Good Deal or Not?

Jamericannn

The upgrade genie emailed me (every cruise I get upgrade offer) and offered me an upgrade for my two rooms. Details are below. Please let me know your thoughts on this deal.

Ship  - Carnival Magic

6 passengers with three in each room

Original Rooms - 2437 and 2439 (connecting cove balconies)

New rooms -  8379 and 8383 (Side by side regular balconies that has a divider that can open)

Increase only $46 for each room which nothing has to be paid at this time. Still kept my onboard credits.

I grabbed the offer based on :

1. The rooms are a little bigger

2. I read a few negative comments about my previous rooms about noise non-stop from above and also of sewer-like smell in that location. The new rooms only has rooms above and rooms below.

3. Balcony divider can be moved to make a larger balcony

Downfall

1. Being close to the water

2. No longer adjoining rooms

3. Not a big deal but a $92 increase for both rooms

Do you guys think this was a good change or should I have kept my original rooms? (based on your own experience of course).

27 minutes ago, Jamericannn said:

The upgrade genie emailed me (every cruise I get upgrade offer) and offered me an upgrade for my two rooms. Details are below. Please let me know your thoughts on this deal.

Ship  - Carnival Magic

New rooms -  8379 and 8383 (Side by side regular balconies that has a divider that can open)

Increase only $46 for each room which nothing has to be paid at this time. Still kept my onboard credits.

2. I read a few negative comments about my previous rooms about noise non-stop from above and also of sewer-like smell in that location. The new rooms only has rooms above and rooms below.

Downfall

Do you guys think this was a good change or should I have kept my original rooms? (based on your own experience of course).

Personally, I think you got a great deal.  I'd personally rather be on Deck 6 than Deck 2.  Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, Jamericannn said:

The rooms are not bigger. Same size. Balcony will actually be 10 square foot smaller.

I love that location of the Cove Balconies but I can live with the galley noise from above. If you cannot then it is a good trade.

30 minutes ago, NightOne said:

The rooms are not bigger. Same size. Balcony will actually be 10 square foot smaller.

I love that location of the Cove Balconies but I can live with the galley noise from above. If you cannot then it is a good trade.

I believe the regular balcony rooms are 220 square ft + the balcony whereas the cove is 185 in room space

+ 35 ft for the balcony. This is because the coves are actually a part of the room size whereas regular balconies are extra overhanging area.

1 hour ago, LuckyStar said:

Personally, I think you got a great deal.  I'd personally rather be on Deck 6 than Deck 2.  Congratulations! 

Thank you. It's actually deck 8 where I am between rooms above and below :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jamericannn said:

I believe the regular balcony rooms are 220 square ft + the balcony whereas the cove is 185 in room space

+ 35 ft for the balcony. This is because the coves are actually a part of the room size whereas regular balconies are extra overhanging area.

That would not be correct. Your new room is 185 sq. ft. with 35 sq ft balcony as opposed to the 45 sq ft balcony of a cove.

You are in an 8D. By the deck plans the cabin is 185 square feet with a balcony of 35 square feet for a total of 220 square feet.

A cove is 185 square feet with a balcony of 45 square feet For a total of 230 square feet.

• Like 1

As an FYI, regular balcony rooms are not bigger than cove balcony rooms. They are the same size. And actually, the cove balcony itself is bigger than the regular balcony.  So technically you now have less space. Personally, I would have kept the coves. They are much nicer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

As an FYI, regular balcony rooms are not bigger than cove balcony rooms. They are the same size. And actually, the cove balcony itself is bigger than the regular balcony.  So technically you now have less space. Personally, I would have kept the coves. They are much nicer. 

In what sense are they nicer? This would have been my first cove experience

2 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

Ship  - Carnival Magic

Downfall

great deal. We personally dont like the coves at all, so I think its a huge upgrade. Plus adjoining balconies is practically like adjoining rooms...

• Like 2

I just did an upsell from cove to Deck 9 forward balcony at a price that I couldn't pass up .  I love the cove, but DH and DD prefer being closer to Lido and also to the spa, since they have passes.  So I decided to surprise them.   Next time, it's my turn to keep the cove 😁 

You have a balcony on a great ship--can't go wrong with that.

Edited by keywest1
typo
  • Like 1

As one of the minority of cruisers who don't think coves are all that great, I'd say moving up to deck 8 for cheap is a good move.  The ability to swing open the partition and make a longer shared balcony is a plus also, in your case.

• Like 2

Just now, overeasy said:

As one of the minority of cruisers who don't think coves are all that great, I'd say moving up to deck 8 for cheap is a good move.  The ability to swing open the partition and make a longer shared balcony is a plus also, in your case.

each their own I guess. I am with you. Coves are smelly/claustrophobic/too close to the water 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

Ship  - Carnival Magic

Downfall

I think the deal is good purely based on the new cabins are on a deck that is “sandwiched” between 2 cabin-only decks. I am booked for a B2B in the same cabinon deck 8, as I was just on the Breeze on Deck 8, and it was just perfect.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

each their own I guess. I am with you. Coves are smelly/claustrophobic/too close to the water 

How can a bigger balcony be claustrophobic? You have been in a cove balcony before, correct?

6 minutes ago, NightOne said:

How can a bigger balcony be claustrophobic? You have been in a cove balcony before, correct?

Did you miss my 'to each their own?'. Yes of course I have been in one otherwise I wouldn't comment. I dont like how the bottom is more closed, I dont like how the main opening is rounded, and in my feeling less open.

To boot, we hate being lower in the ship...let alone some suspicious smells from time to time during the week. Again, to each their own. We only cruise with balconies, and have just found Coves are not for us..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamericannn said:

Ship  - Carnival Magic

Downfall

Absolutely.   Great choice.  I am convinced the a/c is better up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

great deal. We personally dont like the coves at all, so I think its a huge upgrade. Plus adjoining balconies is practically like adjoining rooms...

I would actually think adjoining balconies is better than adjoining rooms, if for no other reason than it's slightly more private from a sleeping standpoint and very easy access from a balcony standpoint. That would be my preferred "adjoining" configuration.