Major itinerary changes

makai 7

We were just informed that our 2020 Bali to Shanghai cruise has been "enhanced" by changing it to a Bali to Tokyo cruise.   We don't consider this an enhancement. 

It would have been appreciated to receive an explanation for such a major change.  Regent just lost a booking,  and possibly future bookings too.

It is one thing to be unable to stop in a port due to weather.   It is another to completely change an itinerary including the final stop.

16 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

................ and what reason(s) have Regent given for this significant change of itinerary?

My guess would be "- - - - - - - -  crickets - - - - - - - - - "

That's the explanation we received when they completely overhauled a cruise on us once...which turned out fine in the long run, but it was really a shocker when we got the initial change...

We are booked on the Grand Voyage cruise from Hong Kong to Vancouver in March, 2021.  A long time from now, but I hope there are not any changes.  Regent is not showing any itinerary changes on their website .

We are on the Grand Voyage, too. They may not have gotten around to changing it yet since it is still a long way off. I just checked and, yes, no Chinese ports between now and March 2021.

My first thought is the trade issues between the U.S. and China.  Regent is so on top of this stuff that they will change itineraries way in advance to protect their passengers.  They certainly may know more than we do and if it is political, it is not likely that they will share the information.

2 hours ago, BBWC said:

We are on the Grand Voyage, too. They may not have gotten around to changing it yet since it is still a long way off. I just checked and, yes, no Chinese ports between now and March 2021.

.................. with the exception of Hong Kong

27 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

............. protect their passengers??? From what??

You may want to check this subject out in the newspapers.  I found this headline after doing a 10 second search "US-China relations deteriorating fast over flashpoint issues" (Guardian - U.S. Edition).

What many international travelers (like the ones on this board) know just how much China is doing in countries like Africa.  They are endearing themselves in many countries.  This is not the place to be political but it is likely that politics plays a role in the cessation of cruises to China.

Agree - Hong Kong is excluded.  One can only hope that China leaves Hong Kong alone as it is a wonderful place with much more freedom than is permitted in mainland China.

Regent may just being proactive by adding Japan to more itineraries.  After all, they are almost sold out on itineraries that include Japan in 2021.  The same can be said for Middle Eastern cruises (that were flat just a few years ago).   It is likely in Regent's best interest to have their ships sailing in areas that are currently popular than keeping their ships in areas that either have too many ships (the Med. and Alaska) or issues that could affect passengers.

P.S.  Was just thinking of Korea - is Regent still stopping there?  

Edited by Travelcat2

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

You may want to check this subject out in the newspapers.  I found this headline after doing a 10 second search "US-China relations deteriorating fast over flashpoint issues" (Guardian - U.S. Edition).

I do check the news ............... but tend to look for information that is rather more recent than articles from over 9 months ago

5 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I do check the news ............... but tend to look for information that is rather more recent than articles from over 9 months ago

And, do you think that the trade war and relationship between the U.S. and China has improved over the last 9 months?  Perhaps you do not feel the results of this in your country which is a good thing.  I suppose that it is easier to think that Regent made the changes randomly and for no good reason.  I give up.

• Like 1

China has increased regulations on foreign ships entering their ports with regard to fuel emissions and air quality.  Maybe that's another factor?  Doesn't apply to Chinese registered vessels, so it's interesting that other lines appear to be establishing Chinese based ships to sail in that area.   But it's a stab in the dark and none of us really knows - do we?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

China has increased regulations on foreign ships entering their ports with regard to fuel emissions and air quality.  Maybe that's another factor?  Doesn't apply to Chinese registered vessels, so it's interesting that other lines appear to be establishing Chinese based ships to sail in that area.   But it's a stab in the dark and none of us really knows - do we?

Good point.  When we were booked to go to China, the itinerary changed so much that we were no longer interested.

foragap - speculation is exactly what we do on Cruise Critic.  To attempt to suppress our thoughts does a disservice to all of us.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I suppose that it is easier to think that Regent made the changes randomly and for no good reason. 

51 minutes ago, forgap said:

Why not wait for Regent to respond. 

I am sure that Regent have good reasons for making these significant itinerary changes and hope that they will enlighten us soon. Otherwise random speculation, that is not helpful, will continue.

It is disappointing that they have not done this already ............. even for those guests booked on the affected cruises.

Like others, we are interested to know if this apparent boycott of some Chinese ports will continue through 2021 itineraries.

Edited by flossie009

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

foragap - speculation is exactly what we do on Cruise Critic.  To attempt to suppress our thoughts does a disservice to all of us.

No, it’s what YOU do on CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The changes on this cruise are bad; the changes on the next cruise Tokyo to Bangkok are horrendous.  You are way too early to go to Japan for cherry blossoms; I hope a good reason from Regent is forthcoming as these are very bad changes.

Marc

edited to add:  That itinerary is so bad that I anticipate that Regent will offer it to all of us on next fall's oversold Cuba itineraries on Mariner as compensation even though 26 versus 7 days.

further edited to add:  Now no stops in Tianjin or Shanghai in 2020 and one cruise Hong Kong to Tokyo in 2021 to these two ports; something interesting is afoot.  Now I am off to Oceania site to see if similar changes.

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for Regent to respond.  In my opinion, passengers affected deserve an explanation but we (CC members) certainly do not!

Why should this subject be off limits for Cruise Critic discussion?

Why does everyone assume that Regent made these changes voluntarily, especially as no other cruise line, including sister company Oceania, is eliminating Chinese ports. It is very curious that the changes happened very recently, as Voyager was heading to Shanghai. Is there something Regent did that upset Chinese authorities and led them to ban them from Chinese waters from the next two years (as of now, March 2021 is still on)? That would explain why Hong Kong is still allowed, as it is not reached by a river. Just a little thinking outside the box.

BBWC - it is always interesting to discuss possibilities.   Your supposition is as good as anyone’s.

fizzy, impossible to respond to something that I didn’t say.  Your paraphrasing is off.🙄

Edited by Travelcat2

12 hours ago, BBWC said:

Why does everyone assume that Regent made these changes voluntarily, especially as no other cruise line, including sister company Oceania, is eliminating Chinese ports. It is very curious that the changes happened very recently, as Voyager was heading to Shanghai. Is there something Regent did that upset Chinese authorities and led them to ban them from Chinese waters from the next two years (as of now, March 2021 is still on)? That would explain why Hong Kong is still allowed, as it is not reached by a river. Just a little thinking outside the box.

The one time we had an 'enhanced' itinerary on Regent they cancelled Istanbul and re-routed to Malta and Israel.  We almost cancelled but we're glad we kept on - but the itinerary was probably about 80% changed.  At the time there were still quite a few cruise lines visiting Istanbul but a lot of them quit going not long after Regent did.

Seems like if some areas get 'iffy' Regent pulls out first and returns last.  The explanation we received was that their insurance carrier wouldn't cover them in Istanbul.  As good as excuse as any, I guess.