CASH - how much do we need to bring?

dex08

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You are still better off at the ATM.

Biker, who would probably never use the place at IAD, nor any other airport exchange in the US.

Yes, thanks. I actually posted a new thread on this and have learned to just go to a non-travelex or money exchange-type ATM.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:21 AM, RW_MI said:

I have a spreadsheet with my packing list, and use a separate tab to estimate cash for each cruise. It also helps to estimate how many singles I want to bring for various smaller tips.  It can vary quite a bit from cruise to cruise.  

I list out each port and what I might need for excursions, food, taxis, etc.  For the ship I list room attendant, and room service tips (but I usually don't use room service).  I have lines for porters, taxis and airport food.  I'm not a big souvenir shopper, but of course list that too, especially if you might be buying from beach vendors.

A spreadsheet for your cash...oh my :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

A spreadsheet for your cash...oh my :classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

Yep, my personal preference, but I don't expect everyone to find value in it.  As a woman traveling solo, I prefer to bring as little cash as I can while still being confident I have plenty.  The amount I need varies by hundreds depending on shore excursions/activities.  So this works for me and only takes a couple minutes.

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

Yep, my personal preference, but I don't expect everyone to find value in it.  As a woman traveling solo, I prefer to bring as little cash as I can while still being confident I have plenty.  The amount I need varies by hundreds depending on shore excursions/activities.  So this works for me and only takes a couple minutes.

I do this when I travel for business, cabs per day, hotel staff, misc tips, food in halls. I need to bring lots of 1's and 5's and 10's for tips, short cab fares.

I usually bring 1500-2000. About 200 of that in small Bill's for tips. In Spain last fall I brought 1000 in Euros and 1000 in U.S. Currency. Unfortunately half the time our Credit Cards/Debit cards didn't work. Blame it on connection problems, whatever. One night cards worked fine in a grocery store or restaurant, the next night not. (We stayed in Barcelona 4 days before Cruise)

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 5:10 PM, RW_MI said:

My husband did that when we went to Africa for a few weeks. he tried to get me on board. I am a big picture gal. I make all the plans and a rough budget. Really rough.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:51 PM, grapau27 said:

For us in the UK we get €1.14 to the pound.

At the airport exchange it can be only €1 to £1 or less.

Also check to see if it is commission free.

Foreign ATMs often charge a fee which makes it expensive to exchange small denominations.

Good luck and hope you have a superb cruise.

Graham.

UK airports aren't too bad if you pre-order currency, but terrible rates if you just walk up.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, johnjen said:

We'll get Euros before departing the airport at the currency converter spot to cover things like taxis, bus, from BCN to our bnb, local shopping at La Rambla marketplace, etc. Generally however, we don't tip additional on board unless it's truly deserving.

It is better to get Euros from an ATM versus converting currency.

A MUCH better exchange rates.  Of course, best to use a bank card with no foreign transaction fees.

We just got a 12 night Carib cruise, and spent about $400 in cash overall.  Even in ports, most things, I paid with a credit card.

• Like 1