Victora, BC at night?

HoneymoonCruiser5

We're going on an Alaska cruise next month and we dock in Victoria on a Saturday from 7pm - midnight. What should we do? Is it worth it to go to the gardens that late? We had an excursion for a high tea, but the time was at 10pm which is too late in our opinion. Need help and any advice! Thanks 🙂

We have a similar schedule in September.  In my opinion, it's not worth going to the Gardens.  I don't think there's a lot to do in Victoria given the time constraints.  Many have noted that the stop is mostly an afterthought for the cruise lines to comply with stopping at a foreign port.  There are carriage rides if that's something you think you'd like.  It's a beautiful city, it's a shame we won't be there longer.

Later in the summer, I'd say definitely go to the Gardens, but you're way too early.

It won't be dark until 8:30pm, so I would suggest walking from the pier to the Inner Harbor.  It's about a 20 minute walk but halfway there, you come to the Fishermans Wharf which has restaurants, a community of floating homes, and of course fisherman.  You can walk the rest of the way or take the little putt-putt ferry to the harbor.  The harbor is beautiful ; the Parlaiment Bldgs, Empress Hotel are lovely and get lit up at night. And the harbor is very busy with all kinds of boats and seaplanes.   Afterwards, you can walk back or take a cab.

If you look back a few pages, you;ll find the thread called 2019 RESOURCES for Planning your trip to Alaska ..... I included links for Victoria.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Later in the summer, I'd say definitely go to the Gardens, but you're way too early.

It won't be dark until 8:30pm, so I would suggest walking from the pier to the Inner Harbor.  It's about a 20 minute walk but halfway there, you come to the Fishermans Wharf which has restaurants, a community of floating homes, and of course fisherman.  You can walk the rest of the way or take the little putt-putt ferry to the harbor.  The harbor is beautiful ; the Parlaiment Bldgs, Empress Hotel are lovely and get lit up at night. And the harbor is very busy with all kinds of boats and seaplanes.   Afterwards, you can walk back or take a cab.

If you look back a few pages, you;ll find the thread called 2019 RESOURCES for Planning your trip to Alaska ..... I included links for Victoria.

Thank you so much! We'll definitely do that!

When I talked with the folks at the Butchart Gardens, I was told that May was their transition time and there was not a lot to see. I've been told by some of the locals here on CC, that is not really the case. I'm not sure what the reality is but I suspect some of the local Canadians might chime in. I looked up sunset times for Victoria on May 20th. Not sure when you will be there. Sunset: 20:53, End of civil twilight: 21:32, End of Nautical twilight: 22:23. So there is some usable light until 10:30pm or so unless it is cloudy, May 20th = 50% mostly cloudy. https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/victoria

I'm going to be in Victoria on a Friday night in September and plan on going to the Royal BC Museum down by the Inner Harbour. It is normally open until 10PM on Friday and Saturday night during the summer season (starting the 2nd half of May). I've already been to the Inner Harbour and Fisherman's Wharf. Those are certainly worth checking out if you haven't been there before.

Edited by Cyclone99

2 hours ago, ricko999 said:

Speaking of time in Victoria, how long does it take to get through or returning from customs in the summer?

thx,

We've been there many times. How fast can you walk. When you go through customs in Victoria you pretty much just walk though the building, most of the time they don't look at you. Coming back onto the pier security will check your cruise card.

Edited by Eaglecw

11 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were just in Victoria for a port call earlier this month -- and we did what we generally do in Victoria.  We had a lovely meal at the Bard and Banker pub.  Great food in a historic building.

Nice! Just looked up the Bard, what a gem of a pub! That's right up our alley! THX!