Is Formal Night a thing of the past?

evitacruiser

20 hours ago, evitacruiser said:

I was just reading about the dress code for our upcoming trip and from what I have read Formal night is no more. So is a Tuxedo not required now? It would lighten our luggage load but we do enjoy the dressing for dinner aspect. Do some cruisers still do the full-on formal attire or has it completely gone? 

Was on the Silhouette in March.  Many people do dress up.  Some more formally then others.  We saw men in tux, dinner jackets, suits and sports jackets.  Many ladies opted for dresses, long, short and midi.  Also many ladies wore fancy pants and tops.  So you can dress up.  Today because of a variety of fabrics, ladies dress clothes are very light and packable.  Men, still pack pants and shirts and ties and belts do not take up much space.  Also those men who want to save the money and take minimal luggage could wear their sports jacket on the plane. 

I do not understand why people think bringing dressy clothes truly lighten's the luggage load.  When we spend a few thousand dollars on a cruise, I typically do not understand what the problem spending a few extra dollars for luggage is or waiting a little longer to disembark- but to each his/her own.  Also, many credit cards give an airline credit with their cards to be used on luggage and other airline extra's.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sailco said:

Wearing full length evening gown and tux my husband and I were sat next to a couple in sweats and ugh boots on formal night. We quietly asked our waiter to find us another table which he did.

Why would you ask to be moved because someone else nearby chose to go casual?

Did they smell?

Did they eat with their mouths open spewing food across the way in your direction?

Did they talk loudly with curse words every third syllable?

You just didn’t like how they dressed?

Great. Next people will be asking to move because they don’t think their dining neighbors are attractive enough or are too fat or old to sit near them. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Why would you ask to be moved because someone else nearby chose to go casual?

Did they smell?

Did they eat with their mouths open spewing food across the way in your direction?

Did they talk loudly with curse words every third syllable?

You just didn’t like how they dressed?

Great. Next people will be asking to move because they don’t think their dining neighbors are attractive enough or are too fat or old to sit near them. 

It's up to sailco to decide who he/she wishes to sit next to.  So long as sailco didn't say anything to the other couple, it's nobody else's business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Was on the Silhouette in March.  Many people do dress up.  Some more formally then others.  We saw men in tux, dinner jackets, suits and sports jackets.  Many ladies opted for dresses, long, short and midi.  Also many ladies wore fancy pants and tops.  So you can dress up.  Today because of a variety of fabrics, ladies dress clothes are very light and packable.  Men, still pack pants and shirts and ties and belts do not take up much space.  Also those men who want to save the money and take minimal luggage could wear their sports jacket on the plane. 

I do not understand why people think bringing dressy clothes truly lighten's the luggage load.  When we spend a few thousand dollars on a cruise, I typically do not understand what the problem spending a few extra dollars for luggage is or waiting a little longer to disembark- but to each his/her own.  Also, many credit cards give an airline credit with their cards to be used on luggage and other airline extra's.  

For us, it is not about the cash, it is about the convenience of not having huge amounts of luggage to transport around Venice as we stay there pre-cruise. 

Unless you travel from the airport by private water taxi it also limits the hotels you can stay in. We have been there and done that and it is a real issue in that city (unlike most others) Ladies formal wear is not an issue but packing a tux is, as they do take up a lot of suitcase room if packed correctly.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sailco said:

Wearing full length evening gown and tux my husband and I were sat next to a couple in sweats and ugh boots on formal night. We quietly asked our waiter to find us another table which he did.

We also asked to be moved in luminae last year for same reason .

• Like 2

Formal wear has gone the way of the dodo most everywhere (even at formerly "formal" events), just like "Sunday dress" is a lot more casual these days.  Many of the people who still wear formal wear on cruises look awful in it because a lot of what is seen is very dated.  Gowns from 30 years ago, complete with 80s-style shoulder pads, often accompanied by makeup and hairstyles to match .  Ladies, it's not retro if you owned it the first time around.  Tuxes from  20 years + 10 sizes ago straining at the seams, a violent cough away from putting an eye out with a projectile button.  Those cheap bow ties worn with a winged collar where you see the clip mechanism.   Wearing winged collars at all, for that matter (technically for white tie but often it screams 90s prom when seen in the wild).  Now that I think about it, I notice a lot more fashion-don'ts when someone decides to put on the costume pieces to play dress-up.

One consideration for men and packing is that I do not want to waste space on bringing a pair of dress shoes for two nights of a cruise.  Like many, I try to do carry-on only these days and shoes are the first place to scale back.  My day-to-day shoes pair nicely with slacks but wouldn't look good with a tux.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

Unfortunately, what has not stopped is people whining about how some people are insulting them by not dressing up.

Let them whine and continue dressing any way you want.

they are only embarrassing themselves in doing so.

