Inspiration elevator, stuck passengers, kicked off ship

Anyone read about this yet? I searched and did not find any other posts. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6891277/Passengers-got-stuck-Carnival-Cruise-ship-elevator-hour-banned-future-travel.html

If I could surmise what happened, the six guys tried to pry open the doors. Not sure why the staff did not tell them to stand back and NOT touch the doors.

Being banned seemed kinda heavy handed. I never been stuck in an elevator so I cannot imagine what that would be like.

We take the Inspiration about three times a year and never have had any issues. We're on her in June and taking some first time cruisers.

Any first hand accounts, rumor mill stuff etc etc?

Ridiculous for passengers to try to pry the doors open when maintenance crew is working on the issue.  They could have been jeopardizing the safety of the crew as well as their own safety.  If no one had responded to try to get them out, then I could understand them trying to get out by themselves.  From the article, it doesn't seem like that was the case. 

• Like 3

Why would they care if they got banned? If they were really that upset why would they ever cruise with Carnival again? I mean people say they won't cruise on Carnival again because of all kind of reasons, no tablecloths, having to wait on line to check in, no more free pens, etc, being stuck in an elevator for a length of time is more upsetting to me than any of those other reasons. I am so claustrophobic, I try to avoid the elevators on cruises at all costs.

• Like 3

Being stuck in an elevator is not an emergency.  It's an inconvenience.  If someone starts having chest pains, etc, that's different but I question the validity that someone "fainted."  Did the "fainted" guy go to the ship Doctor afterwards?  Did anyone?   

Prying the doors open without any knowledge of how elevators work, how dangerous it can be (remember the worker who was crushed to death on a Carnival ship back in 2015?) is a recipe for disaster.  

Let the experts do their work, be grownups, and wait it out.  They probably would've been comped something for their ordeal but instead, because they thought they knew better, they are now banned for life.  When it comes to safety, there should be NO compromise.  If the passengers refuse to listen to the engineers, then they should expect that they will be talked to in not so nice words.      

And NO, I'm not a "Carnival Cheerleader."  I just understand how elevators work and how dangerous they can be.  

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, fdwt994 said:

Let the experts do their work, be grownups, and wait it out.  They probably would've been comped something for their ordeal but instead, because they thought they knew better, they are now banned for life.  When it comes to safety, there should be NO compromise.  If the passengers refuse to listen to the engineers, then they should expect that they will be talked to in not so nice words.      

Agreed.

• Like 1

I was in plant maintenance the last 20 years that I worked.we had an elevator that acted up quite frequently the last 2 years I worked there.ive been stuck in it twice.not a terrible experience but not the most pleasant either.you don't want to pry the doors open especially if your between floors.best thing is too relax and let maintenance do their thing.the elevator companies have everything covered.its not like in the movies where the cable is going to snap.if it does do like the cartoons and jump up before you hit bottom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have had an unpleasant experience of being trap in an elevator.  There was only 3 of us in elevator. The phone did not work.  After about 5 minutes of yelling for help, we got a response from a maintenance guy who was very clear; do NOT pry to doors open. So we did not.  About thirty minutes later we were safely released from our entrapment.  I ask the elevator guy why we should not have pried the door open and crawl out.  He said that the movement and prying the door open could make the car shift.  He said think what would happen if the car shifted after someone was half way out.

I think these people reacted poorly!

• Like 1

The problem here is, from where all of us stand, we'll never know the full truth. The guys are going to say things and share video clips that support their story. Carnival is only going to release info. that supports their claims that their property was damaged by passengers. If that's true, then the guys definitely deserve to be banned. But if they didn't cause the elevator to get stuck and if the damage to the door was from trying to escape if no one knew they were there for a long time, then I'd say Carnival isn't treating them fairly. But that's a lot of "if's." There's no telling how it all went down.

It's hard to believe things on social media these days. So many people, who are actually the instigators, will gladly portray themselves as the victims. With that said, if these guys were truly stuck in there for an hour without anyone coming to help them, I would've tried to get out myself, too. Especially if someone inside was experiencing some sort of medical episode, like fainting or worse. Someone in this thread "questions the validity" of the person fainting. People have fainted for lesser things. Those ship elevators can get hot just moving from one floor to another. Imagine being stuck in there for 30 minutes to an hour. It's reasonable to believe someone fainted. Did they really? We don't know, but it's certainly plausible. The big question is, how long were there stuck in there before someone, anyone, was alerted? Whether that be crew or another passenger. If it were me, I'd give it some time, but if I was stuck in there longer and no one knew it, I'd surely look for a way to get myself out.

