Is Formal Night a thing of the past?

evitacruiser

1 hour ago, Spender Nui said:

Things have changed over the years.  I used to take a tux and also a white dinner jacket and would alternate on formal nights.  I'm OK with country club casual but I've seen some it get sloppy.

I still pack the white dinner jacket. Keeps my dance card full ... 👍

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 10:34 PM, Oville said:

Formal nights or Chic nights?

Sorry I wrote “formal” instead of chic. You are correct, it is chic now. There were a large number of Australian friends on board and they really seem to dress in the evenings. It was a most enjoyable cruise, but unfortunately a number of folks by the time the 3rd chic night arrived, did not bother to make the effort to dress up at all. Did it keep us from enjoying the evening? Absolutely not!  Just an observation to give you an idea of how it was.

4 hours ago, PAsailors2 said:

Sorry I wrote “formal” instead of chic. You are correct, it is chic now. There were a large number of Australian friends on board and they really seem to dress in the evenings. It was a most enjoyable cruise, but unfortunately a number of folks by the time the 3rd chic night arrived, did not bother to make the effort to dress up at all. Did it keep us from enjoying the evening? Absolutely not!  Just an observation to give you an idea of how it was.

Your interpretation of Celebrity's evening chic dress guidelines for the MDR or Celebrity's definition of evening chic.  

I think Princess is the only mid-market line still call Formal Night - Formal Night.  As with all of the other lines,, there is no enforced dress code.  (aside from the obvious every night requirements)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUZBUDS said:

I think Princess is the only mid-market line still call Formal Night - Formal Night.  As with all of the other lines,, there is no enforced dress code.  (aside from the obvious every night requirements)  

RC still has formal evenings. It's a suggestion in the Cruise Compass for the evening in the MDR (MTD).  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Formal Night as it was in the "Old Days" when EVERYONE dressed formally for dinner and stayed dressed for the entire evening is a thing of the past.  

Times change and it's up to us to change with them.  :classic_wink:

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

RC still has formal evenings. It's a suggestion in the Cruise Compass for the evening in the MDR (MTD).  

I stand corrected, thank you.  I thought Princess was the last hold-out

6 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Cunard still does, of course, and since its prices are comparable with Princess and HAL and now often cheaper than Celebrity, it’s definitely mid-market.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, CardRock said:

How did we do?

982641259_cruisepic1.thumb.JPG.e78829de0c9a91635261a89decf9b028.JPG2094833841_CruisePic2.thumb.JPG.25cc1d97ed270dd57e299f6187057bd0.JPG

Love it! Especially the second one, with you two color coordinating beautifully with the blue. And I dig your DH's geeky sneakers!! You both look wonderful, hope dinner was just as amazing.