Carry-On only for Carnival Cruise?

jbethel11

8 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

7-day Caribbean cruise with only one carry on allowed per person! Any tips? 

Are we to assume it's because of bag restrictions/costs at the airport?

I have done a 5 day Caribbean cruise with 2 nights in NOLA prior to the cruise with just a backpack and small carryon suitcase. It was REAL tricky because I refused to leave my suit behind. I packed clothes that could be mixed and matched and went into it knowing I would have 2 options... wear some of my shorts twice or do a small load of laundry onboard. I have no problem wearing a pair of shorts twice so that settled that lol. I also left behind some of the advice stuff (think over the door shoe organizer thing and collapsible hamper thing) to save room. This was on my 3rd cruise. On #4 and #5 I went with 2 children and took only 2 small carry-ons and 2 back packs....of course bringing formal wear. It's more than doable. I have made a game of it and will be trying in June to do 2 nights pre-cruise and 4 day cruise with myself and 2 teens with only carry-ons and backpacks 🙂

27 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

Are we to assume it's because of bag restrictions/costs at the airport?

I have done a 5 day Caribbean cruise with 2 nights in NOLA prior to the cruise with just a backpack and small carryon suitcase. It was REAL tricky because I refused to leave my suit behind. I packed clothes that could be mixed and matched and went into it knowing I would have 2 options... wear some of my shorts twice or do a small load of laundry onboard. I have no problem wearing a pair of shorts twice so that settled that lol. I also left behind some of the advice stuff (think over the door shoe organizer thing and collapsible hamper thing) to save room. This was on my 3rd cruise. On #4 and #5 I went with 2 children and took only 2 small carry-ons and 2 back packs....of course bringing formal wear. It's more than doable. I have made a game of it and will be trying in June to do 2 nights pre-cruise and 4 day cruise with myself and 2 teens with only carry-ons and backpacks 🙂

Yes, this is an airline fee issue. There will be 2 teenagers as well as two adults. Each can have a carry-on and a personal item. Worst case scenario, we would have to check just one bag, but I hope that those 8 bags can suffice for 7 days!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Yes, this is an airline fee issue. There will be 2 teenagers as well as two adults. Each can have a carry-on and a personal item. Worst case scenario, we would have to check just one bag, but I hope that those 8 bags can suffice for 7 days!

I have faith lol. What I did was first eliminate a few clothes knowing I could wear a thing or 2 twice without problem. Then I packed everything I normally take. I was a tad short on room for my suit and my ex's dress and shoes for each. I then started going thru the non clothing items with the "do we REALLY need this" mentality. If you've cruised enough (and I see you have) you know which of your normal items are a MUST and which are a luxury. If you run low on room start eliminating luxuries...you'll be fine. Oh I should add that the first time I attempted this (3rd cruise) I packed and unpacked about 5 times before I got it all to fit to my liking.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I have faith lol. What I did was first eliminate a few clothes knowing I could wear a thing or 2 twice without problem. Then I packed everything I normally take. I was a tad short on room for my suit and my ex's dress and shoes for each. I then started going thru the non clothing items with the "do we REALLY need this" mentality. If you've cruised enough (and I see you have) you know which of your normal items are a MUST and which are a luxury. If you run low on room start eliminating luxuries...you'll be fine. Oh I should add that the first time I attempted this (3rd cruise) I packed and unpacked about 5 times before I got it all to fit to my liking.

Did you try vacuum-sealing bags? I think if I put one day's worth of outfits in a bag and compress it, that should create enough space. Worst case scenario is that I'd either have to check a bag and/or do laundry. 

• Like 1

So glad we live in FL near the cruise ports so we can drive to them - couldn't possibly survive a 7-day cruise with only a carry on. Good luck with that, but if you are determined to make it work, you will. Enjoy your cruise!

7 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Did you try vacuum-sealing bags? I think if I put one day's worth of outfits in a bag and compress it, that should create enough space. Worst case scenario is that I'd either have to check a bag and/or do laundry. 

I've never tried them. I made fit what I felt we really needed and was good with that. The best part was the fact that I never missed the stuff I removed!

We have not checked bags in years!! We've done a 15 day Panama Canal cruise with 1 carry on each + 1 "personal item" (which was a backpack or large tote)

I am the queen of packing and DH is the king!!(LOL) First you color coordinate your clothing so that you don't need too many pairs of shoes. They are the worst!! Wear the clunkiest pair onto the plane.

