Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Well. you get Grease instead of Cats! Glad it worked out for you. I was on Harmony in January. With each new Oasis class they have learned something new from the past ones. 

👍

I am hoping for something new on Oasis after her "amping" dry dock this fall. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Oasis has Sushi. Downside to Harmony is the shows, Solarium pool, and the Beach Pool. 

You du o get Spinning Man

Right!  Except I prefer Grease to CATS (but then I prefer Hairspray to Grease- did you know the Oasis cast of Hairspray performed in the Tony Awards in 2012?) , but that's just my opinion, I won't judge you John.  Also, Harmony lost the balcony lights on normal balconies that Oasis and Allure have.  I did miss the umbrellas at the Beach Pool and the Solarium pool when I went on Harmony.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

Makes me wonder if the added weight from the crew could have contributed? I mean, when you look at the science behind the dock and cofferdams, and all the work and research RCI put into all of this, they had figured out a way to do it safely with the size and weight of Oasis in general (and the Oasis class) but I don't know if all that research also took into consideration weight of the crew. I mean just a rough guess but that is like an additional 300,000 pounds. 

It's something to ponder, but I really do not think that this weight is really that much in the grand scheme of that ship. I don't know, but I bet an engineer could weigh in. 

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They usually change the show on the big dry docks. Someone told me the stage is redone for a new show so they do it on the major dry docks.

Yep, CATS stage is massive compared to Mama Mia

15 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

Right!  Except I prefer Grease to CATS (but then I prefer Hairspray to Grease- did you know the Oasis cast of Hairspray performed in the Tony Awards in 2012?) , but that's just my opinion, I won't judge you John.  Also, Harmony lost the balcony lights on normal balconies that Oasis and Allure have.  I did miss the umbrellas at the Beach Pool and the Solarium pool when I went on Harmony.  

Didn't Symphony get the umbrellas back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torpeedo said:

I searched back a few and didn't find the answer but does anyone know if we will receive something for the OBC we had?  We had $400 OBC.  $100 was from our Royal visa card.  The rest I can't remember, probably for a suite and booking onboard. Probably SOL on the OBC.

Question, can you book a cruise onboard with an FCC?

Just spoke to Royal they are refunding obc back to credit card but suggest you calll they weren’t aware of this till I asked

We were booked on the July 14th sailing, to celebrate my daughter's HS graduation as she really wanted to see Italy and Spain.  I called RC and the rep on the phone did acknowledge what I read on the RC blog to be true, there is damage underside (he specifically mentioned the propulsion).  Also said something about the ship being placed "on hold".  

With my final payment being less than 2 weeks away, and wanting to still have a cruise to go on, we are moving the NRD and FCC applied to the Oasis to the Ovation of the Seas in Alaska - SO excited!  Losing $100/pp for change fee of NRD (along with some sweet rates I had and obc), but happy to have a ship which hasn't been injured at this point - making lemonade out of lemons!

Good luck everyone - hope you find your lemonade stand 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

It's something to ponder, but I really do not think that this weight is really that much in the grand scheme of that ship. I don't know, but I bet an engineer could weigh in. 

The weight of the crew doesn't have an impact. I'm not an engineer but on one of the ships I served on, we were dry docked at the old Colonna Shipyard in Norfolk and had a full crew complement constantly on and off the ship while it sat on blocks inside the drydock. And, there is constant weight being shifted around as it is.

• Like 1

July 14th?! Wow, my parents will travel on June 23rd, I was expecting that Oasis would be ok by that time. They are waiting for an oasis class ship to arrive to Europe since...ever! And my father will travel with his brother for the first time... I hope they can make it! 

41 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

Makes me wonder if the added weight from the crew could have contributed? I mean, when you look at the science behind the dock and cofferdams, and all the work and research RCI put into all of this, they had figured out a way to do it safely with the size and weight of Oasis in general (and the Oasis class) but I don't know if all that research also took into consideration weight of the crew. I mean just a rough guess but that is like an additional 300,000 pounds. 

Really?  The crew, and the thousands of sub-contractors are always onboard in drydock, and were when the Oasis did this evolution previously, and when the Allure did it as well.  Yes, 2000 crew would be about 180 metric tons, but when you compare this to the displacement of the ship:  100,000 metric tons the crew represent less than 0.2% of the weight (she probably has more weight in fuel and water, each, (a ship this size carries thousands of tons of fuel and water)than the crew weighs.  And the dockmaster can constantly check the weight of the ship (including crew, food, supplies, fuel, water, sewage, etc) simply by checking his drafts, his ballast tank levels, and the stability charts for the dock.  While they do estimate the weight before the ship is lifted, they know exactly (well, within a 100 tons or so, which is nothing) how much weight they are lifting as they do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'd hate to see something recycled.

I did prefer Columbus to Grease

Completely agree. Anything new!  I have seen Grease on Indy twice, and Harmony once. I like it.. but I want something new. Also, until it is an absolute no... I am hoping for Wicked! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fin Cruiser said:

What comes to ships tilting this Finnish guy did make estimation that ship could have fell a side.

That seems unlikely to me. It's basically a flat-bottomed hull sitting on the dock.

14 minutes ago, framboesa said:

July 14th?! Wow, my parents will travel on June 23rd, I was expecting that Oasis would be ok by that time. They are waiting for an oasis class ship to arrive to Europe since...ever! And my father will travel with his brother for the first time... I hope they can make it! 

Now you have me worried about our June 2 sailing...

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That seems unlikely to me. It's basically a flat-bottomed hull sitting on the dock.

Actually, the ship sits on 1-1.5 meter high wooden blocks.  But without knowing what this Finn's job was, I sort of question whether he knows much about drydocks.  But, there are blocks at the sides of the flat bottom as well, to support the ship from tipping.  Short of the dock tipping, the ship is stable on the blocks.

• Like 1

We are currently on Allure because our Oasis cruise for this week was cancelled. We were allowed to change to this cruise and given $200 obc. That's it.  We could have been given a refund but many of us on here had already purchased our air to Orlando.  RCCL wouldnot even reimburse us for the rental car fees because we had to drive to Miami and when we leave the ship Sunday immediately drive back to Orlando in hopes of making our return flights.  Same story as many of you. School break week. No available flights to change too. Etc.  You got a good deal compared to what we were offered. But we are having a good cruise right now