• Like 4

Some people enjoy dressing up for a formal night dinner.  My question is why do the people who dress like slobs insist on poking fun at people who enjoy dressing for dinner.  Sweat pants, flip flops, T-shirts, baseball hats and beach wear are all frowned upon by the ship’s personnel.  They appreciate the effort especially when they, themselves, have to dress up on formal nights.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Some people enjoy dressing up for a formal night dinner.  My question is why do the people who dress like slobs insist on poking fun at people who enjoy dressing for dinner.  Sweat pants, flip flops, T-shirts, baseball hats and beach wear are all frowned upon by the ship’s personnel.  They appreciate the effort especially when they, themselves, have to dress up on formal nights. 

I would never wear anything from your list of what "slobs" wear.  I meet or exceed the dress code set by the cruise line.

The staff are wearing uniforms, so I don't think it's accurate to say they're dressing up, unless you concede that the antiquated ideas behind "formal night" espoused by many are, in fact, in service to a costume party.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, edstrek said:

I personally enjoy dressing up on Formal nights. Yes I will wear a TUX. I also wear a button shirt with slacks to dinner normally.

Ed & Carol Formal 11 2018_ 3.jpg

Ed_ Carol_Formal 2_11_ 2018.jpg

aren't you Lord Ballister of the Hamptons?

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

I would never wear anything from your list of what "slobs" wear.  I meet or exceed the dress code set by the cruise line.

The staff are wearing uniforms, so I don't think it's accurate to say they're dressing up, unless you concede that the antiquated ideas behind "formal night" espoused by many are, in fact, in service to a costume party.

Why would you assume I am talking about you?  The staff have formal night uniforms that are dressier than regular nights or theme nights.  Your idea of a costume party is out of touch with the sea-going traditions that have been in practice for the past 150 years.  Some people think they are the self appointed arbiters of good taste who espouse the current grunge look.  There are those of us who will continue the formal tradition at sea and simply ignore those who do not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

People who don't dress up aren't 'poking fun' at those who enjoy dressing up. They are simply dressing the way they like to dress. I doubt they care what other people wear.

Sorry but I have seen many on these forums who like to justify their own style, or lack there of, by ridiculing those who dress for dinner on formal nights.  Everyone is entitled to dress neatly but when I see gym wear, baseball hats, flip flops and T-shirts in the dining room at dinner I draw the line.  It is a show of disrespect...especially to the people who work there...a matter of good manners.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Sorry but I have seen many on these forums who like to justify their own style, or lack there of, by ridiculing those who dress for dinner on formal nights.  Everyone is entitled to dress neatly but when I see gym wear, baseball hats, flip flops and T-shirts in the dining room at dinner I draw the line.  It is a show of disrespect...especially to the people who work there...a matter of good manners.

To bad some of the staff at the entrance to the MDR do not share your same opinion. 

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, bobndee said:

It's up to sailco to decide who he/she wishes to sit next to.  So long as sailco didn't say anything to the other couple, it's nobody else's business.

I agree, up until the point when sailco posted their view on a Social Media Platform....

• Like 1

Hey times have changed, might as well just accept it, no point stressing about things you can’t change, leave any enforcement down to the staff in the MDR. If you still want a dress code that is, on the whole enforced Cunard is available to all. Old style cruising where tradition is still valued.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

To bad some of the staff at the entrance to the MDR do not share your same opinion. 

But they do...they overlook a lot.  That is not to say they are happy about it.  Again, they appreciate the effort...I know...I have been told many times.

It is for me.   My last formal day and  night was when  I got married.   🤗.  Our children had informal weddings.  It was really more practical,  just as meaningful,  more comfortable and as much fun during and after.  😍🥰😜

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My question is why do the people who dress like slobs insist on poking fun at people who enjoy dressing for dinner.

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

There are those of us who will continue the formal tradition at sea and simply ignore those who do not. 

Calling people slobs because they don't exceed the dress code requested by the cruise line is ignoring them?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Calling people slobs because they don't exceed the dress code requested by the cruise line is ignoring them?

How else would you describe a person who shows up in the MDR in gym shorts, dirty T-shirt and flip flops?  I have seen this happen...fortunately the Maitre D’ ordered the table cleared and refused to serve him.  Like I said...it is a matter of manners.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, yorky said:

Why do threads on dress code always have to end up with abuse being thrown around ? Live and let live and just do what makes you happy on your holiday.

Because people love to announce “It is my cruise and I will do what I want”.  They miss the point that it is about good manners.  I do not care if someone is dressed in khaki pants and a neat shirt on formal night...as long as it is clean and neat.  But this does not preclude those of us who enjoy celebrating formal nights to the fullest.  ..and should not eliminate formal night all-together.  

• Like 2