I put my clothing into the carryon bag and then put everything else into the backpack or tote.

DH manages to fit most of his stuff into the carryon so that he might carry some of my extra stuff.

Don't take every electronic gadget that you own!  Lighten up a bit on that stuff .

Good luck!! Once you figure it out you will be amazed at how little you actually need.

• Like 3

7 day cruise with just a carry-on?  Not a problem.  Honestly just recycle some outfits and you'll be fine.  I do this all the time while cruising.  On a 6 night cruise I'll bring 2-3 dress shirts and just rotate them.  Worst case senario is you become a topic of controversy on this site in Carol's review of the cruise because she is aghast the staff would allow someone to wear the same thing twice; However, chances are nobody is going to notice.  ;) 

• Like 1

I love how we live in a society where someone asks for TIPS and they get "I'm glad I live close to not worry about it" or "I'd just pay the $$" and "Don't be cheap" type responses. I thought this was a message board to HELP people? When did we become a society that just bashes people constantly instead of giving the requested help or if not having any advice just scrolling on? Are we really that miserable of a society that we have to bash people constantly? MAYBE the OP doesn't want to pay the fee...but MAYBE the OP just doesn't want to worry about lost luggage from a connection or MAYBE there is a different reason all together. As members on this board we are here to gather info and if inclined to help others with our knowledge. I'll climb down from the soap box but hope that those that post crappy comments never find the info they desire..

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We have not checked bags in years!! We've done a 15 day Panama Canal cruise with 1 carry on each + 1 "personal item" (which was a backpack or large tote)

I am the queen of packing and DH is the king!!(LOL) First you color coordinate your clothing so that you don't need too many pairs of shoes. They are the worst!! Wear the clunkiest pair onto the plane.

I put my clothing into the carryon bag and then put everything else into the backpack or tote.

DH manages to fit most of his stuff into the carryon so that he might carry some of my extra stuff.

Don't take every electronic gadget that you own!  Lighten up a bit on that stuff .

Good luck!! Once you figure it out you will be amazed at how little you actually need.

FIFTEEN DAYS??? you are my new hero!!

and you are right...once you figure it out it is amazing how much of the crap in some of these lists on here you really don't need!

We are 10 minutes from the port. I have always used only a carry on. My reasoning is that my clothes are very expensive and I cannot replace the items. On every cruise we have sailed, a letter appears under the cabin door. It has a photo copy of a suitcase that has gone missing. I will not take a chance that this suitcase could be mine. I don’t bring very much on a Caribbean cruise... mostly bathing suits and cover ups. I do wear dresses every evening and I bring a few t shirts and a couple pair of shorts. It all fits in the carry on. My husband hates it though, because he has to drag it up from the gangway up to deck 11. The elevators are too crowded to get on at embarkation.

• Haha 1

You guys with only the 1 carryon size bag pp for a 7 day cruise need to talk to my wife.  We

are flying SWA which has 2 checked/1 carryon pp free limit; I expect she will take the full ensemble as she has in the past.

When we flew to Hawaii 20 years ago with the empty suitcase inside the empty suitcase trick.  The porter almost accidentally slung the bag 20 feet because it was unexpectedly light.  He immediately commented “we like tourists like you who buy a lot when you visit.”  On our flight home the Hawaiian Airlines agent said we would be lucky to not be surcharged for too much luggage (and probably overweight) but it transferred to AA without a hitch.

Edited by soonernstlouis

12 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I love how we live in a society where someone asks for TIPS and they get "I'm glad I live close to not worry about it" or "I'd just pay the $$" and "Don't be cheap" type responses. I thought this was a message board to HELP people? When did we become a society that just bashes people constantly instead of giving the requested help or if not having any advice just scrolling on? Are we really that miserable of a society that we have to bash people constantly? MAYBE the OP doesn't want to pay the fee...but MAYBE the OP just doesn't want to worry about lost luggage from a connection or MAYBE there is a different reason all together. As members on this board we are here to gather info and if inclined to help others with our knowledge. I'll climb down from the soap box but hope that those that post crappy comments never find the info they desire..

MAYBE the OP hasn't thought about how he/she is going to coordinate carrying all the pieces of luggage from the house, to the car, to the airport etc.   I just pointed out that it could end up being a bigger hassle then expected and spending a little extra money may be worth not having to carefully figure out what to pack and making sure nobody left  one of the 8 bag behind.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riffatsea said:

@BBigfoot,

IF you can believe it there were articles of clothing that I didn't even wear on that cruise!!

