Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

I suspect its moving to another dock so they can remove the crane that is lying across it I'd expect (use a crane from dry land to move lift it off).

Unless its still in the floating doc but that would seem unlikely but possible maybe. 

1 minute ago, cruisemom3gz said:

Let's hope it is moving and heading to Spain on its own power to get repaired.  We have a June 2nd sailing and praying they didn't find damage that will take months to repair. 

We are on the same sailing.

Non-refundable air already booked.  😞

2 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

Someone mentioned that you can buy general travel insurance that would refund you if the trip is canceled even for airline non-refundable airfare (or at least that's what I understood from the website below but maybe I understood it wrong)  "We always procure a policy from www.insuremytrip.com but there are other insurance sites out there. Third party insurance normally provides more robust coverage for less and it's easy to include all of your non-reimbursable expenses in your coverage.

19 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

Just wish we had a crystal ball... could maybe get on a different ship or change to a land only vacation which I would hate to do but would be an option.  First time to Europe to celebrate our 30th along with our 3 grown children.  I guess only time will tell. 

26 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

I suspect its moving to another dock so they can remove the crane that is lying across it I'd expect (use a crane from dry land to move lift it off).

Unless its still in the floating doc but that would seem unlikely but possible maybe. 

She's definitely clear of dock #2, likely headed to the wharf area behind dock #3, where the Overseas Key West is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom3gz said:

Just wish we had a crystal ball... could maybe get on a different ship or change to a land only vacation which I would hate to do but would be an option.  First time to Europe to celebrate our 30th along with our 3 grown children.  I guess only time will tell. 

I understand your pain.We normally cruise from USA (we live in europe) and normally we have one week cruise and several days after and before the cruise to visit cities, watching sport games, attending events...We spend months planning different routes, hotels, attractions, car rentals...It's not  like booking a new ship and that's it :classic_sad: My parents will be boarding Oasis (i hope so) june 23rd.They are really happy because it's really difficult for my father dealing with long flights, and the opportunity to sail in an oasis Class ship here in Europe is something that they are waiting for years. The other reason is that my father will travel for the first time with his brother, who is dealing with cancer...so this trip will be really special for them...I really hope that oasis start to sail in may! (At least it's moving 0.6 knots right now...I don't know if those are good news, but...:classic_happy:)

Edited by framboesa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fsjosh said:

It's amazing to me that there have been no pics or videos from the scene since the day of the accident. In this age of cell phones, it's monumental that someone hasn't snapped a pic and posted it. 

Perhaps for PR purposes. all employees have been told NO PICS! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

It's amazing to me that there have been no pics or videos from the scene since the day of the accident. In this age of cell phones, it's monumental that someone hasn't snapped a pic and posted it. 

Probably a firing offense for Dockyard and cruiseline employees as well as contractors. Taxi and bus drivers were moved off site as soon as the emergency was declared.

Edited by Scotty G

1 minute ago, framboesa said:

I understand your pain.We normally cruise out of USA and normally we have one week cruise and several days after and before the cruise to visit cities, watching sport games, attending events...We spend months planning different routes, hotels, attractions, car rentals...It's not not like booking a new ship and that's it :classic_sad: My parents will be boarding Oasis (i hope so) june 23rd.They are really happy because it's really difficult for my father dealing with long flights, and the opportunity to sail in an oasis Class ship here in Europe is something that they are waiting for years. The other reason is that my father will travel for the first time with his brother, who is dealing with cancer...so this trip will be really special for them...I really hope that oasis start to sail in may! (At least it's moving 0.6 knots right now...I don't know if those are good news, but...:classic_happy:)

When you think about how much this is costing RC, you can be sure they will sail as soon as possible....right now only time will tell......We are supposed to be on the May 12 sailing. But hearing your situation,  I hope and pray you and your family get to go!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, framboesa said:

I understand your pain.We normally cruise from USA (we live in europe) and normally we have one week cruise and several days after and before the cruise to visit cities, watching sport games, attending events...We spend months planning different routes, hotels, attractions, car rentals...It's not not like booking a new ship and that's it :classic_sad: My parents will be boarding Oasis (i hope so) june 23rd.They are really happy because it's really difficult for my father dealing with long flights, and the opportunity to sail in an oasis Class ship here in Europe is something that they are waiting for years. The other reason is that my father will travel for the first time with his brother, who is dealing with cancer...so this trip will be really special for them...I really hope that oasis start to sail in may! (At least it's moving 0.6 knots right now...I don't know if those are good news, but...:classic_happy:)

I pray your family gets on their sailing.  That will be an amazing trip for your parents and his brother ❤️

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

She's definitely clear of dock #2, likely headed to the wharf area behind dock #3, where the Overseas Key West is.

I would agree with that. Looks like she is being moved to a different dock. Tugs Hanne, Freeport and Honesty appear to be with her. Although as of 2 minutes ago, she's just sitting in the channel leading up to the shipyard

16 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

When you think about how much this is costing RC, you can be sure they will sail as soon as possible

The refund of the booking revenue alone is probably a loss of $15-$20 Million/cruise. Figure in another ~$3 Million/cruise in onboard revenue, and you're looking at a loss of ~$60-$70 Million if just the three cruises that have already been cancelled are all that are eventually cancelled. Include the potential FCC impacts (not everyone will take advantage of that part of the compensation offer), and the revenue loss quickly approaches $100 Million. There's probably that much or more cost for the necessary repairs as well.

Edited by orville99

16 minutes ago, Scotty G said:

Probably a firing offense for Dockyard and cruiseline employees as well as contractors. Taxi and bus drivers were moved off site as soon as the emergency was declared.

19 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Perhaps for PR purposes. all employees have been told NO PICS! 

Even still its surprising that nothing has came out. If this happened in the US, someone would have posted a pic just to get fired and use that for 15 minutes of fame. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Even still its surprising that nothing has came out. If this happened in the US, someone would have posted a pic just to get fired and use that for 15 minutes of fame. 

Even the Bahamian media seems to be having difficulty getting information. The most I've read is that the dockyard reports significant damage to the dry dock.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, framboesa said:

6 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I would agree with that. Looks like she is being moved to a different dock. Tugs Hanne, Freeport and Honesty appear to be with her. Although as of 2 minutes ago, she's just sitting in the channel leading up to the shipyard

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-78.761/centery:26.528/zoom:16

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It looks like you are correct.

2 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

I like that website better. Appears real time. I have it on my phone but sitting at my desk currently. 

So I wonder if they are going to have a mobile crane on the wharf area?

5 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I like that website better. Appears real time. I have it on my phone but sitting at my desk currently. 

So I wonder if they are going to have a mobile crane on the wharf area?

Looking at satellite and other photos of the dock, it looks like that have a large crawler crane over there. Probably will use that to get the broken crane off.