Buying Euros on board?

sun16

We haven't cruised to Europe before although we have cruised elsewhere many times.    Do you buy your Euros onboard for your shore spending?  We would bring some with us, but wondering if we needed extra, if buying onboard would be advised.  We are on the Koningsdam in May.   

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, sun16 said:

We haven't cruised to Europe before although we have cruised elsewhere many times.    Do you buy your Euros onboard for your shore spending?  We would bring some with us, but wondering if we needed extra, if buying onboard would be advised.  We are on the Koningsdam in May.   

Thanks!

I've been cruising in Europe twice a year for the past few years. Almost everything can be purchased with a credit card; just make sure that you have one that does not charge foreign transaction fees. For Euros, which are useful for street vendors, small items, etc., your best bet is to use an ATM to withdraw the money as the exchange rate will be better and you won't need to pay any transaction fees. An alternative is to check with your bank or local AAA to pick up a small amount of money, but note you'll pay a 10-20% charge in conversion costs.

• Like 2

Last time we bought Euros on board we paid about 1% or 2% more than the shore ATM exchange rate. Okay for a small amount when you don't want to go hunting for an ATM right off the ship in some ports.  You can exchange back unused Euro bills on the ship, again at a poor rate, but no coins. There is often a large jar on the front office desk where unwanted coins can be tossed, for charity.

Edited by catl331

Holland America sold euros at a 7% markup when I asked for a quote a few years ago

12 hours ago, jkrislc said:

An alternative is to check with your bank or local AAA to pick up a small amount of money, but note you'll pay a 10-20% charge in conversion costs.

If sun16, the OP, really lives in Ontario, I doubt that a Canadian bank would charge 10-20% for euros. US banks charge 5-6% and I believe Canadian banks charge less.

Euros were marked up 7% a few years ago on the Prinsendam, don't know if that is typical. I would use my ATM for additional euros, but would not argue with someone who paid 7% for the convenience. Are you willing to pay $107 for $100 worth of euros, for instance?

13 hours ago, sun16 said:

Thanks!

NO..... NO....    you will pay a premimum.     Use a debit card on an ATM on the shore    However ,carry a credit card  with no foreign currency conversion  fee .  Many do by Chase. ( Marriott and UAL)    and use that  every chance you get    Try to get the minimum hard currency as you know  once bills become coin, they can not be converted  and become expensive fishing weights..    I have pounds of guilders,yen,pounds, francs , zlotys, marks, lirs

For me   about 100-125 Euros for a 10 day period should be enough  unless you plan on some large budget purchase.   Because of the insurance you get try to get any purchase over $50 value  on a credit card...  play it safe...play it smart 

15 minutes ago, whogo said:

Holland America sold euros at a 7% markup when I asked for a quote a few years ago

If sun16, the OP, really lives in Ontario, I doubt that a Canadian bank would charge 10-20% for euros. US banks charge 5-6% and I believe Canadian banks charge less.

Euros were marked up 7% a few years ago on the Prinsendam, don't know if that is typical. I would use my ATM for additional euros, but would not argue with someone who paid 7% for the convenience. Are you willing to pay $107 for $100 worth of euros, for instance?

10 to 20%  is the total conversion fee you will pay.   First  when you convert your home currency into another    AND  Second, when you try and convert the foreign currency back into your home currency....    ALSO... dont forget  the % you loose on coins which can not  and will not be accepted for conversion  by anyone !!!!!   

img-thing.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, whogo said:

Are you willing to pay $107 for $100 worth of euros, for instance?

... considering that you would pay $105 at a shore ATM. 

20 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Second, when you try and convert the foreign currency back into your home currency....

So spend it all or save it for the next trip. Euros can be spent on some Caribbean islands too.

Edited by catl331

12 minutes ago, catl331 said:

... considering that you would pay $105 at a shore ATM. 

So spend it all or save it for the next trip. Euros can be spent on some Caribbean islands too.

Yes... however, no one outside the EU  is going to accept your change... and it adds up fast.  Vendors are quick to make change in coin and keep all the bills they can.             Yes some people take Euros in the Carribe  but most do it at a discount to their favor.  not yours..  You still end up eating $$$          Too, spending just to be spending seems not the best policy....  Oh look I have $80.00 on euros  left......Ill go spend it... That will save me  paying a conversion fee....   Wow... the more I spend the more I will save....right?

poor.jpg

13 hours ago, sun16 said:

Thanks!

