Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:
10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Based on your dilemma,  apparently not.

You are wrong AND miss the point.... 🙄

The history of regulations in the USA is a bit complicated:

Too little regulations = the ruling class is going to take advantage of everyone.

Too much regulation = the ruling class is going to control everyone.

And unlike Goldilocks, we have yet to find the balance or the soup, the stool or bed that is jussssst right. 😄

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

The history of regulations in the USA is a bit complicated:

Too little regulations = the ruling class is going to take advantage of everyone.

Too much regulation = the ruling class is going to control everyone.

And unlike Goldilocks, we have yet to find the balance or the soup, the stool or bed that is jussssst right. 😄

I am very well aware of that.... but you are not even trying to change that... instead you are trying to go back to the pony express 🙄😱

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Only if you have a EU residence too... else it would not help...

Thorben you could move to England in the near future.  Wait, I think they have high cost government protected sailings as well. 🤔

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thorben you could move to England in the near future.  Wait, I think they have high cost government protected sailings as well. 🤔

He should sail Mein Schiit🤣

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

One condition of the FCC has presented a challenge of sorts.  My TA applied as much of the FCC as she could to an October booking resulting in having to just pay taxes and fees for that cruise leaving a few hundred left over FCC.  

She tried to apply that residual FCC to another booking but was informed the first cruise that the FCC was used for has to be completed before the residual FCC will be created in the form of a new FCC.  They were not able to articulate if the expiration date of the 2nd FCC would be one year from November 2019 when the FCC cruise is completed or if the original date of the 1st FCC would apply, April 21st, 2020.  If the latter it doesn't leave a lot of time to use the 2nd FCC.

Consequently I had her move the FCC to my next cruise in a month so that the residual FCC will become available next month when that cruise completes.  I am expecting a sizable credit card refund since my May cruise was paid in full.     

On 4/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, gatour said:

YOU decided to book through a US TA, so YOU decided to follow the compensation rules that are applicable to that type of booking.  YOU decided to self-insure to save some money by booking through a US TA instead of booking through RCCL EU website/or EU TA, just to save you some money for this particular trip.

You can't have it both ways, if you want EU consumer protection laws, book in the EU at higher prices.  If you want to save money and forgo EU consumer protection laws, book in the US.  It looks like you prefer to take the latter option and in this case you lost your bet.

If you really want to get even with RCCL, switch cruise lines.  That'll fix them and they will really be sorry for what they did to you.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

One condition of the FCC has presented a challenge of sorts.  My TA applied as much of the FCC as she could to an October booking resulting in having to just pay taxes and fees for that cruise leaving a few hundred left over FCC.  

She tried to apply that residual FCC to another booking but was informed the first cruise that the FCC was used for has to be completed before the residual FCC will be created in the form of a new FCC.  They were not able to articulate if the expiration date of the 2nd FCC would be one year from November 2019 when the FCC cruise is completed or if the original date of the 1st FCC would apply, April 21st, 2020.  If the latter it doesn't leave a lot of time to use the 2nd FCC.

Consequently I had her move the FCC to my next cruise in a month so that the residual FCC will become available next month when that cruise completes.  I am expecting a sizable credit card refund since my May cruise was paid in full.     

Got the same info - but have enough cruises booked between now and April 2020👍

The  more exciting part is - will we get any points for the first cruise the FCC was used on🤔

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

My head is spinning...

😩

• Haha 1

We have got our refund and have used the FCC to book the Oasis again in July, might be tempting fate but we really wanted to do an Oasis class, we also had our Explorer cruise refunded as we only booked it to get us back from Barcelona to the UK (Thanks RCI) 🙂 

The hotel and transfer we booked in Florida has also given us a full refund which was a nice surprise (thanks Goportcanaveral.com will definately book through you again) 🙂

No such luck with the hotel in Barcelona though  😞 

Now comes the big issue, although RCI are offering to pay for the change charges we are now travelling to Barcelona instead of Florida and the air company we booked does not go to Barcelona so we cannot change flights, having read bits in previous replies about EU regulations but not understanding it do we have a claim against RCI?

We are UK citizen's and booked through the RC.co.uk website. The $400 offered for international flights would actually cover the cost of our original tickets (we got a good deal)

Alas we did not yet have travel insurance as we normally get a year's cover shortly before we go so that it covers us for other trips we may take.

Some of the people on the Oasis TA thought they were lucky to be able to substitute a 12 day NCL TA on the Getaway scheduled to leave on 4/27/19.  NCL turned it into a 10 day, eliminating 2 of the 4 ports.  The change was sent out in Emails on Good Friday afternoon, 4/19/19, with no explanation.  Needless to say there is quite the long thread over on NCL, and most of it is very negative.  It all reinforces the idea that one should not book the last cruise before a Dry Dock nor the first cruise after dry dock.  

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Some of the people on the Oasis TA thought they were lucky to be able to substitute a 12 day NCL TA on the Getaway scheduled to leave on 4/27/19.  NCL turned it into a 10 day, eliminating 2 of the 4 ports.  The change was sent out in Emails on Good Friday afternoon, 4/19/19, with no explanation.  Needless to say there is quite the long thread over on NCL, and most of it is very negative.  It all reinforces the idea that one should not book the last cruise before a Dry Dock nor the first cruise after dry dock.  

US consumer - protection sux! 👎

On 4/17/2019 at 1:38 PM, Rogerandsue said:

We are UK citizen's and booked through the RC.co.uk website. The $400 offered for international flights would actually cover the cost of our original tickets (we got a good deal)

They will give you the $400 if you explain that to RCI... 👍

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

It all reinforces the idea that one should not book the last cruise before a Dry Dock nor the first cruise after dry dock.  

I’m not sure you need to avoid booking these cruises but like booking the Caribbean in hurricane season you need to understand there is an increased chance of changes or cancellations.   If it happens you knew that when booking. 

6 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

US consumer - protection sux! 👎

So stop booking cruises through US travel agents.  You can't have it both ways.  You either can have cheaper prices with fewer consumer protections using US travel agents or pay higher prices with better consumer protection using Euro TA's.  You seem to want both.  Lower prices with Euro consumer protections.  World does not work that way.

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

So stop booking cruises through US travel agents.  You can't have it both ways.  You either can have cheaper prices with fewer consumer protections using US travel agents or pay higher prices with better consumer protection using Euro TA's.  You seem to want both.  Lower prices with Euro consumer protections.  World does not work that way.

Just stating facts... 👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik