Getaway 4/27/19 Transatlantic Shortened by Two Days

vwlmember

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Sounds like many boarded this cruise determined to be unhappy..and succeeded.  

This has happened to us on numerous cruiselines.  We were very upset but got over it and didn’t let it spoil our vacation. Never ever considered hiring a lawyer. Lawyer fees get out of hand in a hurry. Life happens. We have lost prepaid golf in Dublin, Gleneagles in Scotland and expensive hotel rooms in Hamburg as just a few of our disappointments. I’ve forgotten more instances than I remember. 

• Like 2

I refused to be angry and ruin my one vacation this year. Now that I am off the ship and still fighting the “parting gift” respiratory infection, I do think we were under compensated for expenses for the two days. They were happy to charge me double for my cabin but I will get $300 towards my hotel, car to the airport and food. That all cost over $800 and I spent the two days coughing in my hotel room. So much fun...

• Like 2

There is no doubt that many people got on the ship annoyed and were determined to have a lousy time and had one. The cruise wasn't nearly as bad as people state. Was the atrium crowed? yes, is it always crowded on every Getaway cruise? yes. Did I go there every afternoon and get twp seats ? yes? . Was there  a long line at the guest relations desk the first four days? Yes, but we had 7 sea days there was no reason that people needed to talk to someone the first couple of days. I made reservations the day of for 5 specialty restaurants, I waited for 5 minutes one day at the noodle bar, the hours wait for food is nonsense. People make this cruise sound like mass pandemonium and huge lines everyplace, it just wasn't the reality. The weather wasn't great and that wasn't NCL's fault. When we left NYC the forecast was for 63 in Le Harve , a cold front came in.  Would I have rather had the original itinerary ? Yes thats what I purchased, but I received 25% off this and another cruise. Its not like we weren't compensated. The notion of a class action suit is absurd, groundless and baseless, you can't sue someone because your pissed.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, flipper32 said:

There is no doubt that many people got on the ship annoyed and were determined to have a lousy time and had one. The cruise wasn't nearly as bad as people state. Was the atrium crowed? yes, is it always crowded on every Getaway cruise? yes. Did I go there every afternoon and get twp seats ? yes? . Was there  a long line at the guest relations desk the first four days? Yes, but we had 7 sea days there was no reason that people needed to talk to someone the first couple of days. I made reservations the day of for 5 specialty restaurants, I waited for 5 minutes one day at the noodle bar, the hours wait for food is nonsense. People make this cruise sound like mass pandemonium and huge lines everyplace, it just wasn't the reality. The weather wasn't great and that wasn't NCL's fault. When we left NYC the forecast was for 63 in Le Harve , a cold front came in.  Would I have rather had the original itinerary ? Yes thats what I purchased, but I received 25% off this and another cruise. Its not like we weren't compensated. The notion of a class action suit is absurd, groundless and baseless, you can't sue someone because your pissed.

What you have to take into consideration is that they think if they make it sound like the whole cruise was a disaster, they might get some more compensation. 

I wonder what happened with those that went to their credit card companies to reverse the charge for the cruise?  I know it didn't work on the Breakaway bomb cyclone cruise and wonder if it worked on this cruise. 

Edited by NLH Arizona

2 hours ago, Granny DI said:

This has happened to us on numerous cruiselines.  We were very upset but got over it and didn’t let it spoil our vacation. Never ever considered hiring a lawyer. Lawyer fees get out of hand in a hurry. Life happens. We have lost prepaid golf in Dublin, Gleneagles in Scotland and expensive hotel rooms in Hamburg as just a few of our disappointments. I’ve forgotten more instances than I remember. 

Thank you.....we roll with the punches and the same attitude you have.  It is sad to see people who are determined to stay angry.  No trip is pefect and life happens...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, flipper32 said:

To each his own. I bought a 12 day cruise, and relied on that, subject only to circumstances beyond NCL's control. NCL contracted for that, but on their own decided they preferred to take that from us, then gave us what they chose to, and for their own benefit. Suggesting that the passengers were somehow supposed to know when the shorter lines would come, if ever (the ship sure as hell didn't help) while ignoring the responsibility falling on us to rearrange many issues - changes/additional in booking at UK, etc., etc. But gave NO help or info, except by standing in this line - none of which was the result of being pissed (though pissed most people were) - and while the ship got rich selling internet HOURS (no support here either). As for compensation, the 25% hardly returned what NCL didn't provide.  They sure as hell didn't offer to refund my non-refundable airline tickets, and another 25% off a cruise I couldn't take - convenient for them, but zero value for me. 

