Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

2 minutes ago, jdg623 said:

We are also supposed to be on this Sunday's sailing. Following this situation very closely. Will the press conference be live streamed? Would they contact the affected passengers individually? Wondering if I should be waiting for a phone call or email.

Following. I hope it's livestreamed. From what I understand there will also be an email sent out. Hoping we can sail Sunday! 🙏

1 minute ago, bigdaddy324 said:

Following. I hope it's livestreamed. From what I understand there will also be an email sent out. Hoping we can sail Sunday! 🙏

Best of luck to you and those on your cruise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jdg623 said:

We are also supposed to be on this Sunday's sailing. Following this situation very closely. Will the press conference be live streamed? Would they contact the affected passengers individually? Wondering if I should be waiting for a phone call or email.

We are too.  Hoping for a good outcome and we are able to sail.  No info from Royal yet but I'm sure they're busy getting the crane off the ship and inspecting things.  There is no notice of changes on the Royal Caribbean site.  I would expect everyone will receive an email advising the status if there is a change like cancelling.   Your options will be give to you and a number to call with your decision.  At least that's what happened when I've had cruises cancelled because of charters.

Glad no loss of life.  With workers in the cofferdams and crew potentially around the aqua theater this could have been much worse.  

I'm on the TA so will wait patiently like everyone else to see how this plays out. 

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

Well hope you napped well 🙄

But I can assure you it's neither good nor fun for those of us who are due to travel on in it the next few weeks 😩

Thank you for your well wishes, since I am recovering from the flu.

Now mind you ---- this post was meant to read what others post while I recover, I do not know where the "nor fun" part came in, must be on your part.

Anyway, my post are not critical of others views, "nor" do I wish misfortune on anyone, since I also have two cruises booked in the next couple months on the Oasis class ships.

We plan our cruises over a year out, and I am sure others do likewise, I can only hope this event causes no hardship to anyone, and everything works out.

Safe travels to all.

Have a good day.

Edited by Lionesss
typo

51 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

In the one photo, for example, part of the fallen crane seems to be on top of at least a portion of the elevator floor units used in the pool...so what damage (if any) has been caused to the AquaTheater pool, as well as what impact that will have to even using the AquaTheater are for any shows is still an unknown. Closing that part of the ship (especially for an extended time) would seem to be a major downside to passengers on Oasis.

No doubt there will be choices...any one of which will result in some form of lost revenue. 

It's a shame...we've been on this fine ship twice, most recently a year ago. Resuming things to "normal" ASAP will be a good thing.

Agree, but it's got to be more palatable to Paxs than a overall cancellation of cruise(s).

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Do not want to miss the fun.

This should be good.

Safe travels.

5 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I do not know where the "nor fun" part came in, must be on your part.

Your words

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Agree, but it's got to be more palatable to Paxs than a overall cancellation of cruise(s).

Depends.  Some guests would take it in stride, other's would scream and demand major compensation.  

I just saw the aqua show in December, a second time for me.  I didn't make show reservation on the TA.  For me, it's not a problem.  For another guest who has been anticipating the entire Oasis experience on their first Oasis sailing cruising without an aqua show would be a major letdown.  

Here's one bit of intel, although hard to know how much to read into it: Right after the incident happened yesterday, you could actually go on the website and book the April 7 Oasis departure (it was sold out except for inside cabins). But now the site shows no Oasis cruises available for all of April. The first Oasis sailing showing available is the May 12 departure from Barcelona. Now, the obvious question is were the other sailings sold out or did RCI pull them yesterday? I THINK I saw the April 14 departure was listed yesterday morning but don't remember for sure. And, of course, if I was RCI I would play it better safe than sorry and pull those sailings protectively rather than have someone book a cruise for a couple of weeks from now only to have it cancelled 24 hours later if the damage turns out to be bad.

1 minute ago, br111 said:

Here's one bit of intel, although hard to know how much to read into it: Right after the incident happened yesterday, you could actually go on the website and book the April 7 Oasis departure (it was sold out except for inside cabins). But now the site shows no Oasis cruises available for all of April. The first Oasis sailing showing available is the May 12 departure from Barcelona. Now, the obvious question is were the other sailings sold out or did RCI pull them yesterday? I THINK I saw the April 14 departure was listed yesterday morning but don't remember for sure. And, of course, if I was RCI I would play it better safe than sorry and pull those sailings protectively rather than have someone book a cruise for a couple of weeks from now only to have it cancelled 24 hours later if the damage turns out to be bad.

Some people have been known to book a sail date anticipating it will cancel to get the FCC from it.  

Most likely a safeguard on their part to minimize losses.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Then again...we don't know (yet) the full extend of the damages.  Once that's determined...they'll likely announce their plans for future cruises. I'd be shocked if the one coming up this next week still goes ahead.

