Best Travel Agencies for HAL Good Pricing/Perks

jjeffjb

On 3/31/2019 at 6:57 AM, kantonburg said:

That's good to know.  Will it matter what TA I try to contact?  We have some that are semi-local.  I've never used them, but started looking around last night based on a link from another thread.

Slow down.... ask the questions I proposed.. of any  agent.   Then, and only then will you know who is best.   Plus  I would never ever wait till the last min.... You want an agent in the beginning to work for you... w weeks before

a final payment and  he has  no leverage...       You need to ask the 6 questions before you select any agent/

An example:  I was going to book a cruise.  I saw what HAL charges       Called 4 agents across the country I selected on the baisis of them being top producing agents..   Guys who sell 60+ HAL cruises a month and have done so for over several years.     The best agent offer was 5% off the HAL price, Being put in a group sailing the agent had organized,   Pre paid gratuities.   and  good size OBC.    And finally He would agree to rebate me in cash about 8% of the  net price of the cruise. !!!          That amigos  is what you can get     

Same agent another time  I booked a PH and they over sold the PH.   The line was desperate to get some one to down grade.  My agent negotiated  me moving the a  prem  veranda,  a full refund of my cruise fare + $ 9000 cash + 800 OBC  from the line.       While that is  exceptional it illustrates what a powerful agent can get.

One concept to get over is that this is a vacation fun expense.     Treat it as it was a business investment like buying a home, car or big ticket item.      The line will never treat you  with anything but their own selfish best interests at heart.    You wont get, ever what you deserve  You will only get what you negotiate !!!    The ship line,  dosent matter who  is out to make as much as they can, anyway they can from you....  Realize this act accordingly    HAL has drippy sweet consultants  to play you. and make your experience happy and rosy   so you wont realize your getting it stuck to you.....     Its sales....  You have money  they want it....

1961-donald-dingue-00.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

My agent negotiated  me moving the a  prem  veranda,  a full refund of my cruise fare + $ 9000 cash + 800 OBC  from the line. 

So, because they were overbooked. you were able to get a free cruise in a premium balcony veranda, plus the cruise line paid you $9,000, plus you were given $800 OBC. Sounds wonderful. Oh, wait, it's April 1st...

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 11:49 PM, RMLincoln said:

There is a website that is not a TA but you can enter a given cruise and a cabin category and you will get bids from a variety of TA.  I've used to to check prices but I caution you that not all the TAs are equal,so I would never recommend booking the cheapest rate, you may get what you paid for...  but as a research tool it's been useful to me.  Cruise compete. 

We always use cruise compete for a first check. Not always cheapest BUT you get multiple quotes and a good reference price for what you want. Even used when xferring a cruise booked onboard.

Edited by DanL

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So, because they were overbooked. you were able to get a free cruise in a premium balcony veranda, plus the cruise line paid you $9,000, plus you were given $800 OBC. Sounds wonderful. Oh, wait, it's April 1st...

While it is April 1..... that deal was in October... And yes it was the extreme as I mentioned  But it did happen and exactly as I said... I did leave out  on the 24 day cruise  they also gave me prepaid gratuities/internet ( which Ihave no use for) and 5 shore excursions each !!! They also paid my agent the commission for a PH too !

I felt that adding that would just be too much.... but since you asked  here is the full details   It was on Oceania 

I would swear to that in court.           

27 minutes ago, DanL said:

We always use cruise compete for a first check. Not always cheapest BUT you get multiple quotes and a good reference price for what you want. Even used when xferring a cruise booked onboard.

Its good to check..... but if your jumping around shopping for a best agent  every time.... you NOT going to get the best deals over time.     Find a good agent, one that consistently performs.  Tell that agent that if you get good results you will stick with him  long term.   Let him know  how much you intend to spend on a yearly basis or how many cruises a year you will be booking through him !    Establish a mutual beneficial arrangement and stick to it.

