Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

2 hours ago, CruiseTeacher7 said:

This is really unfortunate.  My thoughts and prayers are lifted up for anyone killed or injured.

A friend of mine sailed on the Oasis two weeks ago.  They had a great cruise but apparently there was a Norovirus outbreak and one of the engines went down.  This is why it went to dry dock.  

This repair had been scheduled for quite sometime, so it is not due to any engine going down.

In fact we were on the Oasis three weeks ago and she was sailing just fine.

2 hours ago, jdg623 said:

While the recent Noro outbreak did happen, that's not why she was in dry dock - that was due to a mechanical problem from months back, which is why they cancelled the March 31 sailing (there was a big thread about this).  We are supposed to be boarding her on Sunday - not looking good 😖  Glad no one seems to have been seriously injured in this incident.

Sixteen of our friends are supposed to board Sunday too!  I sure hope they get everything fixed!!

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Boarding this Sunday does not look likely. Where were you supposed to be sailing? The articles say something about the transatlantic to Europe? 

There are several more sailings scheduled out of Canaveral in April before it heads to Europe.

sorry, Hallux - that's not the one we saw.  Thanks for posting though.  The one we saw showed how they created the "hole" and the engineers working inside (if . remember correctly).  Funny, my wife remembered the same thing.... 

I found it - this is the one we saw....

Quite interesting. 

Edited by billyboy41
  • Like 1

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this accident. Also much hope for those who were planning on going this weekend. We cruisers know how much we all look forward and count down the days  until sail away. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, billyboy41 said:

if I remember correctly, Allure went into "wet dock" shortly after initial launch to fix an issue with the "pods" sometime in early 2014.  There were a number of videos about the entire process, which was pretty cool on how they did it - creating a "hole in the water" to allow the engineers to complete the repair      I am looking to see if I can find the video and will post if I do.  Others, if you find it, please post.  

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Nick Weir has a video that used to run on one of the ship TV channels with a very good explanation.

I understand the concept, though have assumed the ship still needs to be lifted partially to accommodate the process.

Can the ship be lightened to float high enough for the cotterdams to clear the hull and be drained?

the coffer dam can be sunk BELOW the ship

and then lifted ... and pumped out

this is an advantage of a 'floating dock' vs a 'graving dock' .... both which facilitate a ship's 'dry dock'

wiki has pretty good explains of coffer dam in other applications .....

• Like 1

The way it is listing the cribbing under the ship must have failed. The boat is not out of the water but according to the video it is raised enough to get under the stern. There is no way those cranes were lifting the ship.

31 minutes ago, billyboy41 said:

here is a better link...

28 minutes ago, willde said:

I understand the concept, though have assumed the ship still needs to be lifted partially to accommodate the process.

Can the ship be lightened to float high enough for the cotterdams to clear the hull and be drained?

Thanks for the video, billyboy41; I was writing the message when you posted it.

It is evident from the video that the ship DID have to be lifted by the dock.

Based on today's scene videos, the dock apparently failed...

sigh .... I give up trying to explain with knowledge of the process ......

to install a cofferdam does NOT require raising the ship .....

the entire reason for doing it is to NOT require a dry dock . . . 

build a box around the problem .... SEAL the box.  Pump the water out of the box ...... FIX THE PROBLEM.  In 'smaller issues' that can be accessed from 'inside' once the box is in place this is not a big deal.  If you need access for the outside you just need a bigger box!!!!!!

Ships will carry appropriate boxes to 'coffer dam' certain 'thru the hull penetrations' ....... on smaller scale not a BIG deal.

for prior post .. build the sides of the coffer HIGHER than the normal waterline ..... problem solved

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, willde said:

Speculation only:

Floating drydock was partially lifting ship above waterline

Dock failed, broke, sank

ship stern is perched on the cotterdams shown in the Van Fleet twitter post

cranes on both sides of ship seem to be leaning toward it (picture below from video in prior post)

the "near" crane may not actually be leaning on the ship, and is tilting with the dock wall

The crane referenced in many of the headlines is not in the picture I posted earlier, it's this one:

image.thumb.png.37a255a101659091ee5ec38d3fb0534d.png

Edited by willde
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glituner32 said:

they should of sent the ship to Europe for the dry-dock since its doing summer sailing there instead of saving a few $$ and doing the dry-dock in freeport

The time in Freeport is to make her sea worthy for the crossing. 😉

Drydock will be in Spain this fall

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, willde said:

So the crane all the headlines reference is not in the picture I posted, it's this one:

image.thumb.png.37a255a101659091ee5ec38d3fb0534d.png

Wow.  That won't impact the ability to actually sail, but does cause repair issues.  I'm sure we'll know more tomorrow.  Definitely a view we haven't seen.

• Like 1

exactly what I mentioned how many posts ago????

WWII vintage floating dock fails while in 'lift mode'

break the back of the floating dock and both sides lean in .... sides have cranes on then and the geometry makes their lean appear even more .... they may break off or tumble.  Saw this same type failure a few years ago .... been in a floating dock of this vintage .... you keep your fingers crossed.

Why not use a new one?  Good luck FINDING one! And if you do .... $$$$

case closed this unit . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

sigh .... I give up trying to explain with knowledge of the process ......

to install a cofferdam does NOT require raising the ship .....

the entire reason for doing it is to NOT require a dry dock . . . 

build a box around the problem .... SEAL the box.  Pump the water out of the box ...... FIX THE PROBLEM.  In 'smaller issues' that can be accessed from 'inside' once the box is in place this is not a big deal.  If you need access for the outside you just need a bigger box!!!!!!

Ships will carry appropriate boxes to 'coffer dam' certain 'thru the hull penetrations' ....... on smaller scale not a BIG deal.

for prior post .. build the sides of the coffer HIGHER than the normal waterline ..... problem solved

The video of Allure explaining the procedure says that the ship is raised enough to utilize cofferdams at the rear. No it is not raised out of the water but enough so the top of the cofferdams are above the surface. The ones they used are not sealed to the hull. I understand what you are saying and the concept but it appears in this case they do raise the ship enough to put the cofferdam in place without sealing to the hull. From viewing the rear of the ship normally I don't think that area of the hull is that far below the water line. The bottom of the azipod is far below the water line, thus the need for the cofferdam.

Edited by Robo1098
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

exactly what I mentioned how many posts ago????

WWII vintage floating dock fails while in 'lift mode'

case closed this unit . . . 

I've found a lot of people on here don't accept that someone might actually know something about something due to work experience, etc.  There are a few of you who know maritime issues but there's always some who won't accept it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

This repair had been scheduled for quite sometime, so it is not due to any engine going down.

In fact we were on the Oasis three weeks ago and she was sailing just fine.

I hadn't heard about the scheduled repair, but we just got off the Oasis yesterday and I agree that it was sailing fine. Maybe a little more rocking the last 2 days, but nothing out of the ordinary.