I would be happy to participate in a suit, not because there had to be a change to our schedule, but because THERE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE A CHANGE.  And even worse, NCL kept this info from us until we had little choice but to go on this cruise we didn't buy.  The bad weather was exacerbated by not going to Azores, - and there was nothing there that prevented the ship from going south to  there (then north). And please note that 50% of our ports were taken from us, not 25%.  Anyway, glad you enjoyed the cruise.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, JSSIII1970 said:

To each his own. I bought a 12 day cruise, and relied on that, subject only to circumstances beyond NCL's control. NCL contracted for that, but on their own decided they preferred to take that from us, then gave us what they chose to, and for their own benefit. Suggesting that the passengers were somehow supposed to know when the shorter lines would come, if ever (the ship sure as hell didn't help) while ignoring the responsibility falling on us to rearrange many issues - changes/additional in booking at UK, etc., etc. But gave NO help or info, except by standing in this line - none of which was the result of being pissed (though pissed most people were) - and while the ship got rich selling internet HOURS (no support here either). As for compensation, the 25% hardly returned what NCL didn't provide.  They sure as hell didn't offer to refund my non-refundable airline tickets, and another 25% off a cruise I couldn't take - convenient for them, but zero value for me. 

I would be happy to participate in a suit, not because there had to be a change to our schedule, but because THERE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE A CHANGE.  And even worse, NCL kept this info from us until we had little choice but to go on this cruise we didn't buy.  The bad weather was exacerbated by not going to Azores, - and there was nothing there that prevented the ship from going south to  there (then north). And please note that 50% of our ports were taken from us, not 25%.  Anyway, glad you enjoyed the cruise.

Your gonna have most of the old guard come after you here, just ignore it.  Use this site to gather info and gather people who might be interested in contacting an attorney, you will never win the mind and hearts  of the cheerleaders here.  If you try you will just get frustrated, dont waste your time.  Good Luck with your quest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

Thank you.....we roll with the punches and the same attitude you have.  It is sad to see people who are determined to stay angry.  No trip is pefect and life happens...

What???  We're not talking about a meal that was a little late coming to the table!  We're not talking about how the elevators are slow.  This is totally different.  Can't you see the difference?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

When did NCL find out about the change?

Based on the info that the Getaway passengers have previously posted on various threads, NCL didn't "find out about the change," NCL decided of its own volition to take the Getaway to a long-scheduled dry dock two days early, and shorten the TA by two days.   What does not seem to have come out (yet) is when NCL decided to do this.   Some posts have said crew on the Getaway were talking about the change days before NCL informed passengers.    (I have no personal information about this, I'm just reporting as to what I've read here on CC, including on the Roll Call for this cruise.)

23 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Based on the info that the Getaway passengers have previously posted on various threads, NCL didn't "find out about the change," NCL decided of its own volition to take the Getaway to a long-scheduled dry dock two days early, and shorten the TA by two days.   What does not seem to have come out (yet) is when NCL decided to do this.   Some posts have said crew on the Getaway were talking about the change days before NCL informed passengers.    (I have no personal information about this, I'm just reporting as to what I've read here on CC, including on the Roll Call for this cruise.)

I was asking JSSIII1970, because the poster seemed to have some inside information, based on what they said. 

Wondering if there the dry dock slot became available at the last minute because another ship was finished early and they needed more time for some issue.  Guess we will never know.  I wouldn't be surprised if the crew on the ship knew about it a couple of days before it was announced, because some times it takes a couple of days for the management of a company to advise their customers, but the way some are posting NCL knew about prior to final payment. 

I hope if someone does sue, we hear about it and find out accurate information instead of folks guessing.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

I was asking JSSIII1970, because the poster seemed to have some inside information, based on what they said. 

Wondering if there the dry dock slot became available at the last minute because another ship was finished early and they needed more time for some issue.  Guess we will never know.  I wouldn't be surprised if the crew on the ship knew about it a couple of days before it was announced, because some times it takes a couple of days for the management of a company to advise their customers, but the way some are posting NCL knew about prior to final payment. 