LOYALTY  with an agent PAYS OFF    Mutual trust.     You will get stuff  even if it has to come from his own pocket to keep you happy.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Called 4 agents across the country I selected on the baisis of them being top producing agents..   Guys who sell 60+ HAL cruises a month and have done so for over several years.     

Thank you for all the info.  Where do you find information like that? Top producing information.

Thanks again

55 minutes ago, kantonburg said:

Thank you for all the info.  Where do you find information like that? Top producing information.

Thanks again

Many of the cruise lines  post this...  they have  different names   like concierge club agents   Star agents... etc  call the Sales dept of the cruise line  ask point blank..... If they play around  hang up on them.    Keep looking   It takes leg work  I have an agent over 2000 miles form where I live.   Seldom will you find local     Big box sgencies are boiler rooms   seldom will you get the same agent week after week, cruise after cruise  year after year.      You want a person you can connect with and they you... bonding together

You can start by just calling and asking the agent.... how may cruise with line x or y  do you book... monthly or even weekly 

Go down the list  of questions... Hit everybody      Your in charge  they need to be willing to let you know what they will do to make you a long term customer/ client.    If you spend 10 to 20K a year cruising  tell them that what you  going to be doing and you need an agent that wants to work to retain that sort of client.     Better lines pay agents bigger commission based of cabin and different lines.   Dont expect to get t red carpet if you are shopping for RCCL Carnival NCL stuff   Whe the agent makes more he wants you to be his....long term.    Sell this  to an agent....   Many times once you established as a cash cow so to speak  you will start getting special deals.. You may find that your able to sail in Premium  lines for less than some mass market lines for less money

So I called my first TA today recommended by a friend.  Won't be the last.  Asked the questions  Hawaiidan recommended.  The only thing I'm not sure about is she said I'd have to transfer the booking to see if she can see if there was any added perks, OBC, etc.

Is this normal if looking to transfer the booking from cruise line to TA?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, kantonburg said:

So I called my first TA today recommended by a friend.  Won't be the last.  Asked the questions  Hawaiidan recommended.  The only thing I'm not sure about is she said I'd have to transfer the booking to see if she can see if there was any added perks, OBC, etc.

Is this normal if looking to transfer the booking from cruise line to TA?

Thanks

Yes..... but you already played your hand with the cruise line.   They know your cards....   you need to  quietly  feel around  do dummy bookings  play the system   use a fake name what ever.    So you know what cards the cruise line is playing.   You dont want to go into the line  trusting them.       Once you know all the details  then call your agent and say book this  and I want this and that.   He should already know  from your prior relations.        In this way  the agent does not have to source the client, sell the client the cruise .    You have done 3/4 of the work..... all  the agent for is the deal closer with the ship line  Its a sweetheart deal for the agent...  Like a guy at Mc Donalds you place the order too....  effortless for him.    Your a partner with your agent and he will love you     You do all the leg work  all he does  is squeeze the line.       and fill out the paperwork.          Its all a game to play but this game is worth $$$$     

Good luck and play hard ball to win...  Don't get thinking  it is just a vacation.....  its a hard business deal you demand results for.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes..... but you already played your hand with the cruise line.   They know your cards....   you need to  quietly  feel around  do dummy bookings  play the system   use a fake name what ever.    So you know what cards the cruise line is playing.   You dont want to go into the line  trusting them.       Once you know all the details  then call your agent and say book this  and I want this and that.   He should already know  from your prior relations.        In this way  the agent does not have to source the client, sell the client the cruise .    You have done 3/4 of the work..... all  the agent for is the deal closer with the ship line  Its a sweetheart deal for the agent...  Like a guy at Mc Donalds you place the order too....  effortless for him.    Your a partner with your agent and he will love you     You do all the leg work  all he does  is squeeze the line.       and fill out the paperwork.          Its all a game to play but this game is worth $$$$     

Good luck and play hard ball to win...  Don't get thinking  it is just a vacation.....  its a hard business deal you demand results for.

