Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

5 minutes ago, scooby1 said:

Not sure this link has been posted before. It shows shots from the other side of the ship where the end of crane has fallen, and the back of the ship. 

https://www.is.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000006055885.html?utm_medium=social

Also that the area under the azipods that had the steps showing in this feed below are now sunken beneath the ship. For those cruising on the Oasis soon I hope all is ok and it can't have been a great experience for the workers near the collapse. All work to fix the ship is likely to be at a stop for the time being regardless I expect.

I wonder if Royal is going to regret all the posts by Van Fleet 🤔

Edited by John&LaLa

5 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Rotterdam (where the Oasis has been in 2014), Cadiz (Navantia, where the Allure has been in 2015 and Oasis is scheduled to go in fall) and I´m not sure about Marseilles.

steamboats

Lisnave's old yard in Lisbon had an immense drydock capable of handling a million gross ton vessel, but I don't believe that is operational anymore.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Would love to see a photo of the other side, but that looks to me like the dock sank, not necessarily broke up.  There could be some damage to the hull, but where it is in contact or near contact would be above the waterline normally, so not real serious.  I see that the anchor chain has been "ranged" on the dock floor for inspection/cleaning, and this might be a worry if the ship is sitting on the chain.  Another possible damage point is whether the stabilizers are damaged.  Certainly the shifting of the ship in relation to the cofferdams is a concern, but these were much larger than the pod itself, in order to allow space for the propeller when removed, and the spare shaft cartridge, along with work area, so the worst might be a bent blade or two, which can be straightened.

Maybe this is me just not understanding how the mechanics of the dock works, but if the "right" side of the dock just sank, wouldn't the whole thing have leaned right as well? I'm thinking of the dock as a big metal bathtub that they can open the end of. If one side were to sink, shouldn't the whole thing tip that direction? Following that logic, wouldn't the crane have fell away from the ship as it should have been leaning right as well?That would also make me think that the ship shouldn't have hit that side wall unless it tipped farther than the rest of the dock. 

@fsjosh  if Oasis impacted the "inside" crane supports when the dock tipped, the crane would collapse in the direction of the compromised supports unless the forces in the opposite direction were enough to make it go the other way.  If the boom was over the stern of the ship, those forces would have to be pretty impressive.

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Would love to see a photo of the other side, but that looks to me like the dock sank, not necessarily broke up.  There could be some damage to the hull, but where it is in contact or near contact would be above the waterline normally, so not real serious.  I see that the anchor chain has been "ranged" on the dock floor for inspection/cleaning, and this might be a worry if the ship is sitting on the chain.  Another possible damage point is whether the stabilizers are damaged.  Certainly the shifting of the ship in relation to the cofferdams is a concern, but these were much larger than the pod itself, in order to allow space for the propeller when removed, and the spare shaft cartridge, along with work area, so the worst might be a bent blade or two, which can be straightened.

Not the clearest photo but the closest I could find. 

F1846C47-BBE6-4B34-BED1-097499E0EABE.png

oasis.PNG.b8687c7cab0b9cf1818872a7e71f1587.PNG

Here is an interesting angle. You can see the bottom balcony on the starboard side is crushed along with the LED screen. Also, the glass/railings on the very top deck are gone.

Source: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2019/apr/02/eight-injured-dockyard-accident/

Edited by bowler15547
added source
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks Chief for the info.

36 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Maybe this is me just not understanding how the mechanics of the dock works, but if the "right" side of the dock just sank, wouldn't the whole thing have leaned right as well? I'm thinking of the dock as a big metal bathtub that they can open the end of. If one side were to sink, shouldn't the whole thing tip that direction? Following that logic, wouldn't the crane have fell away from the ship as it should have been leaning right as well?That would also make me think that the ship shouldn't have hit that side wall unless it tipped farther than the rest of the dock. 

A guess on my part but I'd say in this case the crane proverbially "got taken out at its knees" and fell in the direction to which it had more mass.  In this case it had more mass towards the ship than dry land.  

If the crane was on level surface (a guess on my part) when the ship/dock listed into it, it would weakening the crane's support structure.  It would have responded like cutting a wedge from a tree, falling it where the forces of gravity take it.  No matter what way it went wasn't going to be good.  Thankfully it was not as bad as what it could have been.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Clearly based on all the images...this is not a short term fix.

On the plus side...there has been no news of significant injuries. On the down side...Oasis looks to be "out of commission" for a while until all the repairs can be done.

That one balcony being destroyed, plus the damage in the AquaTheater area won't happen in just a couple days time. Then there will be the required inspections.

Major OUCH!

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

@fsjosh  if Oasis impacted the "inside" crane supports when the dock tipped, the crane would collapse in the direction of the compromised supports unless the forces in the opposite direction were enough to make it go the other way.  If the boom was over the stern of the ship, those forces would have to be pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks Chief for the info.

A guess on my part but I'd say in this case the crane proverbially "got taken out at its knees" and fell in the direction to which it had more mass.  In this case it had more mass towards the ship than dry land.  

