My cruise got cancelled!

Vampiress88

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

I booked mine direct luckily. I spoke to a manager today and they are seeing what they can do. 

I was also thinking as someone else meantioned taking this new Ventura canary cruise in April then swapping the one in August to a different cruise that does Gibraltar. Problem is that I will be going from a sea view cabin to inside and they want me to pay £400 more! 

I am so cross. I understand that it’s because their schedule for refit has been brought forward but I think it’s awful for us with a knock on affect. 

I love good service and if I get that I usually stay with the same company always but this is making me question why I am staying loyal if they don’t seem bothered. 

We will have to see what the manager says this morning but I won’t let this drop as it’s very difficult trying to get round all the school holidays but I really still want to go away abroad. 

No it wouldn’t be better to cancel and rebook. The £350 more in price difference I was referring to was when I checked four days ago. I booked originally in January and every single cruise I’ve looked at has increased extremely since then. Was just trying to explain that it must be a lesser cruise if they are advertising it at a lower price only four days ago. 

Although you booked through an agent and if you phone P and O they will tell you to contact them, you could always email at customerservices@pocruises.com and copy in paul.ludlow@pocruises.com to tell them how disappointed you are and explain your situation.I have found in the past that they sometimes make a goodwill gesture 

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I booked mine direct luckily. I spoke to a manager today and they are seeing what they can do. 

I was also thinking as someone else meantioned taking this new Ventura canary cruise in April then swapping the one in August to a different cruise that does Gibraltar. Problem is that I will be going from a sea view cabin to inside and they want me to pay £400 more! 

I am so cross. I understand that it’s because their schedule for refit has been brought forward but I think it’s awful for us with a knock on affect. 

I love good service and if I get that I usually stay with the same company always but this is making me question why I am staying loyal if they don’t seem bothered. 

We will have to see what the manager says this morning but I won’t let this drop as it’s very difficult trying to get round all the school holidays but I really still want to go away abroad. 

No it wouldn’t be better to cancel and rebook. The £350 more in price difference I was referring to was when I checked four days ago. I booked originally in January and every single cruise I’ve looked at has increased extremely since then. Was just trying to explain that it must be a lesser cruise if they are advertising it at a lower price only four days ago. 

Let me know how you get on. I am going to try and ring them after work and am hoping they will speak to me and not refer me back to my travel agent. They are normally pretty good. I teach so also stuck to school holidays. The Britannia one that we are taking next week (same itinerary) is a Strictly Cruise. And noticed the the one they are offering in Ventura 2020 (same itinerary) is also a Strictly cruise! I’m not a fan and have never watched the programme but would have been nice if I were. I agree that it would be great if you could swap (no cost) to the August Med one and then take the Ventura Easter one on offer.

We booked inside cabin in January and I did consider Ventura but it was ever so slightly dearer and same itinerary as my 2019 one, so that’s why we went for Azura. Don’t know comparison of outside cabin prices. Also, I prefer Azura to Ventura as I like the sea screen on Azura.

I think I will either cancel altogether or take their offer of swapping to Ventura. I don’t think that £50 per person credit is a very good offer though for the disruption, do you? Reading back through the boards, it seems to be their standard offer when they cancel cruises so it will either be take it or leave it.  Tried to pm you but can’t get it to work.

Tracey

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Although you booked through an agent and if you phone P and O they will tell you to contact them, you could always email at customerservices@pocruises.com and copy in paul.ludlow@pocruises.com to tell them how disappointed you are and explain your situation.I have found in the past that they sometimes make a goodwill gesture 

Ill try ringing them directly. They are normally pretty good but will probably be dea;long with many calls today so may refer me back to my travel agent. If so, I may follow your suggestion above.

Thanks,

‘Tracey 

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

I have great sympathy for those whose holiday plans have been disrupted. However, those who choose to use an agent to handle their booking and possibly receive a small discount, have to go through the agent they have chosen if issues such as this arise. It is normal practice throughout the holiday industry and is one of the reasons why many of us prefer to forego any small discount and book direct. 

