Inspiration elevator, stuck passengers, kicked off ship

On 4/6/2019 at 9:14 AM, jbethel11 said:

I have been stuck on an elevator on the NCL Breakaway in Nassau! Causes my family to miss our excursion! It kind of was a little funny as the other passengers stuck with us made a joke of it, but to them, this punishment seems a bit too harsh!

Obviously, there is more to the story. 

It has been reported that a Carnival worker was also recording what was happening. I wasn't there so I cannot judge who was "wronged ".  I would like to believe that Carnival wouldn't take banning a passenger lightly.  In any case, being stuck in an elevator is part if my nightmares.

At the end of the day, the guests were unruly, and when your car is stuck or being towed, do you push the towtruck driver out of the way and do it yourselves? The guests here did and caused a scene and also major damage to the elevator full stop, they were wring and deserve to be banned. The guests went into business for themselves and exercised very poor thinking.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 3:28 PM, fdwt994 said:

Being stuck in an elevator is not an emergency.  It's an inconvenience.  If someone starts having chest pains, etc, that's different but I question the validity that someone "fainted."  Did the "fainted" guy go to the ship Doctor afterwards?  Did anyone?   

Prying the doors open without any knowledge of how elevators work, how dangerous it can be (remember the worker who was crushed to death on a Carnival ship back in 2015?) is a recipe for disaster.  

Let the experts do their work, be grownups, and wait it out.  They probably would've been comped something for their ordeal but instead, because they thought they knew better, they are now banned for life.  When it comes to safety, there should be NO compromise.  If the passengers refuse to listen to the engineers, then they should expect that they will be talked to in not so nice words.      

And NO, I'm not a "Carnival Cheerleader."  I just understand how elevators work and how dangerous they can be.  

I agree and what these people where doing was incredibly stupid to say the least. When an elevator stops working call for assistance and wait for help which on a cruise ship is only minutes. Each ship has some very highly trained elevator mechanics which will deal with any problem that arrives.

When you try to open the door you are endangering both yourself and the mechanic trying to help you. the inside door opens the outside door when the car is properly leveled with the deck. If you are above or below by a small margin of error than you would have to release the outside door manually (assuming you know how to do so). What would happen if the ship had some motion which caused the car to move. I'll promise it would not be a good thing.

These people made a small problem into a large one and I agree with Carnival that I wouldn't want them on my ship either. 

I've never been on a Carnival ship but I've owned elevators for many year. ONLY a properly trained mechanic should ever deal with a elevator problem .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Their behavior was not unprofessional.  They were recording as directed by their Supervisor who was present along with Ship Officers.  Ships are not democracies and they are not interested in guest's "tolerates". 

3 crew recording on my last count re-watching the video. Blonde standing in back, Indian guy in blue coveralls and another Indian guy wearing while shirt and white pants. Where do you get that they are recording for “supervisors” and not for their own amusement. I did not get that impression at all. 

4 minutes ago, bdever said:

3 crew recording on my last count re-watching the video. Blonde standing in back, Indian guy in blue coveralls and another Indian guy wearing while shirt and white pants. Where do you get that they are recording for “supervisors” and not for their own amusement. I did not get that impression at all. 

I don't know the circumstances of the recordings.  What comes to my mind, though, is if a passenger grabbed a wrench out of maintenance worker's hand, they may have been recording to cover their hineys.  Not saying that's fact, just what my guess is.

I am an Autistic senior citizen, and, like most Autistic people I have extreme anxiety issues. I was stuck in an elevator with 3 other Autistic people, and one neurotypical [not Autistic] at a conference in Denver. We were in there for 10 minutes at the most. 1 of the other Autistic people and myself had immediate meltdowns. My meltdowns are more 'inner" based, so I slid to a corner on the floor absolutely terrified. Somebody said something, that my brain perceived as "fire". That is when I started crying and saying "OMG, we are going to die!" and "is that the cable snapping?!?" One of the guys who has more "outer" meltdowns started screaming loudly and angrily for help. And tried to open the elevator. Our 2 meltdowns triggerred one of the other Autistic people and the "normal" guy. So that is when there were 3 trying to open the door. It took fOREVER for staff to show up [maybe a minute] and even after the guys were told not to touch the door, it took a minute or so for it to register. And the only reason we finally calmed down is because the people outside of the elevator seemed to know what they were doing, and there was one person with an extrememly soothing voice calming everyone down. I do not know if there were damages to the elevator from the guys trying to pry it open or not.

After we were out, the Sheraton staff was very kind, giving us water, offering a drink[ I think they meant alcoholic beverage] and told us that our dinner would be comped [dinner was already included as part of the conference, but that was nice of them] They had already looked for and found one of the organizers of the event [also Autistic] because they assumed, correctly, that another Autistic person would more know our needs.

We were not thrown out or in any way mistreated, despite the fact that we caused a "scene' and possibly caused damage. 

So, I know that extreme anxiety is not exclusive to Autistic people. It was just 2 people [me as 1 of them] to turn everything into utter chaos. It could have been a neurotypical with anxiety who triggered everything. 

I do not know what happened on the cruise with the stuck elevators. I know that since there is a pending lawsuit, that Carnival is in a position where they can not give supporting information for their actions. I can only surmise exactly what happened, but I suspect that Carnival errored here.

