I buy NCL insurance. Am I crazy?

david_sobe

I checked my Sapphire benefits. I was reminded that we also have baggage delay, lost luggage as well as trip delay coverage. I don’t think I would expect to be covered if we simply change our minds between final payment and sail-away.  We could absorb any loss over $20,000 so the $95 annual fee is still a bargain. But, thanks for asking. 

11 hours ago, Bright1 said:

I have a Chase Sapphire credit card. If I pay for the entire cruise with my card, I have complete ‘cancel for any reason’ coverage. The $95 annual fee seems like a good investment. My medical coverage is up to date so I think we’re covered. 

Any thoughts?

I have this card, and didn't know I have trip insurance thru it.  Guess I should look into it for our next cruise. 

Just now, 01Sweetpea said:

I have this card, and didn't know I have trip insurance thru it.  Guess I should look into it for our next cruise. 

T

1 minute ago, 01Sweetpea said:

I agree. I was just on the website and clicked on Benefits. Check it out. 

16 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

Thanks so much, @graphicguy, that's super helpful -- have you received the Platinum goodies when booking directly with NCL? I usually go through NCL to avoid the middleman when calling for price adjustments (prior to final payment) or paid upgrades (post-final payment).

Yes.  That said, it seems my TA (an online Agency) is more prone to take care of all the AMEX OBC and goodies better than NCL has in the past.

I’ve had a PCC with NCL tell me I don’t qualify for AMEX perks, when in fact I knew for a fact I did.  It took me about 3-4 calls to finally get them to apply the AMEX perks to my booking.  And, I had to lead them by the hand to point them to the AMEX links outlining the perks.

That said, it could have been I had a poor PCC, too.  

Let me know if I can help further.

My wife and I buy it mainly because we have older parents in poor health. The rule of thumb is if someone dies before we leave we cancel, if someone dies while were are away (on a cruise or other trip) keep them on ice, they are not going anywhere

• Haha 1

I buy NCL  Platinum (the higher level) insurance every trip. Our health insurance does not

cover us out of the country so we buy it for that. Also with aging parents we need to

"cancel for any reason". One time I was the one sick and had to cancel and they

paid very promptly. Are there cheaper and possibly better plans out there? Possibly.

However it has worked for us in the past and we decided to stick with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Is travel insurance expensive in the US?

I can buy an individual annual policy for £35 ($46) for 50-65 year olds (my bracket), about double for a couples policy (supercheap for younger and obviously more expensive for over 65's).

I would not consider traveling without, especially as I travel a lot and also covers me for domestic travel, I never understand why these questions come up unless it is much more expensive in the US?

Come on now....insurance being more expensive in the US than GB....surly you jest !😂🤣😅

42 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I buy it mainly because we have older parents in poor health. The rule of thumb is if someone dies before we leave we cancel, if someone dies while were are away (on a cruise or other trip) keep them on ice, they are not going anywhere

You know once, my mother didn't want us to go on a cruise ( we always took her with us in the past but the Dr. told us "no more cruises" for her ) so I cancelled and we got our money back because the Dr wrote a letter for our insurance company .  I kid you not....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

I buy NCL  Platinum (the higher level) insurance every trip. Our health insurance does not

cover us out of the country so we buy it for that. Also with aging parents we need to

"cancel for any reason". One time I was the one sick and had to cancel and they

paid very promptly. Are there cheaper and possibly better plans out there? Possibly.

However it has worked for us in the past and we decided to stick with it.

Peachypoo, I think “regular” policies cover family member illness?  I have looked at that in the past and I know the ones I read did.  I’ll have to doublecheck my own coverage, I assumed (dumb) that it does-my Mom is 93 and was just ill, we almost had to cancel but thank goodness she recovered.

30 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Peachypoo, I think “regular” policies cover family member illness?  I have looked at that in the past and I know the ones I read did.  I’ll have to doublecheck my own coverage, I assumed (dumb) that it does-my Mom is 93 and was just ill, we almost had to cancel but thank goodness she recovered.

They probably do cover for illness. Right now we need coverage for other activities of daily living type issues.

Like if we can't find someone to cover for us for non illness type activities (driving, runs to the bank, etc.)

Glad your Mom recovered.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:21 PM, david_sobe said:

Now that the Haven is more expensive than ever, its wise to protect over $10k  I have struggled to pay off in 1.5 years.

I will point out that you put on your flame suit... So I'll just be blunt. 

This is easy. You can't afford the Haven by your own admission. So you can't afford the insurance either. 

Get a normal, much cheaper cabin that you won't struggle over 1.5 years to pay off. And skip the insurance. Travel cancelation insurance is only for people who are terrible at math. 

However, make sure your medical insurance covers international (it probably does) and consider an evac plan as you can buy one for your entire family for $70/year, unlimited trips. 

Edited by BNBR

12 hours ago, Bright1 said:

There are only 2 of us and take only 1 trip a year. We have excellent medical coverage and Medical Evacuation coverage. I think we need only Cancel for any Reason which is why I use Chase Sapphire. 

There is no credit card on the planet that has “cancel for any reason” coverage.  It’s absurd to even think a card would offer that. They’d lose money.

47 minutes ago, BNBR said:

This isn't the USA Platinum card. Just clarifying. I don't think the US one provides evac and medical. 

The US Platinum card (as well as black) covers all medical evacuation charges with no monetary limit as long as they arrange transport and as long as you have not been away for over 90 days and are at least 100 miles from home. There are no requirements that you have used the card to pay for any portion of the trip just that you must have an account in good standing. If you arrange evacuation on your own then the coverage does not apply. 

I believe you are correct with regards to the other medical coverage.