My experience with my TA on any issues regarding my bookings have always been handled speedily, efficiently and generally beneficially, and no waiting around on the phone until there is a free P&O agent. 

15 hours ago, ann141 said:

Can you go to the Canary Islands on Ventura in April (ask for at least a large inside because of price difference) and see if they will transfer the August cruise to a med cruise on Britannia (including Gibraltar)

I was going to suggest similar. Ventura with children in April is a better option than Azura, due to the roof over the pool. April's weather can be unpredictable so as least Ventura's pool can be used in April if it's raining or windy. 

Except for one occasion when I had to insist on better service, I have never had a problem with amending bookings - albeit of my own making. They have always been really accommodating. As this is of P&O's own making, surely they should be more helpful to you? Incidentally, my brother-in-law is taking his school-age family on a cruise out of Southampton on the Celebrity Silhouette, late July. Is this something you may find a suitable alternative?

On 3/26/2019 at 7:21 PM, ann141 said:

Can you go to the Canary Islands on Ventura in April (ask for at least a large inside because of price difference) and see if they will transfer the August cruise to a med cruise on Britannia (including Gibraltar)

This is exactly what I have asked them. 

They will do it but there is a price difference of £404 and I would be going to an inside cabin for both cruises whereas I had booked inside for April and sea view for August. The problem is that Britannia only does inside then skips to balcony and the balcony was £1400 more. 

I have ended up emailing the ceo cos I got very upset. 

They had already scheduled the refit for the day we were supposed to be back 18th April but they said it’s that it’s been pulled early by two weeks. 

Will have to see but they are not making it easy. 

Just seems like a big con to me. The prices for the cruises have risen loads since I booked in January and now I have to pay inflated prices due to them not fulfilling what I’ve booked. 

Hope something can be done. Really don’t want to lose my holidays and I don’t want to feel this way about p&o since I am going next month too. It’s put a downer on that. 

43 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

They will do it but there is a price difference of £404 and I would be going to an inside cabin for both cruises whereas I had booked inside for April and sea view for August. The problem is that Britannia only does inside then skips to balcony and the balcony was £1400 more. 

They had already scheduled the refit for the day we were supposed to be back 18th April but they said it’s that it’s been pulled early by two weeks. 

Just seems like a big con to me. The prices for the cruises have risen loads since I booked in January and now I have to pay inflated prices due to them not fulfilling what I’ve booked. 

Hope something can be done. Really don’t want to lose my holidays and I don’t want to feel this way about p&o since I am going next month too. It’s put a downer on that. 

It would be interesting to find out what the price of the Britannia cruise would have been at the time you booked your cruises, rather than the price now.I do hope P and O will make a goodwill gesture.

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

It would be interesting to find out what the price of the Britannia cruise would have been at the time you booked your cruises, rather than the price now.I do hope P and O will make a goodwill gesture.

This was exactly my point! 

Had i I not have already booked the August one then it wouldn’t have been too bad. I really hope they do something or we will only be going in August and we have just got settled enough to take the kids on two holidays but I don’t like beach holidays. I get bored. 

Hopefully they will understand its a it’s a unique situation. 

I will definatly feel very sour towards them if not and I doubt I would book with them again. 

7 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hi,

I got through to P&O last night and they were very helpful (even though I booked through a TA and not with them). Annoying yes, that they pulled the date forward by two weeks. Annoying yes, that we are already doing the substitute cruise this Easter. But easier for me as there are just the two of us and we have several cruises this year and next so not as big a deal if we accept the cancellation. Haven't decided yet and am probably going to decide on board Britannia - if we like the itinerary (I've done it before, my husband hasn't) then we may choose to swap to Ventura, if we don't, then we will make the most of a bad deal or cancel.

But, for you, it also involves children and a difference in price. So they have offered to change the summer cruise free of penalty but want an extra £404 to move from an outside to an inside? Is that the difference in price at the time of booking or now (cos don't they offer changes/upgrades for the price at the time of booking and not at the current price??)? I suppose your other choice is to stick with the current August cruise, miss Gibraltar next Easter and do the Canaries twice.