If the crane was on level surface (a guess on my part) when the ship/dock listed into it, it would weakening the crane's support structure.  It would have responded like cutting a wedge from a tree, falling it where the forces of gravity take it.  No matter what way it went wasn't going to be good.  Thankfully it was not as bad as what it could have been.

I get that if the ship struck the dock, it would cause the crane to go towards the ship. I'm just trying to figure out why, if just one side of the dock sank, the ship would have hit the dock. The dock wall and crane should have started moving the same direction the ship was going when it started going down. 

43 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Why do I have a feeling that CC will melt down after that?

Thank you for posting what I was thinking.

Taking a nap today.

Do not want to miss the fun.

This should be good.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The dock is more of a "gutter", with a bottom and two sides, no ends.  From the above photo, the port side of the dock appears to be leaning away from the piling that the dock is secured to, so the dock is "leaning" to starboard (the left in the photo).  As the dock does not lift the ship completely out of the water in this case, it doesn't take a complete sinking to remove support from the starboard side of the ship, hence the only small difference in drydock wall height above water.  Maybe only one ballast tank filled, and the rest on the starboard side of the dock are still providing some flotation to keep the dock off the bottom, but not high enough to support Oasis.  There is nothing holding that crane down onto the rail that it moves on, so if the Oasis bumped against it while listing, it would have knocked it over. Hallux is correct that with the boom over the ship, the center of gravity would topple it that way.  And, yes, the ship did heel over more than the dock, because the high side of the dock is holding up some of the weight on that side.  Don't forget that the high side of the ship is still being supported on blocks above the dock floor.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder if Royal is going to regret all the posts by Van Fleet 🤔

Thanks for the video of the cofferdams.  I remember now, that the aft end and sides of them were placed in the dock before the ship entered, then the ship was backed into them, and finally the forward "doors" were raised from the dock floor to close them off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bowler15547 said:

oasis.PNG.b8687c7cab0b9cf1818872a7e71f1587.PNG

Here is an interesting angle. You can see the bottom balcony on the starboard side is crushed along with the LED screen. Also, the glass/railings on the very top deck are gone.

Source: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2019/apr/02/eight-injured-dockyard-accident/

You are correct, the TV screen looks compromised.  It could be removed and be replaced at a later time, "dropped" in a replacement one at a later date.  That balcony you mention is deck 7 and the rock climbing preparation area.  If it didn't hit the balcony above, that is even better.  Deck 8 is the first Aqua Theatre Suite.  

From the photos I have seen it looks as though the cab of the crane is sitting on the ATS pool platforms.  If they are damaged I would think it could take a while to fix, depending on the type of damage.  Simply amazing that injuries weren't more than reported.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

If this dock is seriously damaged, will that affect the pod maintenance that Allure will be getting in 10 - 11 months?

Depends on the damage.  Could they repair it in 10 months?  Sure.  Could they even stitch it together if it broke in two or bent in 10 months?  Sure.  Is it worth it?  Don't know.  Don't know the history of that dock, to determine its condition based on age.

• Like 1

WOW....is all I have to say....those pictures show some pretty extensive damage to the aft/aquatheater area of the ship. Will be interesting to see how much damage was suffered to things we don't yet see. 

Edited by bajathree

It's amazing how fast these repairs can be carried out.

We pulled into San Francisco in a frigate a little too fast, tore a 12' long hole along the Stbd Aft section just above the waterline.

We were so excited, it was only a 4-day R&R visit. 

We thought we would be there for weeks.

The Dockyard had us patched up, painted as if nothing happened and we still sailed on time. 😞

Money talks, I’m sure it will here too. That and an insurance payout to speed things along.

4 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

We pulled into San Francisco in a frigate a little too fast, tore a 12' long hole along the Stbd Aft section just above the waterline.

The Dockyard had us patched up, painted as if nothing happened and we still sailed on time. 😞

Money talks, I’m sure it will here too. That and an insurance payout to speed things along.

Issue I could see with speedy repairs is it also  just took out dry dock 2.

8 minutes ago, bajathree said:

WOW....is all I have to say....those pictures show some pretty extensive damage to the aft/aquatheater area of the ship. Will be interesting to see how much damage was suffered to things we don't yet see. 

I wonder if they stow all the glasses in bars & breakable items in the gift shops throughout the ship during the drydock process?  With the way the ship is sitting, and perhaps this was a sudden jolt or lurch starboard, even rocking a bit back & forth a bit, I could see a lot of superficial damage throughout the ship. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Issue I could see with speedy repairs is it also  just took out dry dock 2.

But all of the repairs from the falling crane do not require a drydock, only a wet berth with cranage available.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

Since RCI is a part owner of the shipyard, they will be paying themselves.  i believe that drydock P&I insurance is similar to ship's insurance, it is a mutual association of the owners.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But all of the repairs from the falling crane do not require a drydock, only a wet berth with cranage available.

But that still leaves the propulsion issue that the ship was in there in the first place. Like I say it will be interesting to see what other damage there is that we can't see. I would have to assume that the weight of a big crane smashing down on the aqua theater deck may have done damage to the deck (decks) below....but I'm not a ship builder.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1