I don't think it was right for crew members to be recording video. The only reason I'd see that to be necessary is if the guys inside were being a real problem and Carnival wanted to document their actions. If that were the case, it should be an officer recording it, not a couple guys in blue coveralls. And I do think it was right for the one crew member to tell them 5 more minutes wouldn't kill them. That may be true, but it was inconsiderate and unprofessional. People in that situation are going to be stressed, mad, scared, or maybe all of the above. They obviously freaked out a bit when they heard the loud bang, and rightfully so. Yeah, one of the guys cussed at the crew after the "5 minute" comment was made, but in that situation, I'd say a little cussing was justified.

In the end, we don't know the whole story and will more than likely never get it. Both sides want to paint themselves in the best light possible.

• Like 4

I've been stuck in an elevator by myself for over an hour. It's not a pleasant experience, especially if you are claustrophobic. However it's just dumb to try to pry the doors open while someone is working to get you out. I could see if they were not getting help but from the video you could hear them telling them that they were working on it. I think a ban might have been a bit harsh but we don't know all the circumstances either. 

19 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Anyone read about this yet? I searched and did not find any other posts. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6891277/Passengers-got-stuck-Carnival-Cruise-ship-elevator-hour-banned-future-travel.html

If I could surmise what happened, the six guys tried to pry open the doors. Not sure why the staff did not tell them to stand back and NOT touch the doors.

Being banned seemed kinda heavy handed. I never been stuck in an elevator so I cannot imagine what that would be like.

We take the Inspiration about three times a year and never have had any issues. We're on her in June and taking some first time cruisers.

Any first hand accounts, rumor mill stuff etc etc?

I have been stuck on an elevator on the NCL Breakaway in Nassau! Causes my family to miss our excursion! It kind of was a little funny as the other passengers stuck with us made a joke of it, but to them, this punishment seems a bit too harsh!

Glad I saw this thread and the UK article. There was a USA article on internet...explaining what happened on a "Carnival ship".....Never listed the ships name!!  Journalism today in our country is very poor

• Like 1

Banning the passengers seems harsh.  I would hope it wasn't in retaliation for them filming their experience.

The question is what happened when it wasn't being filmed?  We will never know.  I read the facebook post and people were recommending the passengers hire a lawyer.  If I felt I was being treated unfairly and poorly, I would find another cruise line to sail.  I do wonder if the ban would affect other lines owned by the same company.

Lesson to be learned is if they are actively working to fix the problem, don't try to pry the doors open.

I watched the passenger's video clip - the one that is 100% "his side of the story" - and thought he was a pot stirring, argumentative nimrod. The professionals are here, they're working to get you out safely. Pipe down and DON'T TOUCH anything. 

• Like 1

Let's see if I've got this right. Group of obnoxious (and probably at least slightly intoxicated) guys get stuck in an elevator, ignore the instructions provided by the crew that is trying to help them, verbally abuse said crew, and by their failure to follow the crew instructions cause thousands of dollars in damage to Carnival property. And, although this isn't shown in the videos, I'd be willing to bet as soon as they got out they went and caused a scene at guest services, probably being just as rude to those crewmembers as they were to the guys working on the elevator.

And yet anyone is surprised they got banned???

• Like 10

1 hour ago, indygirl76 said:

I watched the passenger's video clip - the one that is 100% "his side of the story" - and thought he was a pot stirring, argumentative nimrod. The professionals are here, they're working to get you out safely. Pipe down and DON'T TOUCH anything. 

Professionals???? Professionals don't mock passengers. If you watch the other video that I can't post here you will see the crew acting and saying mean things to the passengers. From what I have seen on all videos , I would say the passengers were wrong, but also some of the Carnival crew were wrong and should either be fired or get extra training in manners on how to treat people.

Edited by repo-cruiser
typo
  • Like 2

Hi

I think this is more clear when there is an understanding that on board the ship, if there is any emergency situation, passengers are required to take direction from the crew. This is part of what they are explaining when you do the muster drill at the beginning of the cruise. Granted, many people do not pay attention, or are often intoxicated.

It's quite clear that if one was in a similar situation and did not follow orders, that person would be considered a danger to themselves and all around them. This could have been a more critical situation and with poor judgment could well have caused injury. Any company allowing this to go "unpunished" according to their guidelines would be setting themselves up for severe scrutiny if a following incident were to occur and did not have a positive outcome.

Even though we are on vacation and trying to enjoy ourselves, everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions.

• Like 1