Personally, leaving Gibraltar out of the equation, I prefer the Canaries itinerary because of the weather. There was more outdoor life on the Canaries cruise than the Med cruise (in April) and certainly more children on that one.  And you can do different things in each port this year and next year. Visit different places. Gran Canaria has a walkable beach which might appeal to the children? Do you like Strictly? We don't. But that might be a draw for Ventura, April 2020.

I know it's not ideal, but wait to see what their reply is. I got a better response from CEO's department from a complaint last year than I did from the normal office. They took an unathorised £600 from my account and debited my bank. It was when the computer systems went down in the whole fleet. They assured me onboard that it hadn't been debited and I took their word for it (long story about why this happened). It took 6 weeks for them to reimburse me even though I sent them proof. They had to investigate it and I didn't know whether I would actually end up with the refund or not right up till the last minute and I felt they wre doubting my word. I ended up emailing CEO's office (advice from on this board) and received an almost immediate phone call with an apology (which is what I wanted in the first place) and an offer of OBC on my next cruise.

Let me know what they say. But they have been very polite and helpful to me on this, although my situation is different than yours.

Tracey

2 hours ago, jones721 said:

Hi,

I got through to P&O last night and they were very helpful (even though I booked through a TA and not with them). Annoying yes, that they pulled the date forward by two weeks. Annoying yes, that we are already doing the substitute cruise this Easter. But easier for me as there are just the two of us and we have several cruises this year and next so not as big a deal if we accept the cancellation. Haven't decided yet and am probably going to decide on board Britannia - if we like the itinerary (I've done it before, my husband hasn't) then we may choose to swap to Ventura, if we don't, then we will make the most of a bad deal or cancel.

But, for you, it also involves children and a difference in price. So they have offered to change the summer cruise free of penalty but want an extra £404 to move from an outside to an inside? Is that the difference in price at the time of booking or now (cos don't they offer changes/upgrades for the price at the time of booking and not at the current price??)? I suppose your other choice is to stick with the current August cruise, miss Gibraltar next Easter and do the Canaries twice.

Personally, leaving Gibraltar out of the equation, I prefer the Canaries itinerary because of the weather. There was more outdoor life on the Canaries cruise than the Med cruise (in April) and certainly more children on that one.  And you can do different things in each port this year and next year. Visit different places. Gran Canaria has a walkable beach which might appeal to the children? Do you like Strictly? We don't. But that might be a draw for Ventura, April 2020.

I know it's not ideal, but wait to see what their reply is. I got a better response from CEO's department from a complaint last year than I did from the normal office. They took an unathorised £600 from my account and debited my bank. It was when the computer systems went down in the whole fleet. They assured me onboard that it hadn't been debited and I took their word for it (long story about why this happened). It took 6 weeks for them to reimburse me even though I sent them proof. They had to investigate it and I didn't know whether I would actually end up with the refund or not right up till the last minute and I felt they wre doubting my word. I ended up emailing CEO's office (advice from on this board) and received an almost immediate phone call with an apology (which is what I wanted in the first place) and an offer of OBC on my next cruise.

Let me know what they say. But they have been very polite and helpful to me on this, although my situation is different than yours.

Tracey

No not strictly fans at all. Completely opposite. 

So my deal is now tranfer my inside azura Spain cruise to a sea view Ventura Canaries in April. 

Then transfer the sea view Ventura canaries to Britannia inside Spain cruise in August but still have to pay £404. They have said that the £100 compensation can be added there so real terms it’s now an extra £304 if I want to change all this. 

If it would have been a year apart then it wouldn’t have been so bad. Even better if I’d been on this itinerary before as I’d know if I liked it. 

I think i will just just have to cancel April and unfortunately this would mean I wouldn’t use p&o again as I don’t stay loyal with companies who don’t have any loyalty towards me. 

