Is Formal Night a thing of the past?

evitacruiser

12 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

I like a bit of both.  Yes people, I wear jet black jeans with a black polo shirt and a black tux jacket.

Not a shocker. Right in line with Celebrity's current evening dress guidelines. 

Edited by davekathy

11 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Remember that also and the thing was everyone dressed up or you could only eat in your room.  No specialties and Celebrity for years did not have the buffet open for dinner.   

...and one of the formal evenings Celebrity did the midnight (grand) buffet. Plenty of video to remember it by. What's was I thinking.:classic_rolleyes: 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

I like a bit of both.  Yes people, I wear jet black jeans with a black polo shirt and a black tux jacket.

Do you ever get mistaken for Johnny Cash?

I do like a bit of formal but its just extra stuff to pack for 3 evenings and to be honest, I would rather dedicate that space in my

suitcase for other things.

Johnny who??? hold on, let me google him......  Ohhh.... nope... I have heard of him but he is a bit before my time.

23 hours ago, George C said:

Speaking of shoes there was a person in luminae who removed his shoes when dinning, that’s when we requested a table far away. 

That's terrible.  Not very good judgement or manners by that person,  I suspect he was in formal dress.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:42 PM, George C said:

Speaking of shoes there was a person in luminae who removed his shoes when dinning, that’s when we requested a table far away. 

Why is that any worse than someone that wears those rubber flip flops in a dining venue. 

Good point!  Some very expensive women's evening shoes provide no more foot coverage than a bejeweled toe thong.

Anyone who is bothered by bare feet would need to do a lot of table changing to avoid sitting near someone whose feet are exposed that way. 🤨

In our society, it seems much more acceptable for women to expose their feet that way at dinner time than for men.

But I recall a woman posting only a few years ago that she was once denied entrance to a Captain's Club event for wearing sandals!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Still working through this then, eh? Splendid! Carry on...

Don't you realize that these dress code argument threads go on and on forever..... even though there is nothing left to argue about as people can wear just about anything they want. 😁

But even though formal nights are long gone,  it is not enough that people can wear almost anything they want.  Some also want to dictate what other people should wear.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, varoo said:

But even though formal nights are long gone,  it is not enough that people can wear almost anything they want.  Some also want to dictate what other people should wear.

Bingo !!!  Excellent summary

The confusion with X dress codes can have unfortunate consequences. On a Silhoutte cruise a year chic night i was in Tux DW long dress we were put on a table with another Brit couple who were in shirt and trousers and cocktail dress. No problem at all. We were then joined by 3 Brit gentlemen in full tux. The other couple were immediately uncomfortable, spent the whole meal apologising, the wife could be heard to say several times "I told you" and they rushed off at the earliest opportunity.

For various reasons the 3 guys were some of the best table mates we have ever had and we talked late into the evening. We all tried to engage the other couple but they just couldn't relax. We saw them in the Martini Bar after and they were still apologising and were aware it was one of those rare very good tables but hadn't been able to join in fully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

I believe Celebrity offers a nude cruise- Perhaps that would work for everyone!  LOL

Yes there is such a cruise. Not sure I'd like to be on the cruise following it knowing bare bums have been sitting on seats all over the ship.

I much prefer wearing my tux on chic/formal nights. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Yes there is such a cruise. Not sure I'd like to be on the cruise following it knowing bare bums have been sitting on seats all over the ship.

An option for those who prefer not to dress!  Bring sanitizer wipes!

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

FYI, my bare bum sits all over the cabin and I suspect that the guy in your cabin before you did the same.

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I believe Celebrity offers a nude cruise- Perhaps that would work for everyone!  LOL

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Yes, more details here if you are interested:

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

Yes, more details here if you are interested:

Ah! So it's a nude CRUISE not nude CREWS - thought for a minute I'd finally understood the fascination with Captain Ka..

Ah! So it's a nude CRUISE not nude CREWS - thought for a minute I'd finally understood all the interest with Captain Ka...

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Cruise a holic said:

We may have been on the same cruise!  Or we were on a cruise with a man dressed with the tux tee shirt!  I guess he didn't own dress clothes so he figured that the tee shirt would be a good way to get attention. LOL

We weren’t on the equinox then.  We cruise about 4 times a year and I don’t recall when we saw that fellow.  

25 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Ah! So it's a nude CRUISE not nude CREWS - thought for a minute I'd finally understood all the interest with Captain Ka...