sun16, DH and I have traveled extensively in Europe.  Definitely take at least one Debit card to access ATMs during your trip. (And make sure you let your bank know where and when you're traveling so no one thinks your card has been stolen.) ATM machines generally aren't hard to find (you'll see them at the airport when you land) and many many European banks have outside ones that are easily accessed. Expect to pay a small fee to use them. The wonderful thing about European ATMs is that you'll get an assortment of denominations (not all $20 like the US). We usually get about $200 at a time and use it in small cafes rather than trying to use a credit card. As Hawaiidan has mentioned, some credit cards don't charge a foreign transaction fee so those are great if you're planning to charge items. Any paper Euros you have at the end of your trip can be saved for another trip (you'll want to go back!)   We usually unload all the change in the airport buying snacks before we fly home.  On some flights leftover change is collected by flight attendants and given to a charity (Unicef comes to mind but I'm not certain of that.) Have a wonderful cruise!

30 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes some people take Euros in the Carribe  but most do it at a discount to their favor.  not yours..  You still end up eating $$$

I'm talking about Martinique, St Martin, Guadeloupe, and St Barthelemy that use the Euro as their official currency, just as in Europe. No exchange loss.

30 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Too, spending just to be spending seems not the best policy.... 

Spending money is not necessarily wasting money. You can buy things that you need or want anyway ... toiletries, wine, clothes, gifts for friends/relatives, etc, etc, etc   Buying them on land usually costs less than on the ship.

BTW  I save the 1 and 2 Euro coins, not just the bills.  Some helped pay for our taxi when we landed in Barcelona a couple of years ago.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

Exchanging your Euros at a local bank or bullion would be much better than buying onboard, due to the conversion rate that others have mentioned previously. Any unspent Euros can be kept for the next time you're travelling or given/exchanged with others who are travelling to Europe in the future. 

Another great alternative is to use a credit card without a foreign transaction rate. If you're making a large purchase, particularly at a larger business, it can be much better to use a card. If you plan to use ATMs, try to see which of your cards will offer the lowest withdrawal cost and withdraw higher denominations to cut down on these transaction fees. 

3 minutes ago, simplyrubies said:

Any unspent Euros can be kept ... or given/exchanged with others who are travelling to Europe in the future. 

We've done that too. And we've tipped stewards in Euro rather than $US.  They love them because they don't  have to pay an exchange fee to use on shore leave while the ship is in Europe.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jkrislc said:

I've been cruising in Europe twice a year for the past few years. Almost everything can be purchased with a credit card; just make sure that you have one that does not charge foreign transaction fees. For Euros, which are useful for street vendors, small items, etc., your best bet is to use an ATM to withdraw the money as the exchange rate will be better and you won't need to pay any transaction fees. An alternative is to check with your bank or local AAA to pick up a small amount of money, but note you'll pay a 10-20% charge in conversion costs.

The AAA is good to have the little bit of money you may need ie. airport ....use you Credit card that doesn't have a transaction.

16 hours ago, sun16 said:

Thanks!

I am in Europe four or five times a month with work, there is no need to "buy" Euros on board other than to have a little pocket cash as you walk off the ship (or get it before you leave the states at the airport.)  Once ashore, use your credit card (Your HAL Barclay Visa card is usable with no foreign transaction fee) and if you find you need more cash, head to the nearest BANK ATM, choose ENGLISH and follow the prompts.

WARNING:  BE SURE TO HAVE SOMEONE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YOU, ESPECIALLY IN THE MED!  IF SOMEONE WALKS UP AND STARTS TO TALK TO YOU BAT THEM AWAY!  ;O)  

Be sure to inform your bank that you'll be abroad before you leave the USA or CANADA to avoid any hiccups, and then go shopping, stop for a cafe au lait, buy that little painting of the Eiffel Tower you can' stop thinking about and enjoy the day!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That means a double conversion, CAD>USD, USD>EURO. I was wondering if the K'dam has a single CAD>EURO rate.

No, just convert from CAD to Euro.  If $100 US gets you 80 E on the ship, then to get that same 80 E with CAD it would be 120.65. Or 100 CAD gets you 66.30 E. 

Edited by catl331

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As OP is Canadian, do you have the CAD rate?

Oops. I am using my phone so location is not obvious. I will check out with front desk when taking our evening paseo (practising for Spain! 😉)

20 hours ago, myjillian said:

The AAA is good to have the little bit of money you may need ie. airport ....use you Credit card that doesn't have a transaction.

If you have a debit card... forget buying any currency from AAA or any other home source..   The  your Arrival and departure airport will have ATM's  which will charge you less.       You need not carry any cash till you get to where your going.     DO NOT use your credit card in an ATM.....it will be charged as a cash advance and you will pay fees and high interest.     Only use a debit card at an ATM to get the best rate. NEVER a credit card......

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1