currency

Going on a Baltic cruise do I need to bring currency of the different nations to use for bathroom breaks or can I use dollar bills? Also do the taxis in Copenhagen take American money? Thanks

6 minutes ago, sms714 said:

Going on a Baltic cruise do I need to bring currency of the different nations to use for bathroom breaks or can I use dollar bills? Also do the taxis in Copenhagen take American money? Thanks

In Russia the tour groups take US$. You do not need local currency in Russia. The other countries all use their own currencies including Euros in Finland and Germany and the different Krona in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Basically they do not accept US$. They all take credit and debit cards, even the taxis. When we went to the Baltic we got some local currency at the ATM to use for some local expenses. The canal ride in Copenhagen did accept US$.

5 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

If I rolled up at a bathroom (or anywhere else) in the United States waving a UK Sterling note, do you think it would be accepted?

Thought not.

I'd take it from you and give you dollars but my husband is a currency collector. My husband grew up in central NY and says that getting Canadian quarters was normal and places would accept them.

29 minutes ago, sms714 said:

We were on this cruise last year and found that a good credit card with no transaction fees worked for us--even at a Danish hot dog stand on the street.  We used cards for Danish Taxis.  I secured Danish Kroner (we were there for 5 days) and Euros before hand. ( I purchased about $450 total in currency and came back with 200 in Euros and 0 DKK) A lot depends on what your touring plans are.  If you have tours with a company either direct or through the ship you will need less cash, IMHO.  If you are doing HOHO buses and other DYI trips you may need more.  We had direct tours in each port--some included lunch and some did not.  Cards were accepted in all venues. The guides were able to assist with coins for the restrooms, if needed, or took us to locations with free facilities.  None  took USD but in Russia they did take Euros in some places.   It's good that you are doing research ahead of time as buying currency and reselling can be an unecessary expense.  Enjoy your trip.

24 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

I Don't get it why some US Citizens believe that every place should use their currency.

I have never seen any other countries believing that other countries will take their money.

However, there are many countries that DO take US currency, which is why people ask....................

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sms714 said:

Most places in the United States do not require money to use the bathroom facilities.  That is why I asked the question.

and we've been to one of those places ... believe it was on a Panama Canal cruise ... where the 'facility' only "ACCEPTED"  exact change - $ 1 - not a five, ten ... you get the point ...

and I saw a lady giving her husband 'extreme grief' for spending all their ones in the market ... I gave the dude a buck and laughed walking away ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DDG 41 said:

I Don't get it why some US Citizens believe that every place should use their currency.

I have never seen any other countries believing that other countries will take their money.

Many countries accept USD.

1 hour ago, bemis12 said:

However, there are many countries that DO take US currency, which is why people ask....................

Only if you are talking about the Caribbean and a handful of North and Central American countries.   We have been to over 100 countries and most do not accept (or want) US Dollars.   Some Americans still suffer from the "Ugly American syndrome" where they think that the world marches to the USA culture and dollars.  Yes, some of our culture has gone around the world such  as Jeans, McDonalds and KFC but other parts of our culture such as overtipping and insisting that everyone speak English is quietly resented by many. Try to spend US Dollars in places like France, Spain, Italy, Norway, etc.  will get you a strange look.  You might find somebody who will take your dollars...but likely give you an awful exchange rate.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most of the Baltic states are going cashless.

We went to buy an ice-cream in Copenhagen with cash (the local variety) and got a strange look. They pointed us to a cash machine that took the money and dispensed change. The staff didn't want to handle dirty cash. We were probably their only cash sale for the day.

We did have some Euros which were used for a toilet stop in Helsinki. Everywhere else we used the restrooms in the cafes we dined at.

I do think that your credit card has to be the chip and pin variety.

Australia went that way years ago but I understand that not all cards in USA are of the chip and pin variety so it is worth checking.

Any time you do use a credit card it is usually better to do the transaction in the local currency and let your card provided do the currency exchange. If you don't, you may get hit with an inflated exchange rate or two exchanges which can increase the fees considerably.

It is also worth telling your card provider that you will be traveling overseas. That way they won't block your card when they detect abnormal transactions.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 4:09 PM, Jezabel2924 said:

We were on this cruise last year and found that a good credit card with no transaction fees worked for us--even at a Danish hot dog stand on the street.  We used cards for Danish Taxis.  I secured Danish Kroner (we were there for 5 days) and Euros before hand. ( I purchased about $450 total in currency and came back with 200 in Euros and 0 DKK) A lot depends on what your touring plans are.  If you have tours with a company either direct or through the ship you will need less cash, IMHO.  If you are doing HOHO buses and other DYI trips you may need more.  We had direct tours in each port--some included lunch and some did not.  Cards were accepted in all venues. The guides were able to assist with coins for the restrooms, if needed, or took us to locations with free facilities.  None  took USD but in Russia they did take Euros in some places.   It's good that you are doing research ahead of time as buying currency and reselling can be an unecessary expense.  Enjoy your trip.

I have credit cards with chips but no pin numbers. Did you need a pin to use your credit cards?

4 hours ago, bostonphil said:

I have credit cards with chips but no pin numbers. Did you need a pin to use your credit cards?

We were not asked for a pin anywhere.  They would print out a receipt that we signed.

At the store i work at it will simply just ask for a signature and its not even a place where tourists go shopping. 🙂

But as noted in another thread.

If you need to buy 2 tickets or other things that costs the same you have to do it at once. 

The card will decline the purchase if the same amount is withdrawn twice. 

• Thanks 1