Check out Allianz. Reasonably priced and offers broad coverage. Not the cancel for any reason, but it’s otherwise quite comprehensive. We have a trip to Europe this summer and the policy is $147 for a $3,000 trip. Not a cruise, but the cost for the plan would still be the same if it were.

21 minutes ago, Brian35 said:

The US Platinum card (as well as black) covers all medical evacuation charges with no monetary limit as long as they arrange transport and as long as you have not been away for over 90 days and are at least 100 miles from home. There are no requirements that you have used the card to pay for any portion of the trip just that you must have an account in good standing. If you arrange evacuation on your own then the coverage does not apply. 

That's right. No pre existing coverage for evac, however. 

I personally use Good Sam Travel Assist. Get a lot more for super cheap.  Transportation home as well as RV return (we RV a few times a year.) 

Edited by BNBR

11 hours ago, Brian35 said:

This is the Platinum AMEX - all medevac, no monetary limits, no pre-stay in hospital?  e.g. if I get really sick and need medevac midway through a transatlantic, as long as it isn't something pre-existing I'm covered?  Please tell me more!

14 minutes ago, erdoran said:

This is the Platinum AMEX - all medevac, no monetary limits, no pre-stay in hospital?  e.g. if I get really sick and need medevac midway through a transatlantic, as long as it isn't something pre-existing I'm covered?  Please tell me more!

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/global-assist-terms.html

Select your specific card and you can review the terms for this benefit.  Read carefully.

As mentioned prior, I prefer GoodSam Travel Assist as you get more and it's super inexpensive.  For example, I'm pretty sure AMEX doesn't get you home.  They will only evac you to a more appropriate facility.   I don't think AMEX pays for your initial ambulance cost either. 

AMEX isn't comprehensive at all.  Good Sam will not just cover evac, they will also get you and your family home (pay for flights), pay for the ambulance, and if you are hospitalized more than 7 days, they'll even fly a family member out to you.

Since your health insurance probably won't pay directly, Good Sam will also guarantee payment to the provider and just needs a credit card from you to do so, unlimited amount.  AMEX is only $5,000.  This is an important benefit, actually.  Most American health insurance covers overseas medical expenses.  Review yours carefully for sure.  But you have to save the bills and submit them when you get back.  So having the benefit of your evac provider guaranteeing payment overseas is a big deal.

Basically, for the $59 annually, Travel Assist is well worth it compared to AMEX.  And I have an AMEX platinum, by the way.

Edited by BNBR

I don't have one, I have Chase & Citibank.  My Chase Sapphire Reserve gives me I think 100k for evacs.  I hate to get another card, but that kind of coverage may make me rethink.  Is there one you know of that has this benefit, so I don't have to dig thru all?

I recently checked into a few outside companies to see if my NCL coverage was worth it on our upcoming trip. From what I found, and this is specific to my travel plans, preferences and experiences, is that the NCL is not worth my money. I can have my flights, airbnb/hotel, and cruise coverage for similar price. The value is double what NCL is offering on delays, luggage and medical coverage. I am also covered for cancellations for work or economic hardship reasons, something my NCL policies have never had. 

Sources: AIG TravelGuard, Insuremytrip (Broker with several options) and AMEX travel

15 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

There is no credit card on the planet that has “cancel for any reason” coverage.  It’s absurd to even think a card would offer that. They’d lose money.

Ha ha.  I thought the same thing when I read that but didn't want to say anything

I did not intend to start a debate on travel insurance.  I wanted people to scold me or applaud me for taking NCL insurance.  I must say, I am very interested in the reasons people buy insurance.  I think just like with extended car warranties, people get purposely scared to take them out.  I always read about people afraid of being life flighted from ships. OMG that is the last thing on my mind and is the least possible thing to happen.  I take the insurance for the likely scenarios.  Dying on a cruise ship is not one of them.  If you take a vacation to Bermuda and fly there, how come these people don't think they will die in Bermuda and take insurance.  But for some reason the cruise ship factor, people think different.  I just fear something in my life is going to take priority of the cruise week that I booked 1.5 years in advance.

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Ha ha.  I thought the same thing when I read that but didn't want to say anything

I did not intend to start a debate on travel insurance.  I wanted people to scold me or applaud me for taking NCL insurance.  I must say, I am very interested in the reasons people buy insurance.  I think just like with extended car warranties, people get purposely scared to take them out.  I always read about people afraid of being life flighted from ships. OMG that is the last thing on my mind and is the least possible thing to happen.  I take the insurance for the likely scenarios.  Dying on a cruise ship is not one of them.  If you take a vacation to Bermuda and fly there, how come these people don't think they will die in Bermuda and take insurance.  But for some reason the cruise ship factor, people think different.  I just fear something in my life is going to take priority of the cruise week that I booked 1.5 years in advance.

Often, flying to Bermuda doesn't include high upfront totally non-refundable costs.

We've had several land-only trips where we took out travel insurance.

And sure enough, during one of those trips, I landed in hospital.  Insurance covered almost a week of unplanned stay at the hotel we were supposed to spend only 2 nights at.  (It happened to be a 5 star hotel, so at least DH was in luxury when he wasn't at my side!)

We also had to change pre-paid, non-refundable train tickets, and arrange for different transportation means.

That was our second largest travel insurance claim.

(We *almost* called MedJetAssist that time, but just about as we decided, yup, let's get me home to "our" hospital, I turned the corner.  And we were able to complete the last week of our trip, although I mostly sat around enjoying views, as I didn't have energy for much else.)

But for trips where air fare can be refunded or changed for a modest fee, and hotels are "guaranteed" until day before arrival/etc., then the travel costs are less of an issue.

-->> But someone can get sick anywhere, and THAT is the big exposure for most people if they don't have regular health insurance that covers overseas (that includes plain vanilla Medicare, which covers almost nothing outside the USA).

GC