Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

58 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I think the refund and other accommodations are great, but when I think about it, it may not end up being the same value. Symphone is replacing Oasis in Port Canaveral. We booked a owners suite for April 7th as we always do. With Symphone being a bigger ship, our 100% value free cruise from Oasis may not be the same price on Symphony for an owners suite. 

3 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I wasn't looking at only Symphony. But thanks for the clarification

Sorry "Symphone"

30 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the TA is non-revenue, there will be sub-contractors onboard to make repairs while underway, and the crew will need to feed and house them, and do the cleaning of the work areas, as they always do during shipyards.

Will it be safe to be onboard?  If there is anything that affects the safety of the vessel, the class surveyor will not allow the ship to sail by pulling its certificate of class (think of this as your state's automobile safety sticker).  Without a certificate of class, no ship is allowed to enter any port.

Thank you.

Forgot there will be onboard repair workers.

Safe travels.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Dang it.  I got a really good price on Voom for that cruise.  

Oh wow... you were on one of these as well. I think you were on the Nav sailing that was cancelled. So sorry!

I saw your post about some booking just in case of FCC. I thought about that when I booked the Nav, but in the end when it was cancelled, I was a disappointed.

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Very generous compensation. Those of us who were on cancelled Empress sailings back in 2016 due to a drydock gone bad just got $100 pp obc for a future cruise. 

Oh No!  Thanks for the memories 😢 I had two sailings cancelled at that time. In a JS. Ended up going on Oasis instead as dates weren’t flexible. Paid the “prevailing rate” for A JS a week out.  OUCH!!  NO price protection and very little OBC as compensation.  

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Rumor has it the Pins are being given an offer to bump suite guest off the Symphony at no additional charge. 😂

I kid, I kid.....

Well.. there went my evening coffee... right through my nose! 👍🤣

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Powersboyee2 said:

Oh No!  Thanks for the memories 😢 I had two sailings cancelled at that time. In a JS. Ended up going on Oasis instead as dates weren’t flexible. Paid the “prevailing rate” for A JS a week out.  OUCH!!  NO price protection and very little OBC as compensation.  

Sorry to remind you. Again, Royal’s current offer is very generous compared to past cancellations .

Edited by coaster
  • Like 3

I feel really bad for those who had their cruises canceled, and NO, the refund and 100% credit does not even come close to making up for a vacation planned and anticipated for months or even years.  It would be especially bad for those who flew a long distance to sail on Oasis. Luckily, some of the canceled cruises are far enough out that people won't have started their journeys yet. 

Last year, my Radiance cruise round New Zealand from Sydney was canceled with three days notice. I (and many others) were already in Australia when we got the news. Would you have just flown home the next day on another 24 hour journey and given up a vacation you'd been planning for OVER TWO YEARS?  I chose to try to salvage my trip.  I had insurance, but because the cruise being canceled had nothing to do with going to/from Australia I was out of luck with airfare - technically I still got a "vacation". All Royal would have done would be to pay change fees - still out the cost of the ticket, or in my case, all my frequent flyer miles.

End result - I was out roughly $1,800 - $2,000 more than the cruise would have cost me by paying for hotels, sightseeing, and additional airfare - that's over and above anything refunded.  Then my "free cruise" was not free. I was supposed to be in a corner aft balcony on Radiance. My credit did not even cover the cost of an outside cabin to the Caribbean last year. I was out an additional $200 or so, plus the cost of airfare/hotel to get me to that "free cruise".  

Please just stop telling people they've "hit the jackpot" by having their vacations canceled. Ugh!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cruzin-K said:

I feel really bad for those who had their cruises canceled, and NO, the refund and 100% credit does not even come close to making up for a vacation planned and anticipated for months or even years.  It would be especially bad for those who flew a long distance to sail on Oasis. Luckily, some of the canceled cruises are far enough out that people won't have started their journeys yet. 

Last year, my Radiance cruise round New Zealand from Sydney was canceled with three days notice. I (and many others) were already in Australia when we got the news. Would you have just flown home the next day on another 24 hour journey and given up a vacation you'd been planning for OVER TWO YEARS?  I chose to try to salvage my trip.  I had insurance, but because the cruise being canceled had nothing to do with going to/from Australia I was out of luck with airfare - technically I still got a "vacation". All Royal would have done would be to pay change fees - still out the cost of the ticket, or in my case, all my frequent flyer miles.

End result - I was out roughly $1,800 - $2,000 more than the cruise would have cost me by paying for hotels, sightseeing, and additional airfare - that's over and above anything refunded.  Then my "free cruise" was not free. I was supposed to be in a corner aft balcony on Radiance. My credit did not even cover the cost of an outside cabin to the Caribbean last year. I was out an additional $200 or so, plus the cost of airfare/hotel to get me to that "free cruise".  

Please just stop telling people they've "hit the jackpot" by having their vacations canceled. Ugh!

