How Far From Dock To Vaparetto in Venice

cruisead

We will be visiting Venice on Riviera this summer and we’re wondering how far is it from the place where the ship docks to the vaparetto station. We want to take the Number 1 vaparetto to Piazza San Marco.  My DH uses a scooter now, instead of a wheelchair, so we have to be prepared. 

Thanks for all your information. 

8 hours ago, cruisead said:

We will be visiting Venice on Riviera this summer and we’re wondering how far is it from the place where the ship docks to the vaparetto station. We want to take the Number 1 vaparetto to Piazza San Marco.  My DH uses a scooter now, instead of a wheelchair, so we have to be prepared. 

Thanks for all your information. 

you can catch the Alilaguna to san marco from the cruise terminal, have a look on web

• Like 1

Depending on the time of day, the vaporettos can be wall-to-wall people with luggage adding to the crowding, making getting on and off incredibly frustrating.

Also, when we were in Venice last year, the People Mover was out of operation for several days in a row, including embarkation day.  There was a shuttle bus from Piazzale Roma to the port instead, but the schedule was not infrequent as there was only one bus making the round trip drive, and the bus was again wall to wall people and luggage.  That there was no one around to tell us exactly where to board the bus, and that we needed to still buy People Mover tickets to board bus added to the disorganization.  (I can’t remember if the bus had a ramp to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter.)

Frankly, I don’t remember if there are alternatives ... maybe someone else will chime in.  If a private water taxi is an option — and I realize they are very pricey — that is what we would likely do should we find ourselves cruising in/out of Venice again.

P.S.  I see someone posted about Alilaguna before I posted this ... definitely look into them.

Edited by h2so4
  • Like 1

Here is what you want to look for, direct route to St Marks, The picture of the ship was taken from the taxi dock. This is the Aliguna line that others mentioned. 

DSC09078.JPG

DSC09079.JPG

DSC09080.JPG

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

Wow.  Thank you all so much for this information.  I did check out the Alilaguna site but I didn’t see anything about accessibility.  It did say something about a floating dock, but nothing about whether a scooter would be able to use this transport.  Any ideas about that?  

Others are more knowledgable than I am about this question, but when we were there in May 2018 Riviera was docked a VERY LONG WALK from the entrance.  Then it was then a shortish walk to the peoplemover.  On the other end, not a long walk to the vaporetti. 

When we were coming back we discovered that if we could have gone direct to the ship we could have saved about 10-15 minutes of the walk, but they wouldn't let us do that.  We had to go down one long pathway, crossover and then do the same distance in the other direction to the gangway.

Now, when we were there the HAL ship was pretty close to the port entrance.  We were not. It took us at least 20 minutes to make to the peoplemover ...

Based on our experience, I would take advice about "how long it takes" with reservations.

Mura

Venice is one of our favorite destinations. Living on South Beach, South of Fifth, it is obvious that crowds of tourists don't bother us. For people with mobility issues, the structure of Venice poses problems.Bridges are everywhere. Access to water transit options vary. Some are easy, some not. My husband and I were booked at the Hotel Luna that is only accessible by water taxi at certain times. This was not one of them. A baggage handler with a relative in the transport business hailed the guy as he chugged by. My husband established a price, and we jumped down into the boat with our luggage. Sitting on cases of soda, we sailed up to a restaurant on the water. When we arrived, we pulled up next to a fence behind which were empty tables. Tying up the boat to the fence, the driver piled up soda cases in  step like configurations. He stood on one and told me to go up the other.At the top, I grabbed the fence and climbed over. My legged landed on the floor. Next, my husband did the same. The fellow handed up our luggage, and gave us two sodas. After a flurry of thanks and goodbyes, we left and looked for the Luna. Outside of the restaurant and around the corner, there it was, and very nice too. We left the Luna via water taxi. Much easier but not as much fun.

Mary

• Like 3

We will disembark Riviera in Venice on Saturday morning May 25, then take a taxi to Mestre train station for a two hour trip to Florence.

Thinking of booking train tickets now.  Looks like plenty of availability, but that could change?  What would earliest practical train departure time be?  Are taxis readily available near ship?  Will there be alot of passengers seeking a cab?

We want to get to Florence, check in hotel, and see a museum on Saturday.  We leave Florence on Tuesday and several are closed on Monday.  Uffizi closed Sunday and Monday.

Edited by Jeffxx
Detail

Guess I should have searched the CC boards first.  Advice is to prebook a taxi for a ride to Mestre train station from the ship.  I guess we can book a cab on Friday since the Riviera arrives on Thursday.

Edited by Jeffxx
Detail

Definitely book your tickets in advance.  When we travelled from Venice to Milan after disembarking a cruise on a Saturday in October five years ago, we ran into fellow cruisers who were headed to Florence but did not prebook so we’re preparing to spend five hours sitting with their luggage at the train station because the earlier trains (like ours) all were sold out.  

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Definitely book your tickets in advance.  When we travelled from Venice to Milan after disembarking a cruise on a Saturday in October five years ago, we ran into fellow cruisers who were headed to Florence but did not prebook so we’re preparing to spend five hours sitting with their luggage at the train station because the earlier trains (like ours) all were sold out.  