Just so I'm clear I haven't transferred anything.  I just asked a few questions at this point and even asked this particular TA to find a good deal possibly on a different cruise line.  Just to see

If I'm understanding what you're saying use the different tools available and see if "I" can find a better deal than I currently have at HAL then go to an agent (not sure which yet obviously) for a sweeter deal.

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Is it smart to book on the ship during a cruise?

I generally do not, but I do not see anything wrong in doing so.  From what I have found, the fares are the same,EXCEPT that by booking onboard youget some nice OBC credit (amount varies on the length of cruise and cabin category.  If you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) and use it within 2 months of your most recent cruise, AND you tell the TA to apply promo ZPM (an email most people get soon after they get home) you end up with the same nice OBC.  So, IMO it is better to book onboard if you have a good idea on the cruise you want.  Just be sure that you get a fully refundable (if you cancel) fare.  Best to know the pricing before you board, just in case.

Just now, kantonburg said:

Just so I'm clear I haven't transferred anything.  I just asked a few questions at this point and even asked this particular TA to find a good deal possibly on a different cruise line.  Just to see

If I'm understanding what you're saying use the different tools available and see if "I" can find a better deal than I currently have at HAL then go to an agent (not sure which yet obviously) for a sweeter deal.

Just now, kantonburg said:

Not exactly.  I am saying find a line or lines you like first.    Then find an agent who will perform  according to your wants.  Develop a relation ship     After that is built.... then go shopping  for a cruise.   When you find one   tell the agent  and let him play games with the line for you.     You seldom have the experience  with the cruise line industry to know who and how to put the squeeze on.    He does this daily for a living  full time.        Who is better equipped ?       I never book on a ship as they know your all hyped and a easy mark.    Hey your already on the cruise     No sales problem   Its like fishing in a rain-barrel.for the cruise consultant....     really

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I generally do not, but I do not see anything wrong in doing so.  From what I have found, the fares are the same,EXCEPT that by booking onboard youget some nice OBC credit (amount varies on the length of cruise and cabin category.  If you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) and use it within 2 months of your most recent cruise, AND you tell the TA to apply promo ZPM (an email most people get soon after they get home) you end up with the same nice OBC.  So, IMO it is better to book onboard if you have a good idea on the cruise you want.  Just be sure that you get a fully refundable (if you cancel) fare.  Best to know the pricing before you board, just in case.

I agree..... the line loves it ...its like fishing in a rain barrel.     Selling booze to alcoholics....    They have you 90% sold.... what more do they need to do to sweeten a deal ???     Fish-ON    set the drag  easy.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not exactly.  I am saying find a line or lines you like first.    Then find an agent who will perform  according to your wants.  Develop a relation ship     After that is built.... then go shopping  for a cruise.   When you find one   tell the agent  and let him play games with the line for you.     You seldom have the experience  with the cruise line industry to know who and how to put the squeeze on.    He does this daily for a living  full time.        Who is better equipped ?       I never book on a ship as they know your all hyped and a easy mark.    Hey your already on the cruise     No sales problem   Its like fishing in a rain-barrel.for the cruise consultant....     really

I see what you're saying now.  I guess you mean I played my hand by already booking with the cruise line.  How much leverage do you suppose I would have asking an agent to take over the booking?

Thanks again.

35 minutes ago, kantonburg said:

I see what you're saying now.  I guess you mean I played my hand by already booking with the cruise line.  How much leverage do you suppose I would have asking an agent to take over the booking?

Thanks again.

Perhaps, perhaps not.  I would tell the TA you are considering transferring a booking.  Tell her/he that your asking multiple agents for a "quote".  Provide the date, class of cabin, reservation #, etc., and ask what she/he can do for you IF you transfer.  If the agent won't play, then thank them very much and move on.