This right here! You said it best! But I realized it's better to sometimes just let the pigeons strut around the board and knock everything over and act like they run the place. No use in arguing with these people. All the ones saying we should feel special are all ones who's cruise wasn't just cancelled. 

• Like 2

We were booked on the sailing to leave this Sunday.  I’d be lying if I said my kids were the only ones to shed tears over this cancellation. We have been very much looking forward to this cruise.  

I do have a question about the refund and cruise credit—hopefully someone here has experience with my situation. I won a “free” cruise ($1250 credit) last April at bingo on Liberty.  This was supposed to be our “free” cruise.  I understand that I will only be refunded for the portion I actually paid, but will I still be able to use my free cruise credit, or is that gone now?  

Thanks in advance!

I heard that Royal's first offer was going to give passengers a choice between picking any vacation in the world they wanted and having Royal pick up the complete tab plus having the CEO visit so the guests could beat him with a frozen fish, or to sail on the same itinerary in the Royal suite on an exact clone of Oasis that they keep in storage for these exact circumstances. Apparently it got shot down after the first passenger they offered it to was mad that they couldn't have both options. 

I get it that it sucks that people lost a cruise, but the freaking dock collapsed. It's not Royal's fault. We don't even know if it's the ports fault at this point. Giving you your money back plus that much more towards a future cruise is more than I expected with the circumstances. No that's not enough for you to change your itinerary and upgrade. But that's not what you paid for in the first place. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CsStingray said:

I won a “free” cruise ($1250 credit) last April at bingo on Liberty.  This was supposed to be our “free” cruise.  I understand that I will only be refunded for the portion I actually paid, but will I still be able to use my free cruise credit, or is that gone now?

I believe someone posted a Twitter screenshot indicating that those that "paid" with future cruise credit would get that credit refunded, I imagine your situation should be similar.

It should also be noted (unless NCL and Royal have different policies) that the future cruise credit applies ONLY to the cruise fare and not to port fees and taxes.  Some folks on from the NCL Epic trips that had problems last month were disappointed to learn that they couldn't use that future cruise credit toward a cheaper cruise and have the port fees and taxes covered.

Edited by hallux

14 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

This right here! You said it best! But I realized it's better to sometimes just let the pigeons strut around the board and knock everything over and act like they run the place. No use in arguing with these people. All the ones saying we should feel special are all ones who's cruise wasn't just cancelled. 

Oldie but goodie

Screenshot_20190402-214723_Chrome.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

As far as the future cruise credit, it is 100% of the fare paid.  So only look at the fare portion of your invoice minus any credits etc.  It isn't a 100% of the cruise.  Taxes, port fees, any promos, are taken off.  When ours was cancelled, the "future cruise credit" was minimal by the time all the promos etc. were taken off.  So technically it is not a 200% refund as stated.  However it is extremely generous of Royal to give the credit!  But I know people who had the kids are free promo.  Hopefully they will do it again so they aren't hit so hard for their next cruise.

• Like 1

When do we think they will say exactly what the damage is?  Just curious if the repairs will be more intense than what they are currently planning on and will require more time.  Would love for them to tell us the complete truth of the damage, once known, and the repair plan/timing so everyone can plan accordingly with whether they want to wait it out or cancel and rebook.  Ugh

I'd be checking ALL other cruise lines if it were me. As long as I'm on a ship I'd take it versus not doing anything. Check Norwegian and Carnival for sure. Or a week in Florida wouldn't be hateful either. I think I could come up with something to make a fun week out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully they dont rush the Carnival Sunrise (formally name Carnival Triumph) in order to make room for the Oasis. Especially with the bad luck Triumph has had in the past. Hell... Last week a fire broke out on the Sunrise causing extra damage. 

I'm impacted by one of these cancelled Oasis sailing but I do think Royal has handled this pretty well.  I received an email and a text message informing me to check my email.

No one likes to hear a cruise is cancelled but under the circumstances they were pretty quick announcing their response so guests like me can move forward.  

No fatalities.  Best news of the day.  Lady Oasis will be great again.  Win-win all around, or as much as can be expected under these circumstances.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, FlyhotmommaVT said:

When do we think they will say exactly what the damage is?  Just curious if the repairs will be more intense than what they are currently planning on and will require more time.  Would love for them to tell us the complete truth of the damage, once known, and the repair plan/timing so everyone can plan accordingly with whether they want to wait it out or cancel and rebook.  Ugh

This might already be known, and reflected in the current cancellations.  Of course, many projects of that scope entail logistics for which delays are practically expected yet unknown.  For the vast majority of us here, knowing exactly what the damage is would be fairly useless in predicting how long repairs will take, and RCL will probably not disclose that publicly.  But I do understand the interest to know more, and am hopeful the Jun 9 sailing isn't affected.  

Edited by willde