The prices are much better pre purchasing at least 48 hours in advance, in the case of intercity trains.

• Like 1

Take a look at this site:

https://www.sagetraveling.com/Venice-Accessibility

Also, take a look at tide charts for the time you are there.  Really high and low tides requires you to make more of an effort to board and disembark these Vaporetto stops.  The minor stops may require people having to assist you in such times, but in general you will be o.k.  However, it will be very crowded on the Vaporettos and the main thoroughfares - not quite rush hour in the Japanese metro, but rush hour almost anywhere else.  It is that crowded these days in Venice during high season and with the cruise ships in port.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeffxx said:

Thanks CintiPam and bones.  I played it safe and booked the 11:37am Trenitalia out of Mestre Station instead of 10:37am.  First class: $43/ea US with fees.

You have to be off the ship by 9 am at the latest so you will have a bit of a wait at Mestre but you will have a seat.  

Riviera is my husband’s favorite ship; enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CintiPam

On 4/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, Jeffxx said:

We want to get to Florence, check in hotel, and see a museum on Saturday.  We leave Florence on Tuesday and several are closed on Monday.  Uffizi closed Sunday and Monday.

Jeffxx, I just noticed the Florence part of your post from yesterday.  The Uffizi indeed is closed on Mondays, but is open on Sundays. I just was there on Sunday, January 20, the first full day of a week we spent in Florence with a very special art group tour.  (Yes, there indeed are no crowds in Florence art museums in January but it is very chilly both outside and in churches you may visit!). Be sure to have your Florence hotel book your Uffizi tickets for you in advance.

Edited by CintiPam

CintiPam,

Uffizi is closed on the Sunday we're there, May 26, to commemerate the victims of a bomb attack.  So yeah, getting tickets ahead of time for Saturday is especially crucial since it'll be closed the next two days.

Edit.  Wait a minute.  I looked at the schedule again.  I think May 26 is a free day.  Seeing no tickets for that day, I thought it would be closed.  You just can't buy tickets.  I suppose the line will be long.

Edited by Jeffxx
Err

7 hours ago, Jeffxx said:

CintiPam,

Uffizi is closed on the Sunday we're there, May 26, to commemerate the victims of a bomb attack.  So yeah, getting tickets ahead of time for Saturday is especially crucial since it'll be closed the next two days.

Edit.  Wait a minute.  I looked at the schedule again.  I think May 26 is a free day.  Seeing no tickets for that day, I thought it would be closed.  You just can't buy tickets.  I suppose the line will be long.

Oh, no, free admission days are crazy.  Can you get there Saturday afternoon or Tuesday morning before you leave Florence?  It will be worth it!  

I highly recommend the Duomo Museum and Bargello (state sculpture) Museums to you as well.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I did a cruise on Marina in October that embarked in Venice.  Ship was docked Statione Marittima, close to Piazza Roma.  We stayed at Marriott hotel in Piazza Roma.  We took land taxi from airport to hotel. No water taxi needed to reach the ship. Getting a taxi to the ship from the hotel was terrible.  You cannot get a official white taxi at the hotel. Hotel will get you a private limo for huge fare. We had to take ourselves with our luggage to the white taxi stand on the opposite side of the Piazza. From there we took taxi 20euros to ship. It is a very short ride. We would have taken the people mover if we didn’t have luggage. To get door to door transportation from hotel to ship, you have to use a private transport co. 45euros. A real ripoff.  The joke was truly on us. On our way across the Piazza, we saw a bus stop that said shuttle. Stupidly, we kept walking. That shuttle bus was from Marina travel to the Piazza...and it was free.  We later met people who took the shuttle with luggage to the ship. 

On 4/8/2019 at 12:21 PM, cruisead said:

Wow.  Thank you all so much for this information.  I did check out the Alilaguna site but I didn’t see anything about accessibility.  It did say something about a floating dock, but nothing about whether a scooter would be able to use this transport.  Any ideas about that?  

Yes...I would say no....  most  boats are standing room only like a NY subway car...  much of  Venice  will not be scooter friendly.... please  do not count on the accessibility that you have in the USA..   I have   been to Venice a few times and  it is a mad house of crowds...  Lots of pushing and short tempers......  I would male a plan B

On 4/14/2019 at 1:23 PM, Jeffxx said:

We will disembark Riviera in Venice on Saturday morning May 25, then take a taxi to Mestre train station for a two hour trip to Florence.

Thinking of booking train tickets now.  Looks like plenty of availability, but that could change?  What would earliest practical train departure time be?  Are taxis readily available near ship?  Will there be alot of passengers seeking a cab?

Hello Jeffxx.  Have you joined the roll call for this sailing?  We too are taking a train from the Mestre.  Going to Milan and then to Switzerland.  Have already purchased train tickets.  Will reserve a land taxi Friday 24 May.  Look in on the roll call.  

Katie

Katie.  Just joined roll call.  

Flying from Seattle, we're arriving at Comfort Inn Bolivar in Rome on Monday, spend Tuesday in Rome (been there), take a taxi to cruise port on Wednesday morning.   After disembark in Venice, train to Florence for a couple days.

Jeff in WA State