A side question here.  It sounds like the drydocks are pretty well booked and I would imagine someone has a reservation soon after Oasis leaves.  What happens if the drydock is not ready in time?

Roy

14 minutes ago, br111 said:

depends where you look. I see dates for all of April open

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

A side question here.  It sounds like the drydocks are pretty well booked and I would imagine someone has a reservation soon after Oasis leaves.  What happens if the drydock is not ready in time?

Roy

They are impacted and so are dozens of the GBSY workers that rely on dock 2 for income potentially.

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Depends.  Some guests would take it in stride, other's would scream and demand major compensation.  

I just saw the aqua show in December, a second time for me.  I didn't make show reservation on the TA.  For me, it's not a problem.  For another guest who has been anticipating the entire Oasis experience on their first Oasis sailing cruising without an aqua show would be a major letdown.  

Especially those in the Aqua Suites!

But most of us know ship happens 🙂  Life can change on a dime, and initial upset or outraged emotional responses are understood - it's how quickly you switch gears and figure out how to make the best of it that will help.  Easier said than done I know but sometimes stopping and taking stock of what you still have can help make lemonade out of lemons!

• Like 2

I am booked for the April 7th sailing and I can confirm that it still shows on my RCCL account and I still have the ability to add excursions/packages to the cart and checkout. 

I see a lot of speculation on these posts but no one with any real information. Several employees on Instagram previously posted the ship was scheduled to be sailing by Sunday. As for maintenance, it was not in for repair, it was a preemptive replacement of a bearing and this was the time they had available to bring it into dock. 

As for damage:; The best photo thus far is the photo of there aerial view of the AquaTheater. It appears the LCD screen is unscathed and the only real damage appears to be to 1 or 2 balconies and the rock climbing platform. All minor inconveniences. ( I personally don't really care for the AT).

The other thing you have going on is misinformation from the media. The larger crane you see tilting isn't making contact with the ship. A smaller mobile crane that moves along the floating dock toppled, but only the top half of the boom and the platform. 

As for not seeing the cruise online- It doesn't show up on RCCL but it shows up on other websites but it shows completely booked as has shown such for several days now. 

There are some photos posted on FB taken from different locations showing the position of the ship and the two cranes on the port side. It's not totally clear from the photos but it appears that the two port side cranes are hard against the ships upper decks. Another shows the upperworks and cab of the collapsed crane laying in the aqua theater. Once upon a time I ran cranes and I can tell you that dissembling a collapsed crane is no simple task. Righting an unstable crane is even more dangerous.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Everything gets pushed back, and its a whole s**tload of trouble for all the ships scheduled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

As for damage:; The best photo thus far is the photo of there aerial view of the AquaTheater. It appears the LCD screen is unscathed and the only real damage appears to be to 1 or 2 balconies and the rock climbing platform. All minor inconveniences. ( I personally don't really care for the AT).

The LED screens did get damaged. The starboard side one is twisted inwards towards the AquaTheater and the port one has the bottom half of its display damaged as it is dark and just graphics on the top half of the screen. The starboard side might  need to removed as it does not appear structurally sound.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

But most of us know ship happens 🙂  Life can change on a dime, and initial upset or outraged emotional responses are understood - it's how quickly you switch gears and figure out how to make the best of it that will help.  Easier said than done I know but sometimes stopping and taking stock of what you still have can help make lemonade out of lemons!

26 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Yes, unfortunately doesn't matter what time yr Cruise/Travel, things happen. I've had half dozen Flights and couple dozen Cruise Port Changes/Canceled over the yrs. Many due to Hurricanes, some months after from damaged Piers. But also Mechanical, Medical emergencies and even Rebels and high Crime. In a short couple yr period my planes had flat tire(2 times), inop bathrooms, electrical issues, cracked windshield causing us land at different airport and once slip off concrete and stuck in deep snow. Did get thousands dollars towards future flights and Cruise OBC but few times only free drinks for 2hrs. Too bad I don't drink... Hopefully this wont effect too many Cruises and passengers

Edited by ONECRUISER

According to AIS Traffic, there are 2 tugs (Svitzer Freeport and Svitzer Haane) that are currently hanging out with Oasis and have been all morning. I would assume this means work is still going on. 

26 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

I am booked for the April 7th sailing and I can confirm that it still shows on my RCCL account and I still have the ability to add excursions/packages to the cart and checkout. 

Welcome to CC.

RCI web site will likely be the last place that will be updated. With charters it's sometimes weeks before RCI web site catches up with reality.

We are sailing in the "1A," last balcony cabin on the starboard side on deck 7. So the damaged balcony is the area right next to us, I think. Just looking at the pictures and going hmmm. Sailing on the 5/26 trip out of Barcelona.

Edited by bizeemom4