Sous Vide cooking

shanni-shanni

6 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

Does HAL kitchen use this method?

Seems like the new 'in' thing.

Tom

Only time we have been aware that they used it was for the De Librije dinner offered in the Pinnacle Grill on some cruises.

It is very time consuming. Many land restaurants have issues with running out of sous vide cooked meats, as they have to be done somewhat in advance...due to the long cooking times. Finishing on a BBQ (at home) or on a stove top/grill is important for those who like "medium well" or "well" done.

• Like 1

From my understanding this company

https://www.cuisinesolutions.com/

Provides a lot of pre done sous vide products to cruise lines.  I dont know if HAL is one of them but the food is pretty damn tasty and it comes out pretty well.  I know that they deal with Norwegian at least but I wouldn't mind betting that some of the stuff they provide may go to HAL.... maybe.

1 hour ago, kaell116 said:

Provides a lot of pre done sous vide products to cruise lines.  I dont know if HAL is one of them but the food is pretty damn tasty and it comes out pretty well.  I know that they deal with Norwegian at least but I wouldn't mind betting that some of the stuff they provide may go to HAL.... maybe.

Its

1 hour ago, kaell116 said:

Its too time consuming and not practical for a ship with thousands to serve....  Its cute  but the galley is not equipped to do it

23 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It is very time consuming. Many land restaurants have issues with running out of sous vide cooked meats, as they have to be done somewhat in advance...due to the long cooking times. Finishing on a BBQ (at home) or on a stove top/grill is important for those who like "medium well" or "well" done.

Have you ever seen a steak come out of a plastic bag following sous vide?   Trust me, you wouldn't want to eat one.  They will sous vide the steak at rare temp and always do a quick sear on the stove top or BBQ.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Muushka said:

Have you ever seen a steak come out of a plastic bag following sous vide?   Trust me, you wouldn't want to eat one.  They will sous vide the steak at rare temp and always do a quick sear on the stove top or BBQ.

If you think the beef looks bad, you should see pork chops. Have seen sous vide cooking several times.

20 minutes ago, Muushka said:

We've prepared chicken at home sous vide, and agree 100%.  It's best to do a quick sear in a hot pan or bbq to make it more appealing.  However, I will say that this preparation does result in very tender and evenly cooked meat.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, taxmantoo said:

Only time we have been aware that they used it was for the De Librije dinner offered in the Pinnacle Grill on some cruises.

5 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

This thread has gone sideways.

I  asked 'if HAL kitchen use this method', not to debate the look or taste of this style of cooking.

Tom

I haven’t seen it used but I have not had a De LIbrije dinner offered on my cruises as Louis (taxmantoo) has.     He is pretty accurate in his reporting 😉

• Thanks 1

On the Zaandam a couple of weeks ago the head chef came by our table. I asked him this exact question (as I use SV at home myself) and he said no, they do not. He did not comment on any other ships in the fleet.