Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Antique structure?  You know the history of this drydock?  Please provide some information.  And you know the findings of all the class surveys of this dock since the Oasis did this first in 2014, and the Allure in 2016?  Just because the majority of floating drydocks in the US date from WWII, that doesn't mean every one in the world does.  And, I don't see any evidence that the dock collapsed, the bow on picture does not show the wingwalls leaning towards each other as if the bottom had folded.  Sorry, I don't buy the overloading theory.

Dock 2 came from Portland Oregon I believe. There’s probably a way to find it’s history if you’re that interested 

Edited by Dry Dock Dave

8 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I am very sympathetic to those that are cruising soon.  Its a a friggan disaster and I feel your pain.  In saying that just look at the damage that is just visible in the picture.  Its millions of dollars of damage!!  That screen alone is probably hundreds of thousands.  The cruise industry is no different than how disney operates.  Its all about the vision.  Its about the WOW!  They do now want you to walk on that ship and see a construction zone.  This will not sail with a bent balcony that looks like it does.  Yellow caution tape to block off guests is not the image they want to leave you with.  Dont get me wrong, maybe its something they can fix quickly but it looks very bad to me. My guess is that Oasis does not sail with any cosmetic damage.  I am truly hoping that they get it fixed ASAP so the nobody is effected but those pictures are nasty.

Who knows whats going on below the water line.  To send off all the crew members to the states is another indication this may be a while.

Oh, I agree with you which is why I am getting myself ready to hear the worst. But oh how I feel for those who are supposed to leave this Sunday and next Sunday...to think how much they have been looking forward to their cruise:(

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

Just saw video that if you do a search for Oasis of the Seas you will find that is reporting next 3 sailings cancelled with full refund plus 100% credit towards another sailing....take it for what it is.

Which as much as this sucks, a full refund plus a free or very discounted new booking is one heck of an accommodation!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, clare6921 said:

I’ve just heard we will get a full refund plus can book

amorher cruise to the same

valie of our cruise for free 

That's good news for you!!!.Does this help with your current state of disappointment?

I have heard there is extensive damage to the dry dock as well, which creates even more issues as it's the only one of it size on the east coast for passenger ship repairs and refits of ships the size of Oasis.  Hopefully OASIS will not have to be towed to Europe for repairs.  It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.  

7 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I can also confirm next 3 sailings are cancelled, full refund and a free cruise. The rep advised that Oasis suffered extensive damage to the underside of the ship and Azipods. 

Thats what everyone has been waiting to hear...what damage the ship suffered we can't see....sounds like we now have an idea.

Edited by bajathree

1 minute ago, Beachammo said:

Based on the information so far.....this guy is getting all his money back and three free cruises. Jackpot!!

Not being a techie, how did you copy/paste the screen shot.

16 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I can also confirm next 3 sailings are cancelled, full refund and a free cruise. The rep advised that Oasis suffered extensive damage to the underside of the ship and Azipods. 

Does another Royal ship have a dry dock coming up soon at an oasis sized dry dock? Could they swap dry dock slots? 

Edited by fsjosh
corrected error
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Which as much as this sucks, a full refund plus a free or very discounted new booking is one heck of an accommodation!

These weeks are spring break for lots of families (My school is out the full week after but many are out the week before Easter in my area). It won't be as simple to switch to another cruise over break if you only have one week and flights are already booked. It is also standardized testing time so just going another week and missing school can be a huge issue! 

Just now, ShillyShally said:

Don't count chickens just yet.  My 50% FCC on the Navigator dry dock cancellation turned into 37% FCC which just covered my airfare and hotel loss.  

I'll lose over $400 on my airfare on this one because it's the roundtrip portion of the flight I used to fly to BCN and sail Symphony back in October.  Because it's a half used round trip flight that I'm cancelling it's very restrictive.  With a large FCC I'll hopefully not lose money when all is said and done but it's hardly a free cruise.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fsjosh said:

That suggests to me the TA is in danger as well, but they need more time before they'll announce that. 

Does another Royal ship have a dry dock coming up soon at an oasis sized dry dock? Could they swap dry dock slots? 

The next 3 sailings included the TA  7,14, and 21

1 minute ago, musik07 said:

These weeks are spring break for lots of families (My school is out the full week after but many are out the week before Easter in my area). It won't be as simple to switch to another cruise over break if you only have one week and flights are already booked. It is also standardized testing time so just going another week and missing school can be a huge issue! 

I get that, but since for the most part most won't be out additional funds it shouldn't be too hard to swallow - sure it will suck but hopefully a plan B presents itself for most!  My youngest is a senior in college and we took he and his GF on a cruise for their spring break last month, we would have been so bummed if this happened then but we would have figured something out, there's just no other choice.  I don't miss the days of standardized testing!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

The next 3 sailings included the TA  7,14, and 21

Gotcha. That makes a month until its scheduled to have passengers again. Granted it still has to cross the Atlantic. A little more time to play with, but the rumors floating on here sound like Oasis may be out of service for a while. 

8 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Not being a techie, how did you copy/paste the screen shot.

I just hit "quote" from an older post. I'm sure they just took a screen shot with their phone

Edited by Beachammo

This is such disappointing news for so many involved.

I hope those injured are ok.  

We are supposed to sail mid May from Barcelona.

Anyone have an opinion on if I should be making other plans? Thank You 

5 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Gotcha. That makes a month until its scheduled to have passengers again. Granted it still has to cross the Atlantic. A little more time to play with, but the rumors floating on here sound like Oasis may be out of service for a while. 

Thats what things are sounding like....there is no facility that ship can dry dock in for extensive repairs outside crossing the pond. Also some short term future dry-docks in Grand Bahama are sure to be effected. What a disaster.

Edited by bajathree

10 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

That suggests to me the TA is in danger as well, but they need more time before they'll announce that. 

The TA has  been cancelled