I hope if someone does sue, we hear about it and find out accurate information instead of folks guessing.

Don't know for sure. I was in the Navy for 30 years. Planned Availability for dock repairs are typically scheduled a year in advance or more. I am SURE this was an optional/desired schedule  change for some value to NCL, or they would not have done it - maybe they got a better rate for what otherwise would have been a downtime loss to the repair facility.  Normally these tend to be delayed (parts/materials, etc.). But, really,  they couldn't wait 2 days that had to already have been planned for???  Again, my issue isn't that NCL had to change the schedule, rather, it's that they they likely DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE IT, but they did so without making our options clear, timely, nor fair. I still want to know why they did this - for sure that would show they didn't give a care about us, if not purposely covering up this change.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JSSIII1970 said:

Again, my issue isn't that NCL had to change the schedule, rather, it's that they they likely DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE IT, but they did so without making our options clear, timely, nor fair. I still want to know why they did this - for sure that would show they didn't give a care about us, if not purposely covering up this change.   

Hopefully you will file a lawsuit, so that we can, all in the end, know what the real deal was, instead of speculating that they didn't have to change it.  Good luck.

To go off topic-- after the news coming from Princess Cruise tonight out of Ketichkan, Alaska all of the complaints about this cruise are extremely minor to what is happening right now.  Two float planes carrying 14 Royal Princess passengers have crashed.  Last report I saw says 5 people have been killed and one is missing.  The others all have injuries from critical to minor.

To address some contractual issues - I am NOT a lawyer:

1.  I had a friend who was injured on the Epic and decided to sue.  She used a Miami attorney who sued under maritime law.  Datapoint here.  Assumption is that a maritime atty like the one my friend used would know how & where to sue IF a suit was warranted.

2.  I read the contract, and although it says it can CHANGE the itinerary, I don't see where it says is it can REDUCE THE NUMBER OF DAYS.  Closest thing is that they can return to port or go to a port early.  They could have arrived in Southampton on Day 10 and allowed pax to use ship as a floating hotel by my read and that would have been legit (again, NOT a lawyer here).  Does anyone see language which says they can give you fewer nights on board than were in the originally-booked cruise?  Post if here if you do.

Sorry for not replhing to the Princess Cruise post, my heart goes out to the affected pax.

The problem is you are reading the contract in a way to support your argument that NCL cannot shorten the cruise. They have the legal right to change the itinerary. The itinerary is not the ports, its not the route its the entire voyage. Itinerary is defined as 

the route of a journey or tour or the proposed outline of one, the word clearly covers the entire voyage. On top of that our cruise was reduced in length by 16% and we received 25% off of this trip, and an equal amount on another trip. No logical court is ever going to say the compensation was inadequate. 

• Like 1

Regardless of where it stands for those of us who purchased before the itinerary change, I want to see the company charged with fraud for selling the cruise to people who purchased after the change that believed they were getting a 12-day voyage.  

1 hour ago, flipper32 said:

The problem is you are reading the contract in a way to support your argument that NCL cannot shorten the cruise. They have the legal right to change the itinerary. The itinerary is not the ports, its not the route its the entire voyage. Itinerary is defined as 

the route of a journey or tour or the proposed outline of one, the word clearly covers the entire voyage. On top of that our cruise was reduced in length by 16% and we received 25% off of this trip, and an equal amount on another trip. No logical court is ever going to say the compensation was inadequate. 

Bottom line: NCL caused damage by their purposeful, self-serving actions and changes, when they EASILY could have complied with their obligations, and then they decided what compensation THEY felt appropriate with no knowledge what those damages were or would be. 

Now, as a minimum, each passenger who feels cheated should be placing NCL on written notice (a simple letter works) what those actual damages were, INCLUDING a reservation for the intrinsic damages if those are not yet quantified. 

Doing dry dock work on a cruise prior to dry dock is NOTHING NEW.  The passengers on The Sun endured THREE weeks of disruption a couple of years ago.

Threads on this site and several others sites are always discussion taxes on drinks while in port especially at Embarkation.- nothing new.

I am very sorry that your cruise did not go as hoped. 

16 hours ago, Osnab said:

What???  We're not talking about a meal that was a little late coming to the table!  We're not talking about how the elevators are slow.  This is totally different.  Can't you see the difference?