Lets hope this ceo wants to try and put things right otherwise I’ll be one holiday short but least I’ll save money. Silver linings an all. 

19 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

So my deal is now tranfer my inside azura Spain cruise to a sea view Ventura Canaries in April. 

Then transfer the sea view Ventura canaries to Britannia inside Spain cruise in August but still have to pay £404. They have said that the £100 compensation can be added there so real terms it’s now an extra £304 if I want to change all this. 

If it would have been a year apart then it wouldn’t have been so bad. Even better if I’d been on this itinerary before as I’d know if I liked it. 

I think i will just just have to cancel April and unfortunately this would mean I wouldn’t use p&o again as I don’t stay loyal with companies who don’t have any loyalty towards me. 

Lets hope this ceo wants to try and put things right otherwise I’ll be one holiday short but least I’ll save money. Silver linings an all. 

Yes, it'll save me money if I cancel too 🙂

After I booked Azura April 2020, I found that it would be the last cruise before the refit and I was concerned as to the condition of the ship. Maybe it is good that we have been offered Ventura if you read this thread. I don't think I would have gone for Azura if I had known beforehand that it was going into drydock after that cruise...

Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Edited by jones721

I can completely understand the refit and to be honest if this was the only cruise we had booked I would have found it annoying but it wouldn’t have had as much affect on me as it has. 

The issue still is that they are offering me the same cruise twice in 4 months. I’m not paying £3-£4K twice for the exact same holiday. It’s not worth it. 

They still haven’t got back to me and I still don’t know what to do. 

What would you guys do in this situation? 

What do you think that p&o should be doing to help me?

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I can completely understand the refit and to be honest if this was the only cruise we had booked I would have found it annoying but it wouldn’t have had as much affect on me as it has. 

The issue still is that they are offering me the same cruise twice in 4 months. I’m not paying £3-£4K twice for the exact same holiday. It’s not worth it. 

They still haven’t got back to me and I still don’t know what to do. 

What would you guys do in this situation? 

What do you think that p&o should be doing to help me?

Maybe continue the CEO route, though that's of limited value because they're never read by or dealt with by anybody outside the UK Customer Services team. Often Sam. Very limited powers but that's the way this Ryanair outfit now operates.

You might get a concession, possibly on a non-disclosure basis.

Personally I would try emailing CEO again expressing disappointment that you have still not had a reply.Perhaps investigate the Marella cruise that someone suggested and if that is suitable and you don't get anywhere with P and O book that and go on the planned P and O cruise in August.I would be upset if I was in your situation so hope P and O will make a suitable goodwill gesture

I would also copy in Josh Weinstein CEO of Carniva.l

Edited by ann141

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Personally I would try emailing CEO again expressing disappointment that you have still not had a reply.Perhaps investigate the Marella cruise that someone suggested and if that is suitable and you don't get anywhere with P and O book that and go on the planned P and O cruise in August.I would be upset if I was in your situation so hope P and O will make a suitable goodwill gesture

I would also copy in Josh Weinstein CEO of Carniva.l

Well I have just sent a new email off. 

Its gotten worse. 

Called them to change everything round today and agreed to pay the extra £304 they want for the change of the cruises. An was going to disput this with the ceo

well apparently the offer of the 5% deposit has now ended. 

They want me to pay 15% which means about £440 to change august and then they want £279 to change the April one. 

The april one p*** me off most as their letter says they transfer any offers over. 

Luckily the woman Has said at this point that I can cancel both cruises and get my deposits back. 

I am f fuming. It had gotten to the point that I don’t see why I am trying so hard to spend £7000 with a company that doesn’t give a monkeys. 

I got a good deal for this May but I am now regretting that completely. 

Hate being with companies like this. 

Oh oh just got a call whilst writing this. They can honour the 5% on the April one. Yay! No. Not doing it. 

I shoudnt have had to email the ceo to get them to honour something they wrote in the letter. 

I am litterly at the point where I am done with p&o. 

