bed and then stow it.  Same thing happened when we went to put my husband‘s rollator/ walker through the door.

If you client is not ambulatory enough to walk a few steps through the door on the slim chance that he encounters an obstruction like this, or if he  is confined to an electrical chair I would not take a Chance. If he is not ambulatory, you must be sure that the bed in the cabin is by the window rather than the door or he will not be able to pass the foot of the bed with the chair.

I have not sailed on an M Class ship with a scooter or a rollator, so when planning our next cruise I booked a HC cabin on the Connie. HC Cabins do become available close to and just after final payment and I hope that if you book a regular cabin for your client, you have someone to monitor availability of a more suitable cabin around the time of final payment.

Edited by Knolmom

33 minutes ago, desertrose64 said:

My client wants to book a cruise on the Celebrity Millennium but there are no handicap rooms left. When his wife called the Celebrity website they told her that a regular inside or OV cabin door width is 28 inches. Can anyone confirm this? Also this is not taking into account for the door  which  I am thinking is another 1 to 2 inches width. Would hate to book this cruise to fine that he can't get his wheel chair in through the door because the information is not accurate. If anyone is on the Millennium now, would they mind checking this for us. Thanks so much.

If the wheelchair folds in the middle, it will fit. 

The wheelchairs that are provided by the cruise line fold in the middle, with just a gentle upward tug on the seat, as the arms and wheels push inward from the sides towards each other so the chair becomes quite narrow.  Those wheelchairs  fit through any regular door quite easily.

image.png.e95132d1c0f4e2fd1eabf1a84a2ad3f5.png

But the passenger needs to be able to get up out of the wheelchair to walk a short way when the chair is folded, such as for entering and exiting narrow doorways.  This won't work for someone who needs to stay seated in the wheelchair the entire time.

Edited by varoo

He is a quad so chair has to fit. We could transfer him to his lift and bring him in the room with that as it is not that wide but then there is the issue of his chair, and storing it outside which can't happen for safety reason and space of course. I wish they would provide more handicap rooms for people in wheelchairs as it is often challenging to book so far in advance to secure a H/C room. Anyways, I really appreciate the feed back. I was trying to get on a forum just for this ship but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. There doesn't seem to be a list of ships for you to click on ☹️ or maybe I am just not seeing where it is haha.

37 minutes ago, desertrose64 said:

Is that for an OV or inside? If you take the door into account would you say that the access space that is clear would be around 27 inches? Thanks for the response 🙂

Veranda 2B deck 7, I measured with my iPhone app

• Like 1

The doorway to the bathroom may be even smaller and there is a step into the bathroom.  So your client would have to be carried into the bathroom.  Also, if there is a tender port, the wheelchair cannot tender because that area on the MIlly is not wheelchair accessible. 

A standard room really will not suit a guest with serious  mobility issue.

Step into the bathroom

Step into the shower

No rail/support by toilet

Sink at wrong height for wheelchair user/or sat on a stool

Very limited space in the bathroom for a companion to help

I did two cruises in large suite rooms whilst having a temporary mobility issue. Long distances used a wheelchair, short distances on crutches. Being in a bigger room gave us additional space to manoeuvre and for equipment. However, small steps into the bathroom and then into the shower were still hard work and I needed help to safely negotiate  despite being competent on my crutches.

I honestly would look at booking a cruise on a different date/ship or if the date is fixed I would consider another cruise line...Standard cabins are fine for mobility challenged guests who can safely and comfortably walk a few steps with a walking aid but for a guest with significantly higher needs the bathroom just won’t work and space in the cabin could be challenging.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If your client is a quad and dependent on a wheelchair, I would not book them into a non-accessible cabin.

I wouldn’t even consider booking a truly wheelchair dependent person in a non accessible cabin. Not only the door access but the bathroom access. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will pass all this information on to my client and next time I cruise I am going to start taking some measurements of doorways haha, just because now I am curious how wide they really are and if you have some mobility then you really don't need to try and find a H/C room if you can get your chair through the door 😀 Thanks again!

Perhaps someone familiar with m class ships can confirm.... but I am under the impression that the bed is by the bathroom on the veranda cabins... and not alternating like S class ships. So this means that there is very little room to get around inside the cabin if in a chair or scooter. Not sure how OV or inside cabins work. We had thought of going on m class but DH needs a scooter and it was unclear to us... where we would keep it... since it seemed clear it would . not fit in the cabin...oh it would get in the door ... but then blocked the bathroom....

Generally speaking the step up into the bathroom is about 4 1/2 inches. There are not true grab bars and not fold down chair. To be honest, if he is a quad... I would wait until you can find a cruise with an accessible cabin. Also I suspect that the newer ships are generally better for people with mobility issues.... regular cabins seem to be a bit larger... generally speaking. you might post on FB "Royal Caribbean Accesible cruising" group page... while not Celebrity... there are a lot of people with experience on different ships.

For a person who is always confined to a WC, I would only choose an accessible room.  

I've not done a M class ship, but was on Silhouette in a WC in Feb and my daughter was in Equinox a few years back in a WC.  We both had limited mobility, but could take a few steps.  No way would I do a completely WC bound person in a non-accessible room.

I was in a small WC and still had to fold it to get into the room.

10 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

For a person who is always confined to a WC, I would only choose an accessible room.  

I've not done a M class ship, but was on Silhouette in a WC in Feb and my daughter was in Equinox a few years back in a WC.  We both had limited mobility, but could take a few steps.  No way would I do a completely WC bound person in a non-accessible room.

I was in a small WC and still had to fold it to get into the room.

Totally agree, no way I’d book a WC bound person in a standard cabin.

I got hurt on an S-class ship in November 2018 and the wheel chair provided did not fit through the doorway. There was also the struggle of limited room by the bed and the step up into the bathroom. I would recommend an accessible room as others have. 

You really need accurate measurements from someone who is on the ship NOW, considering that Millenium has recently been refurbished.

I have seen pictures on FB only this morning of ‘problems’ encountered.

1) Night table lower than the bed, so impossible to read in bed if relying on the bedside light.

2) Two stools at the base of the bed, causing safety  problems at night. Also very uncomfortable to sit on.

3) Chair by the desk doesn’t fit under the desk, so you cannot sit on it and put you knees under the desk.

4) The bath is higher than normal making entry difficult. The shower screen on the bath is narrow, so the shower has to be confined to the corner, to prevent water flooding the floor.