Of course I can see the difference, was just saying that if it was us, we would take the 25% refund, plan another trip with the 25% off future cruise, apply the $300 to any expenses we had IF we were to change airline/hotel arrangements and be done with it.  OF COURSE your mileage may vary.  Contacting an attorney is one's own decision, but letting anger build this high is not good for anyone's mental or physical health.  We had a mix up in docking time on a cruise we have booked in early Sept, we could have used our cancel for any reason insurance (that we ALWAYS purchase as it gives you flexibility) but decided to turn lemons into lemonade and enjoy our coming trip.

17 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I refused to be angry and ruin my one vacation this year. Now that I am off the ship and still fighting the “parting gift” respiratory infection, I do think we were under compensated for expenses for the two days. They were happy to charge me double for my cabin but I will get $300 towards my hotel, car to the airport and food. That all cost over $800 and I spent the two days coughing in my hotel room. So much fun...

Hey Zippedee I too disembarked with a wicked respiratory infection. Had to get medical assistance in Bruges. Have the the whole of my time in the UK since recovering. Insult to injury...

I feel like I was on a different ship than some of you, slow elevators? Waiting for hours to eat? Long lines everywhere? Bad crew attitude? I saw none of it, it sounds like a combination of people that showed up determined to have a lousy time and succeeded, and people that were expecting a small ship experience, which Getaway can't be. 

• Like 1

I think so many of you make valid points, that said the largest factor that is missing out, is the timing and announcement to passengers. Not only was the itinerary changed. But most folks did not find out until 6-8 days out (if they were lucky). I was checking NCL every day for upgrades and had the NCL app... I sill did not find out until CC. I even messaged NCL on twitter only to have the Official NCL account CONFIRM that the itinerary was 12 days with as planned ports... So regardless of if you think the comp was or wasn't adequate, or if NCL knew or did not know... It does not change the fact that they should have notified passengers sooner and in a better manner than the ambiguous banner that eventually did display 96 hours out on the NCL page. 

Also let's not forget that they then changed the itinerary AGAIN following the holiday weekend. So those of us that made arrangements to then see France or Belgium, because they had been removed in the 2nd version of the itinerary were sorely frustrated when they were then again added back.  While we made a great time of it and the water was pleasant during our crossing. The attitude of many staff and the cleanliness of the ship were undeniably impacted. The bathrooms by Tropicana literally smelled like cat litter and urine the ENTIRE cruise, foul. Oh and one last thing, we were told that all of our excursions were canceled and this was confirmed by the NCL phone agents before departure, only to find tickets and billing for said excursions upon day two of our trip. And for the record the Customer Service desk was immensely long until day 7 or 8, believe me... I know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OscarMcSloth said:

I think so many of you make valid points, that said the largest factor that is missing out, is the timing and announcement to passengers. Not only was the itinerary changed. But most folks did not find out until 6-8 days out (if they were lucky). I was checking NCL every day for upgrades and had the NCL app... I sill did not find out until CC. I even messaged NCL on twitter only to have the Official NCL account CONFIRM that the itinerary was 12 days with as planned ports... So regardless of if you think the comp was or wasn't adequate, or if NCL knew or did not know... It does not change the fact that they should have notified passengers sooner and in a better manner than the ambiguous banner that eventually did display 96 hours out on the NCL page. 

Also let's not forget that they then changed the itinerary AGAIN following the holiday weekend. So those of us that made arrangements to then see France or Belgium, because they had been removed in the 2nd version of the itinerary were sorely frustrated when they were then again added back.  While we made a great time of it and the water was pleasant during our crossing. The attitude of many staff and the cleanliness of the ship were undeniably impacted. The bathrooms by Tropicana literally smelled like cat litter and urine the ENTIRE cruise, foul. Oh and one last thing, we were told that all of our excursions were canceled and this was confirmed by the NCL phone agents before departure, only to find tickets and billing for said excursions upon day two of our trip. And for the record the Customer Service desk was immensely long until day 7 or 8, believe me... I know.

Hear, hear. Completely agree with everything you said. I complained twice about the deplorable state of the public bathrooms by Tropicana and the Theatre. The stink of urine and out of order cublicles completely put me off ever going in there.

• Like 1