What other companies are good to try that aren’t owned by p&o? And that aren’t ridiculous prices for school holidays? Someone mentioned Marbella ?

Just now, ann141 said:

Oh dear.Marella cruises and Royal Caribbean are good for families.Princess are also good but they are owned by Carnival.

Just looked at royal Caribbean. Way out of my price range. So so annoyed. 

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

Just looked at royal Caribbean. Way out of my price range. So so annoyed. 

Whereas I find that it pays to book early with P and O ,sometimes Princess cruises and Royal Caribbean have reduced prices closer to the sailing date.Princess have also had good offers in November on Black Friday but in the end it depends on how well a cruise is selling.

Well I have just sent a new email off. 

Its gotten worse. 

Called them to change everything round today and agreed to pay the extra £304 they want for the change of the cruises. An was going to disput this with the ceo

well apparently the offer of the 5% deposit has now ended. 

They want me to pay 15% which means about £440 to change august and then they want £279 to change the April one. 

The april one p*** me off most as their letter says they transfer any offers over. 

Luckily the woman Has said at this point that I can cancel both cruises and get my deposits back. 

I am f fuming. It had gotten to the point that I don’t see why I am trying so hard to spend £7000 with a company that doesn’t give a monkeys. 

I got a good deal for this May but I am now regretting that completely. 

Hate being with companies like this. 

Oh oh just got a call whilst writing this. They can honour the 5% on the April one. Yay! No. Not doing it. 

I shoudnt have had to email the ceo to get them to honour something they wrote in the letter. 

I am litterly at the point where I am done with p&o. 

What other companies are good to try that aren’t owned by p&o? And that aren’t ridiculous prices for school holidays? Someone mentioned Marbella ?

That was me.Marella is run by TUI .All inclusive and a lot cheaper.IMO the food is of the same quality as P and O.

49 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That was me.Marella is run by TUI .All inclusive and a lot cheaper.IMO the food is of the same quality as P and O.

And after a very long break, when we travelled with them last Autumn - we found the shows are infinitely better.  We'd always said they licked P&O into a cocked hat for entertainment but we'd forgotten how good they were.  11 different production shows from the showteam in 14 days - OK they're not of the Cirque Du Soleil or Ice Show variety, but for those who enjoy musicals they are very good - and varied so appeal to a wider audience.  I agree - food was of a similar standard. 

Edited by kruzseeka

I looked at Marella last night and couldn’t find any good ones. 

I need summer holidays 26th July to 31st August for two weeks two adults two kids for £4000ish. 

Ive looked for all sorts of cruises or even just holidays and I can’t find anything at a similar price. 

Really hoping their departmebt calls me tomorrow as they have said and works some magic. 

Really cross with everything tho. There is no one that seems to want to help. They just want more money from you. 

On 4/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, Vampiress88 said:

I looked at Marella last night and couldn’t find any good ones. 

I need summer holidays 26th July to 31st August for two weeks two adults two kids for £4000ish. 

Ive looked for all sorts of cruises or even just holidays and I can’t find anything at a similar price. 

Really hoping their departmebt calls me tomorrow as they have said and works some magic. 

Really cross with everything tho. There is no one that seems to want to help. They just want more money from you. 

It probably is a cruise that you don't want to do (Crown Princess, 24th July) but I booked this one a month or so ago. 4 berth cabin and it was less than £3000 cos passengers 3 & 4 were £199 each. It is a cruise I do most years, around the British Isles - although you probably want to head off to the sun. I love the itinerary, the mix of international passengers plus I am elite on Princess so get quite a few perks. It is also supposed to the be the first 'Medallion' cruise for Crown Princess (they are revamping the fleet). Same ship as Ventura and Azura. Not many families though as they tend to head for the Med. But maybe worth a look? 24th July may be too early for you but the cruise is repeated every 12 days. I'm not going to go back and look at price for you in case it has fallen again (the closer the sailing, the more this particular cruise tends to fall).

Does this appeal to you at all?

Tracey