I have one agent that I book all my cruises with.  She is a top producer and I believe many here on CC also book with her.  She is very predictable, she matches everything the cruise line offers and then either discounts by 8-10% or, depending upon the cruise line, gives the same amount as a rebate.  

I don't even call her anymore.  I email her with the cruise line, ship, date, cabin # (yes, I'm picky), voyage and ask for a quote.  I usually hear back within a couple of hours.   She may provide a couple of option, refundable or not, a choice of promos with prices, etc. 

BTW, there is There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL).  By that I mean, there are no 'free gratuities, free drink packages, etc.  They maybe 'included' but they are not 'free'.  One of the nice things about Holland is that you can get prices with or without the promos.  Sometimes, they maybe discounted but they're never free.  You should ask.  

For example, suppose the cruise line says we've got 'free drink package valued at $350 PP'.  We usually drink less half that.  The value to us is $150 - 175 PP.  

Another thing.  A cruise line may advertise 'free gratuities' for a month or so.  Or, free drink packages.  But, if you add it all up, the bottom line price of the cruise seldom changes that much.  Those 'free' things are marketing gimmicks.  Some people like 'free' this.  Other's like 'free' that.

Edited by RocketMan275

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perhaps, perhaps not.  I would tell the TA you are considering transferring a booking.  Tell her/he that your asking multiple agents for a "quote".  Provide the date, class of cabin, reservation #, etc., and ask what she/he can do for you IF you transfer.  If the agent won't play, then thank them very much and move on.

I have one agent that I book all my cruises with.  She is a top producer and I believe many here on CC also book with her.  She is very predictable, she matches everything the cruise line offers and then either discounts by 8-10% or, depending upon the cruise line, gives the same amount as a rebate.  

I don't even call her anymore.  I email her with the cruise line, ship, date, cabin # (yes, I'm picky), voyage and ask for a quote.  I usually hear back within a couple of hours.   She may provide a couple of option, refundable or not, a choice of promos with prices, etc. 

BTW, there is There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL).  By that I mean, there are no 'free gratuities, free drink packages, etc.  They maybe 'included' but they are not 'free'.  One of the nice things about Holland is that you can get prices with or without the promos.  Sometimes, they maybe discounted but they're never free.  You should ask.  

For example, suppose the cruise line says we've got 'free drink package valued at $350 PP'.  We usually drink less half that.  The value to us is $150 - 175 PP.  

Another thing.  A cruise line may advertise 'free gratuities' for a month or so.  Or, free drink packages.  But, if you add it all up, the bottom line price of the cruise seldom changes that much.  Those 'free' things are marketing gimmicks.  Some people like 'free' this.  Other's like 'free' that.

That is EXACTLY  HOW  IT SHOULD BE DONE...... AT HOME OR ON MONT SANTO.

57 minutes ago, kantonburg said:

Thanks again.

It is a terrific question.  We have often posted that one does give up some leverage by booking directly with the cruise line.  But there are times when that still seems like the right move for several reasons.   But you still have leverage because the cruise agency gets to pocket a relatively easy commission by taking over your booking.  If you are a nice customer who does not bug your cruise agency, it is easy money (for them and you).  When we feel compelled to book aboard we will usually wait until we get home,  We then send e-mails to 3 or 4 of our favorite cruise agents/agencies telling them about the booking and making it clear we are shopping around among a few favorite agencies to find our best deal.  We wait 3 or 4 days for responses and then give the booking to whichever agency gives us the best deal.  I am normally expecting 7-10% of the cruise fare in OBCs or comparable amenities (i.e. prepaid gratuities, etc).

