Hubbard Glacier Last Week Of May

1ANGELCAT

Looking at the Oosterdam for last week of May.

She does Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay. Is this something that can be missed due to weather conditions ?

I have been to Glacier Bay many times , what is so different about Hubbard.

We did Hubbard 2 years ago the first week of June.  It was simply an awesome experience.   We were on the MS Amsterdam and the Captain was able to get real close to the glacier. We haven't been to Glacier Bay so I couldn't compare for you.  The weather was absolutely perfect for us so that contributed to our experience.   If you google Hubbard you will find many videos of experiences.  

15 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

She does Hubbard instead of Glacier Bay. Is this something that can be missed due to weather conditions ?

Ok

15 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

OK.... there is the scoop   both bays are tidewater glaciers.     Glacier bay is home to many small glaciers and has good tidal circulation.   It too is at a lower latitude and warmer as well.

Hubbard glacier is the sum of 3 glaciers coming together  in a deep inlet.    The glacier  that we call the Hubbard is almost  a mile wide and up to 400 ft thick.    Too it is the fastest moving glacier.   That said it dumps  way more ice into the  restricted bay. than all the Glacier bay ones to altogether. 

As a result, until temps warm up in mid August  September.the resulting  calved ice, fills the bay preventing any shipping even ice ships, to get close to the glacier face.   

.    By close I mean  I have sailed into Hubbard from MAY to September.     In may you will be lucky to get within 3 to 5 miles of the glacier face.   Its the way it is.

Last week  in MAY..... bring your binoculars....strong ones. and do not expect to get anywhere close.   In may  go to Glacier Bay and national preserve.        Where the NPS rangers will give you on board all day talks about the park and Alaska.         I worked as  Ranger naturalist in the region for many years....  This is my experience...but what do I know!  

• Like 1

Was at Hubbard second week of June in 2016. The bay was not choked with ice and we were pretty close to the glacier face, no binoculars required for wonderful views. As the previous commenter said, Hubbard is huge and beautiful, and she was calving fairly frequently when we were there. I haven't been to Glacier Bay so cannot compare, but I highly recommend Hubbard. Looking forward to going back there again myself this june.

Hubbard Glacier is special due to the massive size, the deep blue color, and the fact that she is an advancing, not retreating, glacier.
The ride up Yakutat Bay itself is spectacular, then to find that glacier at the end is awesome.

Now all of what I said is predicated on it being a good day, but there's never a guarantee on the weather at any of the glacier opportunities.
If you've never been to Hubbard Glacier, you have to give it a try.

• Like 1

We were there in mid-May 2017 on Radiance of the Seas and got very close to Hubbard. There is no predicting what your experience will be, but It is not true that no ships ever get close in May.

Edited by JT1962

Here is my comment from our May 2018 visits to Hubbard:

"Just returned from our B2B Alaska cruises on Celebrity Millennium. We had two beautiful days at Hubbard (5/17 & 5/19) -- both days the weather was nice with blue skies and lots of calving, On 5/17 we got within a mile of Hubbard and the second time we got within 1/2 mile. What a wonderful experience to behold. "

It is hard to predict what will happen when you go to Hubbard.  We have made numerous visits to Hubbard during the months of May, June and July and have been very satisfied 95% of the time.  When going to Hubbard we go with no expectations and are thrilled when we get good access.

14 hours ago, molole said:

Is Hubbard often missed due to weather?

Yes...due to fog  the area is very fog prone

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Here is my comment from our May 2018 visits to Hubbard:

"Just returned from our B2B Alaska cruises on Celebrity Millennium. We had two beautiful days at Hubbard (5/17 & 5/19) -- both days the weather was nice with blue skies and lots of calving, On 5/17 we got within a mile of Hubbard and the second time we got within 1/2 mile. What a wonderful experience to behold. "

It is hard to predict what will happen when you go to Hubbard.  We have made numerous visits to Hubbard during the months of May, June and July and have been very satisfied 95% of the time.  When going to Hubbard we go with no expectations and are thrilled when we get good access.

To be reliable  you need to go late August.     Other times it will be a crap shoot. that your betting 4000.00 on   Last year was strange in Alaska.... this year it is gang-busters winter.          In August  you frequently get within  400 yards

• Like 1

I have been to Hubbard's Glacier at least three times.  On one occasion we could not get very close because of the ice clogging the bay.  The  other times we got close and the caving was spectacular or as the Irish in Ireland would say "it was Grand.!

We have sailed Alaska since 1992, usually in late May, and have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  We have NEVER had to miss either transit.  Yes, it can be rainy; yes, it can be foggy; but we have always sailed into the appropriate bay without difficulty.  Oh, and the blue of the glaciers can more easily be seen on an overcast day rather than a sunny day.