2 bags per person question

linky99

1 hour ago, gtouch said:

On one cruise we went on we let our daughters pack their own bags........one bag was nothing but shoes.

My son (17) packed his own bag. A single medium sized suitcase for an 8 day cruise. A few pairs of shorts, some t-shirts, 2 pairs pf pajama pants, a whole brand new package of socks, and about 20 pairs of underwear. No lie. He said, "You never know what's gonna happen, Mom." 

This is the same kid who, when he was little, would take 5 pairs of underwear to spend the night at grandma's house. 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

My son (17) packed his own bag. A single medium sized suitcase for an 8 day cruise. A few pairs of shorts, some t-shirts, 2 pairs pf pajama pants, a whole brand new package of socks, and about 20 pairs of underwear. No lie. He said, "You never know what's gonna happen, Mom." 

This is the same kid who, when he was little, would take 5 pairs of underwear to spend the night at grandma's house. 😕

Better safe than sorry.

• Haha 1

When my kids and I travel we get one 21" and a backpack.   No matter how long the trip or Alaska or Caribbean.  It works for us although I know many wouldn't do it, and many do and that is fine.  It is your trip travel as you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KimPossible1 said:

Another tip is to wait till the morning to pack your dress clothes. Leave them on the hangers and lay on the top of everything.  They hardly get wrinkled that way and you can just hung them up 🙂

Good idea

19 hours ago, linky99 said:

It is not my clothing that is taking up all the space. It's all the random crap I learned on this forum for the room. Towel clips, bring your own cups, bring a over the door shoe hanger, make sure to bring your own meds, bring Poopouri for the bathroom, bring hand soap, ....

I agree and it makes the bag heavy too.

• Like 1

Yeah, not true from what I've seen. We've seen a couple with a porter in tow and all their luggage on one of the luggage carts. Far more than 2 pieces per person. In fact, I wondered where they stayed on the ship, since not many cabins had enough storage for all of their luggage!

The most challenging pack we had so far was Alaska.  Our 'normal' Caribbean is a checked suitcase, a checked suit bag, and a carry-on suitcase.  For Alaska we needed one extra duffel.  That's for 2 adults for 7 days.  I'd suppose we're pretty typical.

• Like 1

I love this topic!  Our cruise is just 24 days away now 🙂  We have 4 ladies staying in one cabin 😮.  My SIL and I went on our very first cruise together with my Dad ... totally over packed (yes we had one tote with just shoes).  So we have been giving ourselves pep talks about not over packing this time.  Not sure how successful we will be.  I like options too and have also purchased just about every cabin hack idea I have read about here or watched on youtube... but I am pretty sure my new packing cubes will save the day!!!  LOL

On 4/18/2019 at 11:14 AM, yankeenurse said:

I have never found the need to bring my own cup or soap. A shoe hanger is totally optional as is potpourri.

I like a bar of soap so I always bring one with me so I don't have to use the shower gel.

2 hours ago, cruisinwithdad said:

I love this topic!  Our cruise is just 24 days away now 🙂  We have 4 ladies staying in one cabin 😮.  My SIL and I went on our very first cruise together with my Dad ... totally over packed (yes we had one tote with just shoes).  So we have been giving ourselves pep talks about not over packing this time.  Not sure how successful we will be.  I like options too and have also purchased just about every cabin hack idea I have read about here or watched on youtube... but I am pretty sure my new packing cubes will save the day!!!  LOL

I love my packing cubes and they are very helpful when you have more than 2 in a cabin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinwithdad said:

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my packing cubes! I don't know how we got along without them.  My husband and I have different colored ones and the mesh part let's you see what's in them.  I've found so many uses for them besides clothes.  The smaller ones are great for electronic cords/accessories and medicines/toiletries.  They keep everything so organized!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my packing cubes! I don't know how we got along without them.  My husband and I have different colored ones and the mesh part let's you see what's in them.  I've found so many uses for them besides clothes.  The smaller ones are great for electronic cords/accessories and medicines/toiletries.  They keep everything so organized!

Yes I use them for cords/accessories and medicines too.  I just bought some new ones that are flat, can't wait try them.

• Like 1

My 21 year old daughter must be talking to Sailor Sally because we just took an 11-night cruise recently and she brought one backpack. I said Camille is that all you're taking and she said "Dad I bummed around Europe for six weeks with just this" and that was true, so now a 21-year girl is making her old man look like a clothes horse. 

But then again, if you're young and beautiful, you look gorgeous in anything, including a potato sack, so I guess it makes sense. 

I have a big suitcase and I do the old grab your pants and shirts right out of the closet (hangers and all) and fold them straight into the suitcase. That really is a good way to avoid wrinkles and makes unloading a breeze. Just take everything out of the suitcase hang them right into the closet. 

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...