Drink package question (sorry!)

It's been a while since I've purchased an alcohol package, but we're traveling with a large group of extended family so.....

If you're booked in a cabin with a minor (just the two of you), obviously the minor can't have the alcohol drink package...does Royal let you purchase one UBP and one less package (soda only or refreshment) for the minor?  Is there any impact on doing that if you then switch cabins and change key cards once onboard to make it a cabin of two adults (the other will have pre-purchased a soda package only).  So the cabin will end up with two adults - one with the alcohol package and one with soda only.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

I believe you can just purchase the UBP and NOTHING for the poor minor.

Royal doesn't control where you sleep at night (hopefully!!!)

I hope not - since the minor will be switching with me from a junior suite to an inside cabin with her 18 year old cousin 😁

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

I hope not - since the minor will be switching with me from a junior suite to an inside cabin with her 18 year old cousin 😁

We have switched cabins many times with no problems.  However I must say that we were adults and none of us ever had drink packages.  One option is to simply get two spare keys made, one for each cabin and carry your seapass plus the key.  Is the other adult in the JS also getting a drink package?  If so, that would eliminate that problem.    Also if the two minors are too many cabins away, they may not allow it.  Don't really know, but you may want to see if anyone else on here had any problems. 

One consideration, and don't know if this is the case if you switch on board.  We had my wife and DIL in one cabin and I was with my son to take advantage of a specific rate.  The rates came down and we switched to the new one.  Since we didn't need to split the cabins anymore I switched pre-cruise.  Unbeknownst to me,  the drink package I had for my son stayed with the cabin!  I had to cancel and repurchase and it was a slightly higher rate.  Have no idea if that would happen if I had waited to switch on board.  So when you go to do this, ask that question to be sure your drink package doesn't get cancelled when you switch the room. 

Edited by papaflamingo

We've switched cabins with kids several times (but no drink packages).

That's an interesting point about the drink package staying with the cabin.  I guess I'll make sure that I am the listed adult in the JS, so my package stays with me and then hope that my husband's soda package can move with him, or he can always repurchase on board.  I was particularly looking for any intel on whether Royal would make him purchase the alcohol package as well, once we room-switch.  He doesn't drink, so it would be a waste.

Didn't Royal have a policy not too long ago that if one adult in a cabin bought the alcohol package, the other adult in the cabin had to buy it as well?  That's why I'm asking.

Edited by momofmab

Anyone may sleep anywhere.  Once you're ON the ship, you may switch around...they will give you the correct keys for the cabins you'll be occupying.  In other words, booking the "package" adult in one cabin, and the "non-package" in another, then switching onboard, is done all the time.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, momofmab said:

We've switched cabins with kids several times (but no drink packages).

That's an interesting point about the drink package staying with the cabin.  I guess I'll make sure that I am the listed adult in the JS, so my package stays with me and then hope that my husband's soda package can move with him, or he can always repurchase on board.  I was particularly looking for any intel on whether Royal would make him purchase the alcohol package as well, once we room-switch.  He doesn't drink, so it would be a waste.

Didn't Royal have a policy not too long ago that if one adult in a cabin bought the alcohol package, the other adult in the cabin had to buy it as well?  That's why I'm asking.

Yes, they still have that policy but many have reported if they call in to purchase and explain the other passenger doesn't drink at all they have allowed that other passenger to forgo the UBP but needed to get the refresh package instead.

23 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Yes, they still have that policy but many have reported if they call in to purchase and explain the other passenger doesn't drink at all they have allowed that other passenger to forgo the UBP but needed to get the refresh package instead.

Heck, I called to book one Deluxe with VOOM, and one Deluxe only, and ended up with Deluxe with VOOM and Refresh package. 😄

Had to call back to fix it.

Just now, SRF said:

Heck, I called to book one Deluxe with VOOM, and one Deluxe only, and ended up with Deluxe with VOOM and Refresh package. 😄

Had to call back to fix it.

I'm learning more and more I should have worked on having patience, I was not naturally gifted with any but am finding I'm needing it more and more 🙂