You have nothing to lose by soliciting deals!  The worst case is you do not get any decent offers and just leave the booking with the cruise line (this has never happened to us).  I will tell you that we have received $3000+ in savings by shopping some of our HAL cruises.  I still shake my head when I see the posts of those that continue to book (and trust) their PCCs.  I have not reached the point where I can afford to throw away hundreds and even thousands of dollars....and booking with our PCC means exactly that unless we do a booking and then transfer it to a cruise agency.  But why bother going through the extra step..when I can simply do a few clicks of the mouse and book with a favored agency (and save money)?  I once told our PCC that we would happily give her our business if she could match what we get from our various cruise agencies.  But that is not going to happen.

Hank

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is a terrific question.  We have often posted that one does give up some leverage by booking directly with the cruise line.  But there are times when that still seems like the right move for several reasons.   But you still have leverage because the cruise agency gets to pocket a relatively easy commission by taking over your booking.  If you are a nice customer who does not bug your cruise agency, it is easy money (for them and you).  When we feel compelled to book aboard we will usually wait until we get home,  We then send e-mails to 3 or 4 of our favorite cruise agents/agencies telling them about the booking and making it clear we are shopping around among a few favorite agencies to find our best deal.  We wait 3 or 4 days for responses and then give the booking to whichever agency gives us the best deal.  I am normally expecting 7-10% of the cruise fare in OBCs or comparable amenities (i.e. prepaid gratuities, etc).

You have nothing to lose by soliciting deals!  The worst case is you do not get any decent offers and just leave the booking with the cruise line (this has never happened to us).  I will tell you that we have received $3000+ in savings by shopping some of our HAL cruises.  I still shake my head when I see the posts of those that continue to book (and trust) their PCCs.  I have not reached the point where I can afford to throw away hundreds and even thousands of dollars....and booking with our PCC means exactly that unless we do a booking and then transfer it to a cruise agency.  But why bother going through the extra step..when I can simply do a few clicks of the mouse and book with a favored agency (and save money)?  I once told our PCC that we would happily give her our business if she could match what we get from our various cruise agencies.  But that is not going to happen.

Hank

One big mistake...your  not developing a  long term relation with 1 agent ,who, in his own selfish best interest wants to keep you and will go to great lengths to keep you.       You have a LOT to loose  if your  a known low ball shopper willing to jump from  agent  to agent at the drop of a hat.... If your were an agent would you really want to give a guy a incredible deal  if you knew  he would cut your throat at the drop of a hat. 

Thats like getting married and the next day day...... you go looking for another wife to see if you can  do better AND telling your new bride your going to do so !!!..... If I were an agent busted my self to get you a killer deal and the next  cruise you jumped to another guy I would be and you would be ticked off ....if someone did that to you !       

LOYALTY  , long term Loyalty  bears fruit..... You may get some good deal  but  once you agent figures your going to jump at the drop of a hat to a competitor..!!!!!.  You have  screwed your self from ever getting  really great deals from that agent. ....you blew it  totally

Agents talk..... you might get a reputation  you do not want     Your taking short term profits at long term expense... and shooting your self in the foot.... maybe  2 feet.  Its going to catch up to you sooner than later and it wont be fun when it does. Playing both ends against  the middle is not good.

Edited by Hawaiidan

16 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Agents talk..... you might get a reputation  you do not want     Your taking short term profits at long term expense... and shooting your self in the foot.... maybe  2 feet.  Its going to catch up to you sooner than later and it wont be fun when it does. Playing both ends against  the middle is not good.

The one thing I avoid is to get a quote from a TA and then shop that quote to another TA.  Nor, do I try to play one TA off against another.  I do not disclose what any individual TA offers.  I will, however, shop a cruise line quote since all TA have access to that data.

Are most of you taking longer cruises or do you have friends & family sailing with you that makes your business more attractive to these agencies?  Since I'm still working most of my cruises are the 7 day variety and I'm usually cruising solo. I probably average 2 cruises a year. I cruise mostly balconies, but occasionally a suite if I see a good deal. Will I have any traction with agencies?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

This is the difficulty I'm having.  Being new and trying to figure this stuff out.  I know you can't share that information, but how would you even find that information out?  Or how did you end up finding this person?