It is our longest one so far!

I DO believe that lol! We haven't cruised in about 8 years. Life got in the way unfortunately. When I was dwindling our amounts on board we also had items unused and unworn. There is an art to travelling lite and I'm praying I remember my tricks for our upcoming cruise. I've already informed my children of the plan and (like their mother did on previous cruises) they have voiced their disagreements lol. I already expect to pack too much in june even with my cuts but hopefully someday I'll be at that level. Maybe in time for the june 2020 transatlantic I have been eyeballing heehee

Yes, you can do it. My whole family travels only carry on.  We have done up to 3 weeks in Europe (that included a 10 day cruise) with carry on.  Roll your clothes, limit shoes and do laundry if needed.  We still managed to pack for 2 formal nights too.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

That is my advice, as a commercial pilot. Pay for a checked bag. Certain airlines especially low cost Carriers have extremely restrictive carry on and personal bag requirements. If the carry on is too big it's going to be gate checked anyway, and if you knowingly gatecheck a bag that too big....guess what you're going to get charged. Lost luggage is statistically extremely rare. 

4 minutes ago, HerbertandB said:

MAYBE the OP hasn't thought about how he/she is going to coordinate carrying all the pieces of luggage from the house, to the car, to the airport etc.   I just pointed out that it could end up being a bigger hassle then expected and spending a little extra money may be worth not having to carefully figure out what to pack and making sure nobody left  one of the 8 bag behind.   

I don't understand what there is to coordinate? It's two adults and 2 teens with 2 bags each. I'll assume that all 4 people are mature enough to be responsible to carry 2 bags to and from cars or planes. How much of a hassle would that be? I have a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son (who is on the petite side) and they already know they are responsible for their own bags or they cruise naked lol. Sure I'll double check to make sure they have their bags but it really won't be a big deal... I'd rather spend the $100? elsewhere...

18 minutes ago, beacha said:

We are 10 minutes from the port. I have always used only a carry on. My reasoning is that my clothes are very expensive and I cannot replace the items. On every cruise we have sailed, a letter appears under the cabin door. It has a photo copy of a suitcase that has gone missing. I will not take a chance that this suitcase could be mine. I don’t bring very much on a Caribbean cruise... mostly bathing suits and cover ups. I do wear dresses every evening and I bring a few t shirts and a couple pair of shorts. It all fits in the carry on. My husband hates it though, because he has to drag it up from the gangway up to deck 11. The elevators are too crowded to get on at embarkation.

I'm not sure what these things have to do with each other. The letter you are getting is for people who checked their bag with a porter and it got misplaced in being transported to the room. No matter what type of bag you have, this can still happen.

I can appreciate not wanting to have you bag leave your side. Between a plane, porter, etc, each chance increases the odds of getting lost. Even with travel insurances, etc it can still be a massive pain. If you can prevent it, why not? Personally, I don't like paying a porter a $5 tip to wait on my bag and have a chance it gets lost.

The art of traveling light for the sake of traveling light is silly. Bringing wine, sunscreen, any other liquids, extra shoes, clothes, snorkeling gear, etc becomes a challenge and minimizes any potential cost savings. Especially if I need to buy any of these things on the boat. I don't completely buy that it's a big money savings because the lines that give a free carry-on are rarely the cheapest overall.

The best tip I could give is you can minimize checked bags by combining or just one person brings one. Not everyone always needs their own. I have to have at least one.

Edited by Joebucks

Add me to the naysaers.... If you can't afford $50-$100 for 1 or 2 bags (RT) yet paying a large amount for the cruise...why are you taking a cruise??.... JBethel...I know your one of the 2 teens...and active on these boards.  Have a talk with your parents  LOL 

• Like 1

I find shoes to take up the most space, I guess because they can't be folded, rolled or otherwise squished 🙂 So we wear our clunkier foot wear and pack a pair of flip flops and nicer sandals. If we are doing something that requires water shoes I will pack those too, but I like to know what excursions so I can plan for that. But my son and I do it all the time, and his personal item is usually just his tablet for the plane, his neck pillow and a stuffy, so not much actual use! I find mix and match clothes the best, and make sure my fancier clothes are easy to pack. I am lucky since kiddo doesn't wear a full suit, he will wear nice pants, a white shirt and a vest with bow tie. Vest and bow tie we take two so he looks different on the two formal nights. 

• Like 1