Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

12 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

It is in the liability law of doing business and not delivering what was contracted - you will have the obligation to provide the service using a substitute + a compensation which is set to 150% of the value eg the cruise fare... so the minimum payout is 100% + 150%....assuming the sub gets the same amount...

Yes but usually it is about purchasing a "total package" which they protect because you book everything through them AND if you had purchased cruise and airfare from Royal, they'd have covered both.  You may also be able to book a "total package" through the US and have all costs covered OR purchase your own insurance to cover all exposure.

To get the additional obligation of providing a replacement I expect your costs booking in another country are higher and more restrictive so it, as with everything else, comes down to choice as the consumer.  You can choose to be fully protected or you can choose to take risk and whatever choice, be prepared if it doesn't go your way!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gatour said:

YOU decided to book through a US TA, so YOU decided to follow the compensation rules that are applicable to that type of booking.  YOU decided to self-insure to save some money by booking through a US TA instead of booking through RCCL EU website/or EU TA, just to save you some money for this particular trip.

You can't have it both ways, if you want EU consumer protection laws, book in the EU at higher prices.  If you want to save money and forgo EU consumer protection laws, book in the US.  It looks like you prefer to take the latter option and in this case you lost your bet.

THIS!!!

6 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Your law approach was just silly.... if it is done right - it works! 👍

So you consider a law that drives prices so high that your citizens buy the same product through another country as "working"?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Yes but usually it is about purchasing a "total package" which they protect because you book everything through them AND if you had purchased cruise and airfare from Royal, they'd have covered both.  You may also be able to book a "total package" through the US and have all costs covered OR purchase your own insurance to cover all exposure.

To get the additional obligation of providing a replacement I expect your costs booking in another country are higher and more restrictive so it, as with everything else, comes down to choice as the consumer.  You can choose to be fully protected or you can choose to take risk and whatever choice, be prepared if it doesn't go your way!

Has nothing to do with a package... how you booked and where you booked the components is irrelevant.... 👍🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Has nothing to do with a package... has you booked the components is irrelevant.... 🙄

Then I expect you learned you should have booked in your country.  While we may not have the same protections here in the US, I prefer the flexibility of refunds and changing bookings and range of pricing available so I can best decide what costs I am willing to risk and what I want to insure.  I expect it keeps my overall pricing down but if pricing is comparable than I may find myself envious of your protections 🙂  

23 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Then I expect you learned you should have booked in your country.  While we may not have the same protections here in the US, I prefer the flexibility of refunds and changing bookings and range of pricing available so I can best decide what costs I am willing to risk and what I want to insure.  I expect it keeps my overall pricing down but if pricing is comparable than I may find myself envious of your protections 🙂  

For this cruise - > definitely!

It sure works for the airline business! 👍

Until now the cruise - business is way too much US centered at this point... let's hope that changes! 👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

For this cruise - > definitely!

It sure works for the airline business! 👍

Until now the cruise - business is way too much US centered at this point... let's hope that changes! 👍

Ironically most cruise ships are flagged under non-US countries due to the stricter rules but I expect our consumer rules for travel are more flexible so they can market more to what we're used to here.

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

Ironically most cruise ships are flagged under non-US countries due to the stricter rules but I expect our consumer rules for travel are more flexible so they can market more to what we're used to here.

Yes - that is the "problem" but it does have upsides too.... if the cruise - line is reliable... 👍

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Yes - that is the "problem" but it does have upsides too.... if the cruise - line is reliable... 👍

Curious - I expect you've seen the thread on the accident on Mariner where they are now suing for $10M in compensation.  Now there will still be trial and much fact finding I'm sure, but would that be treated similarly where you are or are there restrictions on what can be claimed/awarded?  That is one area I think has certainly gotten out of control here with bogus lawsuits (NOT at all to say the Mariner one is bogus!).

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

Curious - I expect you've seen the thread on the accident on Mariner where they are now suing for $10M in compensation.  Now there will still be trial and much fact finding I'm sure, but would that be treated similarly where you are or are there restrictions on what can be claimed/awarded?  That is one area I think has certainly gotten out of control here with bogus lawsuits (NOT at all to say the Mariner one is bogus!).