39 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

I am an Autistic senior citizen, and, like most Autistic people I have extreme anxiety issues. I was stuck in an elevator with 3 other Autistic people, and one neurotypical [not Autistic] at a conference in Denver. We were in there for 10 minutes at the most. 1 of the other Autistic people and myself had immediate meltdowns. My meltdowns are more 'inner" based, so I slid to a corner on the floor absolutely terrified. Somebody said something, that my brain perceived as "fire". That is when I started crying and saying "OMG, we are going to die!" and "is that the cable snapping?!?" One of the guys who has more "outer" meltdowns started screaming loudly and angrily for help. And tried to open the elevator. Our 2 meltdowns triggerred one of the other Autistic people and the "normal" guy. So that is when there were 3 trying to open the door. It took fOREVER for staff to show up [maybe a minute] and even after the guys were told not to touch the door, it took a minute or so for it to register. And the only reason we finally calmed down is because the people outside of the elevator seemed to know what they were doing, and there was one person with an extrememly soothing voice calming everyone down. I do not know if there were damages to the elevator from the guys trying to pry it open or not.

After we were out, the Sheraton staff was very kind, giving us water, offering a drink[ I think they meant alcoholic beverage] and told us that our dinner would be comped [dinner was already included as part of the conference, but that was nice of them] They had already looked for and found one of the organizers of the event [also Autistic] because they assumed, correctly, that another Autistic person would more know our needs.

We were not thrown out or in any way mistreated, despite the fact that we caused a "scene' and possibly caused damage. 

So, I know that extreme anxiety is not exclusive to Autistic people. It was just 2 people [me as 1 of them] to turn everything into utter chaos. It could have been a neurotypical with anxiety who triggered everything. 

I do not know what happened on the cruise with the stuck elevators. I know that since there is a pending lawsuit, that Carnival is in a position where they can not give supporting information for their actions. I can only surmise exactly what happened, but I suspect that Carnival errored here.

These guys were roaring drunk.  

1 hour ago, keywest1 said:

I don't know the circumstances of the recordings.  What comes to my mind, though, is if a passenger grabbed a wrench out of maintenance worker's hand, they may have been recording to cover their hineys.  Not saying that's fact, just what my guess is.

There was a horrible elevator accident on a Carnival cruise ship where a crew member died.  These drunks were sticking their hands between the doors, pulling.  If the elevator moved or shut, there could have been hands on one side and a body on the other.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdever said:

The officers standing in white are in charge.  "Indian"?  You are making alot of assumptions.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

There was a horrible elevator accident on a Carnival cruise ship where a crew member died.  These drunks were sticking their hands between the doors, pulling.  If the elevator moved or shut, there could have been hands on one side and a body on the other.  

Exactly!!  I don't for a minute think that the crew were recording just to make fun of the guys in the elevator.

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

These guys were roaring drunk.  

With a Cheers package , there is a maximum of 15 alcoholic drinks a day. I KNOW that they could have drank less, but it is common for many people to make sure they get every drink they are entitled to. Being drunk does not necesarily exclude an individual from fear, hysteria, anger, or bad judgement. I would suspect that sometimes it actually excaserbate these conditions.

I am not attacking Carnival. I love the line. That does not preclude them from being capable of errors and poor judgement. I realize that there almost has to be more to the story. I would not be surprised if I were to find out that there may have been racist language and/or threats of bodily harm. In that case the actions of Carnival might be appropriate, Except, it is difficult to believe that every single person on the elevator was saying these types of things and that the crew had proof that each and every one of the people on the elevator was involved to a great degree[ I understand "herd mentality" is common to certain neurologies and  could have contributed to the actions of the people on the elevator and those with decision making power.]  

And, As I already mentioned, fear and hysteria tend to be "contagious."

4 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Just hand be a beer between the crack and I'll be fine.. 😉

Me too!  At least I'd be fine for awhile.  Then they might need to slip me a porta-potty though the crack too.

• Like 1

Based on this thread, Facebook and Google: A bunch (seems to be 4-5) of about 20 something year old guys get drunk at the pool. They get in the elevator. They are jumping which causes the car to become disabled. They summon help. While repeatedly being told to do nothing, they continue to talk over the crew and point out they could "probably open the doors". One of the guys passes out (they use the term fainted..I call B.S.).

I also hear the crew member say out in 4 or 5 minutes NOT 45 minutes (he has a heavy accent). I honestly don't see what the big deal is about them being banned. If what I pieced together from the articles/videos is correct, they got what they deserved.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So it is harsh for them to be banned but your recommendation is even if true you think they should find another cruise line. Seems slightly one sided.....

Sorry, Jim.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean in this post  and the win-win post now that I reread them.  

If they were banned just for filming the incident, then I think it's harsh.  If they were banned for acting up and disregarding instruction and jumping in the elevator, then I don't have a problem with them being banned.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

The officers standing in white are in charge.  "Indian"?  You are making alot of assumptions.  

Yep, I knew you were going to say that so I’ll rephrase it to two Indian, Pakistani, non-descriptive olive complexion, no need to offend anyone, looking males.” No assumptions here, I just watched the video more than once btw.

5 minutes ago, 3redheads said:

Sorry, Jim.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean in this post  and the win-win post now that I reread them.  

If they were banned just for filming the incident, then I think it's harsh.  If they were banned for acting up and disregarding instruction and jumping in the elevator, then I don't have a problem with them being banned.  

They were banned for extensive damage they did to the elevator while inside it..  There are cameras inside the elevators.  One of the guys in the elevator (by his own account posting on Carnival's FB, said he took a wrench from crew so he could fix it himself and didn't think that was a problem.