Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

Its the cofferdam, its shown in the pics I posted earlier showing that is all underwater. 

And that's the bit we can't see. Damage at the top in the Aqua theatre isn't great but isn't a quick fix to remove seeing as though the cranes are listing with the dock itself at the moment and would need to be re-floated and hopefully the other cranes leaning against the ship are fine. We are on it at the end of May and was looking forward to the climbing walls and Aqua as something new for the kids to see. 

But underwater there could be damage to the azipods with the coffer hitting them and that would be really bad news. Hopefully that isn't the case and everyone with up and coming cruises can relax but anything in the next week is very unlikely I'd expect. 

Just now, Barklee said:

It's actually after the accident and at 0:25 you can see part of the crane hanging over the port side of Deck 6 just in front of the port LED screen

I agree about the crane in the aqua theater, but the other crane that ends up leaning on the outside of the ship is still standing.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

I agree about the crane in the aqua theater, but the other crane that ends up leaning on the outside of the ship is still standing.

I believe that's a separate crane still standing on the starboard side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barklee said:

I believe that's a separate crane still standing on the starboard side.

The 12 second video and 45 second video show a crane leaning on the starboard side of the ship.  The crew video seems to show that crane still standing and isn't leaning on the ship yet.  I agree that you can see the crane that is in the aqua theater.

Dock 2 is equipped with four cranes, two port (still standing) and two starboard (one standing, one in the aqua theater).  

The crane section pictured hanging over the port side of the ship near the aqua theater appears to be the boom section that belongs to the fallen crane lying in the aqua theater.

d37f2fa71f5c4af6b9ecac5450157b6e.jpg

Edited by twangster

cranes don’t just fall on ships for no reason... its friends don’t then lean on ships out of sympathy for their fallen friend

neither cause cofferdams to flood without warning, and certainly don’t cause a ship the size and weight of the Oasis to fall over 

they lifted the ship too high is my guess,  put weight way beyond what the dock bottom could take in the middle of a flat structure being lifted at its edges and it bent so the walls folded in and the cranes fell / rested on the ship. The dock bottom sinks as the walls fold in and the cofferdams flood.

the only real unknown is what damage the cofferdams did during this, and whether the middle cofferdam has gone through the dock bottom or through the hull for the ship to be at that angle now... the fact they’ve not dropped the dock and let the ship upright itself is not a good sign either way

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

cranes don’t just fall on ships for no reason... its friends don’t then lean on ships out of sympathy for their fallen friend

neither cause cofferdams to flood without warning, and certainly don’t cause a ship the size and weight of the Oasis to fall over 

they lifted the ship too high is my guess,  put weight way beyond what the dock bottom could take in the middle of a flat structure being lifted at its edges and it bent so the walls folded in and the cranes fell / rested on the ship. The dock bottom sinks as the walls fold in and the cofferdams flood.

the only real unknown is what damage the cofferdams did during this, and whether the middle cofferdam has gone through the dock bottom or through the hull for the ship to be at that angle now... the fact they’ve not dropped the dock and let the ship upright itself is not a good sign either way

Well we don't know when these photos/videos were taken and it seems most were taken yesterday shortly after the incident.  I have observed 2 tugs and a pilot boat with Oasis all day today on AIS so I would assume some type of work was being performed today. 

Edited by ezelaya
Additl Info

4 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

Since this is about the third time that they've done this evolution, I find it hard to believe they don't know what draft to raise the dock to.  I'll leave the rest alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

I'm thinking US Eastern Daylight is now GMT - 4.  So 9pm for you.

Clocks went forward over here just this weekend so back to a 5-hour difference between UK and east coast of the US.

2 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

Third time done doesn’t mean a thing if it’s not the same guys doing it 😉

Only if no one keeps any records. Or they kept the weight calculations on the pizza receipt.  I would have thought that RCI would have kept some data on previous dockings as well.

• Like 4