No our law are more medieval based... so financial things or breach of contracts are severely punished.... while getting hurt is just a nuisance...

Kings were not worried about getting hurt... (only drunk pleps were fighting) it was all about money! 🙄

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No our law are more medieval based... so financial things or breach of contracts are severely punished.... while getting hurt is just a nuisance...

Kings were not worried about getting hurt... (only drunk pleps were fighting) it was all about money! 🙄

Gotcha, I wish we had your laws for my %#*&^$# deck contractor who breached contract and abandoned the project though I can at least spread my opinion through multiple social media accounts and have some, though time consuming, avenues of other recourse.

Thank you, I expect the variation on laws of all kinds is somewhat a wash across the board.  Just like cost of living in my area - comparing 2 states and Wash. D.C., one you pay more in property taxes, one more in employment taxes, one more in auto/property insurances, sales tax, etc, so if you do a full analysis they all come within dollars of each other!

17 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Gotcha, I wish we had your laws for my %#*&^$# deck contractor who breached contract and abandoned the project though I can at least spread my opinion through multiple social media accounts and have some, though time consuming, avenues of other recourse.

Thank you, I expect the variation on laws of all kinds is somewhat a wash across the board.  Just like cost of living in my area - comparing 2 states and Wash. D.C., one you pay more in property taxes, one more in employment taxes, one more in auto/property insurances, sales tax, etc, so if you do a full analysis they all come within dollars of each other!

Totally agree.... but Europe has done some great steps to do the right thing.....so these days we advance in a fast and good way! 👍 💞

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Totally agree.... but Europe has done some great steps to do the right thing.....so these days we advance in a fast and good way! 👍 💞

So why didn't you book your cruise in the EU for the superior consumer protections?

Again I state that YOU decided to book your cruise through a US TA with different consumer protections, just to save money.

But you continue to state how the EU rules are are so much better than the US rules are.  If you hate the US rules so much STOP booking through a US TA and stop complaining about the compensation rules if you do so.

Grab a set of **** and make a choice.  Money vs Protection.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I guess I annoy the fan-club... 🙄

LOL

I guess some people forget that this is CruiseCRITIC.com , not CruiseHeapGloriousPraiseOnMyFavoriteShip.com. Nothing wrong with pointing out areas that can be improved upon.

Having said that, Maybe throw out a postive RCI post once in a while and you MAY have less of a #backlash from SOME of the faithful cheerleaders. Key words are MAY and SOME. 😉. You do seem to have a past history that I'm not privy too.😲

In this particular case, it does seem like you took a gamble and lost.

My questions to anyone: If I book thru a EU website, am I afforded the same protections as a EU customer, albeit at a higher price?  Can I even book using a outside the US TA? It has never occurred to me to try.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

LOL

I guess some people forget that this is CruiseCRITIC.com , not CruiseHeapGloriousPraiseOnMyFavoriteShip.com. Nothing wrong with pointing out areas that can be improved upon.

Having said that, Maybe throw out a postive RCI post once in a while and you MAY have less of a #backlash from SOME of the faithful cheerleaders. Key words are MAY and SOME. 😉. You do seem to have a past history that I'm not privy too.😲

In this particular case, it does seem like you took a gamble and lost.

My questions to anyone: If I book thru a EU website, am I afforded the same protections as a EU customer, albeit at a higher price?  Can I even book using a outside the US TA? It has never occurred to me to try.

Thor has way to much baggage 😇

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Only if you have a EU residence too... else it would not help...

9 hours ago, gatour said:

So why didn't you book your cruise in the EU for the superior consumer protections?

Again I state that YOU decided to book your cruise through a US TA with different consumer protections, just to save money.

But you continue to state how the EU rules are are so much better than the US rules are.  If you hate the US rules so much STOP booking through a US TA and stop complaining about the compensation rules if you do so.

Grab a set of **** and make a choice.  Money vs Protection.

I am discussing generally speaking... not about ME, ME, ME... pointing out the fails and differences...and the room for improvement!

But not speaking about oneself all the time - seems to be a concept unknown to some cultures... 🙄